I have no Celebrity Crushes. Anyone else or am I alone?

CateEight

Let's Talk Celebrity Crushes, or lack there of. I want to know if there are other people like me out there.

Everyone else I know has celebrity crushes and it sometimes comes up in casual conversations. However, I do not have and have never had a celebrity crush (or even a celebrity squish). I can easily list a hand full of actors or actresses I find aesthetically attractive or I like their work. So in a pinch if I have to give a name I can throw one out, but when someone later makes a comment about me having said celebrity crush, I usually cringe and feel uncomfortable. I feel the need to correct them and essentially I'll be caught lying. But it feels worse then a lie since I am miss representing how I truly fell and I am claiming to be someone I am not. I also don't understand the crazes with Ryan Gosling, Channing Tatum, Ruby Rose, etc.

I wanted to see if anyone else was in the same boat and lacked celebrity crushes. I figured this would be a good place to ask. If you have any advice on what you say when the topic comes up in conversations it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

CateEight

A little bit about myself:

I know I am asexual but it is difficult to tell if or where I fit in on the aro spectrum. I am in a long term romantic relationship now and that's what makes it hard for me to determine my romantic orientation. Possibly demiromantic?... possibly romantic?... I will figure it out eventually.

I've never had a crush on a celebrity. I crush on people because of their personality + aesthetics.

Horse Ham Radio

Never had a single crush on a celebrity. Usually just pretend I do when it comes up in conversation as it is just easier to pretend. I just pick one someone else has a crush on and say I do too.

Nope, never had any.

Ive always only had squishes on celebrities...mostly male but occasionally females too.

Whenever I'm asked about crushes I'll just say "I don't have one but I think Justin Timberlake is cool..."

(By choosing an older married guy with a kid, my friends would obviously know that I don't want to date him which is the point!; I don't have a crush!)

touching-not-so-much

This is the same issue I have with "sexy" - I'm not sure if it's anything more than a buzzword, or it's just me that it means something I can't identify with.

I've always liked Geena Davis, and I guess Gillian Anderson, but really more her X-Files character, and I guess I had a sort of periperal "liking" to Marina Sirtis when Star Trek TNG was on. None of them were.. I don't know, the sort of thing I feel like could be called a "crush" (I've only had a couple in my life, and they involved feeling funny, nervous excitable anticipation and euporia), as I really don't reference anyone until they're relevant (like a show is on with someone I like). I'd probably come closer to saying I was more likely to have a long-term admiration of some pro wrestlers like Ricky the Dragon Steamboat or Chris Adams - not crushes or squishes I'm sure, but about as close as I get to someone I don't know.

So I'd say no, you're not alone - I've never had a "celebrity" crush.

TRexPhilbo

I have no celebrity crushes or squishes.

And I hate the idea of "celebrity culture" anyway - they're just people and I don't see why they're subjected to all this constant attention from the public. David Tennant came to film at my university and everyone went to go and get pictures and stuff with him while he was on a break from filming, but I didn't go because it was a break from filming and celebrities need time off too.

IDK what counts. - In the early 90s I had a crush on the author of a book published in 1980 but was aware that the 12 - 14 years in between were an obstacle. -

Do celebrity crushes have to be upon people in the current time period?

Anthracite_Impreza

I'm aro so I've never had a crush on anyone, but I've never had a squish on a celebrity either, unless we count The Flying Scotsman and The Mallard <3

Rising Sun

No, you're not alone !

IL0dh.gif

I never had any celebrity crush or squish.

I had a few fictional squishes though, including a very big one starting when I was little, but on TV or in movies it's really the character's personality that I like, nothing to do with the actor.

Hermit Advocate

^ I have also had a few fictional squishes.

SpeedinThroughSpace

Never had a celebrity crush. I was sure people make them up until very recently.

