Thinking of going for gender therapy but feel weird that aces are not officially included

FrodoBaggins

FrodoBaggins

I've been thinking of going to the local LGBT counselling centre for gender therapy or something close to it as my dysphoria has really started to distract me (plus my chest size is causing really horrible back problems).

I know that this is the case in the vast majority of organizations that serve the LGBTQIA+ community- almost all only include the first four letters. But I guess I do feel uncomfortable that the word 'asexual' is not listed anywhere on their website, even though I know they serve everyone who identifies as queer. Honestly, the thought of going into the waiting room and only assumed to be the first four letters by the staff and other clients feels… objectifying.

Funnily enough, I don't feel that way when interacting with society at large, I guess because in my daily life we generally don't discuss gender and (a)sexuality anyway. But when in an environment where gender and sexual orientation is discussed and is at the forefront of the conversation, I really feel it when asexuality and agenderism are left out completely.

TheStarrySkai

Yes usually that is the case for lgbt centers, offices, groups, ect. They "generally" focus on just the lgbt aspect of things. Not too much attention on non-binary and asexuality. That being said in my experience of being an active member of different lgbt groups some groups do acknowledge non-binary and ace people. I have talked about asexuality and non-binary stuff plenty of times. Umm. Most of things aren't spoken about even if their acknowledged, unless there is a lot of aces and/or non-binary people present at the time. You kind have to bring up the topic. Usually people are kind enough to talk about it with you.

That is all from my experience though. I live on long island, which has a very solid and large lgbt network [i seriously forget how big it is]. Maybe that is part of the reason. They have more resources, more people, more diversity, ect. Some of the head staff are genderfluid and pretty much all the staff know and are friends with a bunch of ace people and non-binary people.

Of course I can only speak for the staff at the two most eastern centers. I'm not sure about the other ones [i believe there are currently 3-4 centers and one currently being built]

Archived