Top Surgery for a Cisgender Female (UK perspective)

SplishBudgie

SplishBudgie

So, I'm a cisgender woman who tends to prefer a slightly more masculine appearance. Everything is fine downstairs, but I have LONG loathe having breasts and was looking into a cosmetic double mastectomy.

Since I do not identify as transgender, I understand that this will need to be a private operation. I have never dealt with private healthcare before, so this is rather scary territory as well as, y'know, pretty intensive surgery.

People from the UK (any part), can you offer your own experience/perspective into top surgery? What was recovery like? What was the pain like? Anything in particular you want someone thinking about the procedure to think over? I am not interested in the 'cosmetic' aspect (i.e. make the nipples into earrings, I don't want them, the anchor scars won't bother me since I'm pretty scarred anyway from picking at my skin), more the medical and recovery aspect.

I understand this is a sensitive and graphic topic, so mods/members, if this is inappropriate, please delete!

I'm not sure how you'd go about this, actually... Very few (if any) surgeons will accept a self referral for complete removal of the breasts. You also don't really have grounds to be referred by a gender clinic, unless you simply tell them you identify as non binary - they won't "check up" on you, but they might suggest you have counselling for a little while.

As for prices, most surgeons will include all their fees etc in the final price, but you're looking at £6k+ regardless of technique.

My surgery has been booked for the 12th of September if I can get around funding by then. So I'm afraid I can't help you with how it feels etc just yet. There are plenty of folks on reddit that have had the surgery (go for r/ftm or I believe there's a surgery specific one) and there's also trans bucket which has a lot of photos and people's experiences.

SplishBudgie

I'm not sure how you'd go about this, actually... Very few (if any) surgeons will accept a self referral for complete removal of the breasts. You also don't really have grounds to be referred by a gender clinic, unless you simply tell them you identify as non binary - they won't "check up" on you, but they might suggest you have counselling for a little while.

Oh, Hell, that's a point, thank you :c Yeah, I'd have to give a rather good reason for non-gender identity/cancer risk/large scale damage related removal of healthy tissue .... Ouch, the figure was about £2,500 when I looked but that was a long while ago. Thanks for the recommended links, going to have a look right now!

I'm Canadian and not familiar with the UK medical system, but one thing I've found really helpful here is a counsellor. My counsellor is working right now on helping me navigate the rest of the system. It's kind of like having a lawyer when navigating the legal system; if you find the right one (and unfortunately there are people who will be a good counsellor for you and ones who will be bad, just like in any profession) then they can really help you figure out what to do next and how to approach obstacles like a surgeon being unwilling to do it, or it being too expensive. If you were here in Canada, I'd say start with your family doctor and say you'd like to speak to a counsellor about this, and see if you can get a referral, then you can spend some sessions talking about this. Maybe there's some UK equivalent procedure?

You don't have to see a gender therapist in order to see a counsellor in general ;)

• 6 months later...
SplishBudgie

So, I spoke with my Doctor and essentially I will have to go with a private option as I do not qualify as transgender, therefore the surgery will not be on the NHS. Breast REDUCTION could be if my bust was large enough to interfere with life, but I want complete removal rather than simple reduction.

Once I find out more, I'll post it here just in case anyone else in the UK is curious!

Archived