LadyRadiance

I never understood the concept of having a crush on a celebrity. You don't even know the person, you just know their on-screen persona. Even when I was a kid, I always rolled my eyes at the resident pretty boy celebrities that all the girls fawned over. So yeah, the answer is no.

i have never had a celebrity crush either. when i am around people who are talking about who they find "hot" or "sexy"... , i find it easier to be honest and say i don't have crushes on people i don't know. i figure, why hide who i am or be uncomfortable? my friends tend to be supportive even if they don't feel the same way. if not, i don't want to be friends with them.

champagnerain

I feel super uncomfortable when people ask me which celebrities I like/have a crush on. If I take some time to analyze it, I can usually say, "Yeah, I guess X is good looking," but unless asked to think about it, I rarely even notice that. Most of the time, when I "like" a celebrity, it has more to do with a character they played that I find intriguing or something, but the celebrities themselves hold basically no appeal for me. I don't really understand why people like or idolize celebrities for the most part.

I mean, I guess most celebrities are more attractive than average - after all, attractiveness is pretty important for most things that people get famous for doing, and they have lots of time/money to devote to their appearance - but even so, I feel no more attraction toward them than I would for any "average" person.

Add me to the list of people who don't have celebrity crushes.

I am not particularly interested in celebrities. When it comes to actors, it is the characters the actors portray that I find interesting, rather than the actors themselves. I can respect an actor for the skill they have. I can (sometimes) recognise that they are good looking. If I come across an interview, I might even suspect that they could be interesting. But crush? No.

In fact, quite often I don't want to know anything about the actors who play my favourite characters because I want to believe in the characters, and I find knowing too much about the actor makes it harder to lose myself in a drama.

As for other celebrities... Most of the time, I have no idea who they are or what they are famous for. And I really have no interest in celebrities who are famous simply for being famous.

If I crush / squish on anyone (and I suspect that, if I do anything, it would count as a squish), it will be on a fictional character, either from literature or film or television.

I've never had a crush (or squish) on a celebrity. On the other hand, I'm probably demiromantic, so I couldn't really since I don't know them well.

My general thoughts toward celebrities is "wear more clothing for pictures, and put all that money of yours towards better use in this world!" Obviously there are plenty of celebrities that this doesn't apply to, but with that general attitude toward them, it is unsurprising that I wouldn't have a crush on any celebrities.

I have no crushes. There are certain celebrities I like to watch and think they're talented and follow their careers.

I don't even know many celebrities, let alone have crushes on them.

I have never experienced a crush toward anyone I didn't consider a friend (I honestly don't even think I can), and since I'm not friends with any celebrities...

El-not-so-ace

I've had so many fictional crushes but only once did I ever have a celebrity crush and that's because a friend literally spammed me with his awesomeness... When I started falling fior my now boyfriend, that celebrity crush left.

I always get less attached to actors than their characters since I know that personality-wise, I usually wouldn't like them. A character goes through situations that they never would and can be so much more amazing than a regular human being (or actor in general).

Hooded_Crow

Never had any celebrity crush and it definitely contributed to my feeling alienated from my classmates from middle school onwards. Whenever girls were talking about this, I would just make myself tiny and hope they wouldn't ask me about *my* crush. Because when they did and I said "I don't have any", they would just plain not believe me. And I had to defend myself and stand my ground and I hate that.

Should have clued me in, really. Made me realise that I was asexual. I mean I know we're just talking about "crushes" so typically romantic things, but there was a big part of my classmates' sexuality that showed in their talks about their celebrity crushes.

Tyger Songbird

Nope. I don't have any crushes on anyone at all now. I don't want to either. Nope. In no way do I want that..

ChillaKilla

I had a few before I knew I was aro, and even then they were more like "celebrity squishes" :P

Are there celebrities I'd hook up with? Most definitely.
Are there some I'd hang out with and be "bros" with? Hell yeah.

Dating them, though? Marrying?! Ew ew ew ew ew :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Nope, no crushes on celebrities, though there are a few that I can think of that I would TOTALLY want to be friends with. As some of the other comments have said, I tend to get more attached to characters, not so much the actor/actress playing/voicing them.

Cat Obsessed

Nope. No crushes (or squishes) on celebrities

• 2 weeks later...
LittleBrownSparrow

No crushes on celebrities. I can easily say they're good looking but that's it. I'd like several of them to be my friend.

When I find a celebrity aesthetically attractive or interesting I just call them my crush if the topic comes up. A nice chunk (not a majority) of the people who say they have celebrity crushes probably don't mean actual butterflies in the stomach, dreaming of marriage, kiss kiss blah blah type crushes. We just think certain celebrities seem pretty nice.

Archived