NBA and NHL Offseason

Real Estate RICO

Real Estate RICO

I decided to combine both into one thread.

Anyway, it's open to any direction, but I just have now seven questions on each side:

NBA:

1. Is the new Big 3 in New York a true Big 3, or is it realistically a Big 1 and 2 Possibles?

2. Dunn or Rubio: who starts?

3. How frightening will OKC be if Durant re-signs? Would this put them, at least on paper, above Golden State?

4. Are the Kings actively trying to drive Boogie Cousins out at this point?

5. Does Harrison Barnes get the max, and who gives it to him?

6. Who's adventurous enough to take flyers on Dwight Howard and Rajon Rondo at this point?

7. Is Luke Walton's tenure in LA already better than Byron Scott's by virtue of just showing up?

NHL:

1. Las Vegas: good move? bad move? Will the NHL have 32 this time in ten years?

2. Is Stan Bowman pulling another rabbit out of the hat with his yearly Blackhawk cap-freeing roster shakeup, or is this one finally going to come back to bite him?

3. What is Marc Bergevin doing?

4. What do the Dallas Stars do about goaltending?

5. Eric Staal. Steve Stamkos. Easy: where do you see them ending up?

6. Can we go ahead and say the Horvat for Schneider deal is this generation's Pederson for Neely trade on Vancouver's side?

7. What do you do with Marc-Andre Fleury and his 5.7M cap hit at this point?

I don't follow the NBA, so I'll just answer the NHL questions...

1. I'd honestly have rather seen Quebec get it, but it might be a good move. I'm neutral on this for now.

2. I'm hoping that Bowman knows what he's doing, certainly, as a Hawks fan. He usually has, but who's always right? I'd say that signing Panarin was definitely a must, and if Shaw has to go for that, that's how it is (hopefully he works out for the Canadiens; I was hoping they'd get farther than they did this year, so maybe next year'll be better luck for them). What the Hawks really need is some defensive depth, so hopefully that'll pan out... we'll see. Bloody salary cap.

3. I don't know!

4. They definitely need to do something. If the Lightning really are going to trade one of their goalies before the expansion draft comes, maybe the Stars'll try to get in on that?

5. Good question. I'd like to say the Red Wings, 'cause they definitely need some good people at this point with Datsyuk retiring and the way last season went, but... I have no idea. That might not even work out.

6. I don't know as much about this yet, so not sure.

7. I'd keep him. He's been solid. Of course, so has their other goaltender, so if cap space is a problem, he might be a reasonable trade that could get them something good in return.

divided_sky

Damnit, I Just typed out a really long response and lost it. Posting this here so I remember to come back.

Fuck St. Louis.

Ok - one at a time

Vegas - I don't like it. QC needs a team more. And why are they expanding when they have franchises with very uncertain futures? Fix those up first, or move them. Where are the Coyotes going? Because they aren't going to be staying in AZ long, barring some sudden new development. They've been through a cavalcade of potential owners who would fix all the problems and keep them there, but nothing ever materialized, and here we are, still wondering what lies ahead for them, after all this time. It's done. Also, the Hurricanes seem to be looking more unsteady, and old man Karmanos is getting, well, old. Who besides him wants to own a team in Raleigh? Nobody. Raleigh sucks.

Also, I know Vegas has sold, or will sell, a bunch of season tickets, but how many of those fans stick around when the shiny new team wears off and it's just crappy hockey? They are banking on tourists filling that place up for 41 games a year. That's a lot. I could see the NFL working with just 8 games, always on a weekend. But who is going to a Tuesday night Vegas/Ducks game? No one. If Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, etc aren't playing, the tourists won't buy up the tickets. Just another snowbird situation where Detroit fans pack the Panthers stadium a few times a year, then nobody cares again until another big market team comes through. I don't see this working long term, and they better not be a crappy expansion team for long, and get their shit together before everyone in Vegas is bored and wants to spend their money on a bazillion other things besides hockey.

I still think QC gets a team, probably from relocation. I also think they would never expand two teams in the same season now, as that is twice the expansion draft trouble. I don't think QC was ever truly considered for expansion, it's just there for when some other city fails. It will always be there, so who cares, right? Fuck them. Ugh. I hate the NHL.

I trust Stan Bownman. Losing Shaw hurts, especially for a small team that already lacks any grit and takes a beating from big physical teams. Though, they still usually beat them come playoffs (St. Louis, aside this year, and then LA and Anaheim. They outhit the Hawks big time but still lose. But damn, that's a lot of beating to take with nobody on the team able to give it back. And their big draft pick this year is a very skilled player, but who is 5'7''. Somebody needs to be able to protect these guys. Kane is small, so is Panarin. Who is to stop cheap shot artists like St. Louis from taking someone out? Looks like they will likely keep Kruger now, and yeah, they can hopefully sign Panarin to a good deal. They have to keep him, even if it means ditching Shaw, or Kruger, or just about anyone else who isn't part of the core. Their need to shore up the D, because they basically have 3.5 dman. TVR... I hope he gets better and becomes a solid 4th. But beyond that... yikes. They've traded away D prospects the last couple years for their cup runs and salary dumps. Keith, Seabrook (when he's not being fat and lazy) and Hammer log some tough minutes. And have been for years. When does it finally start to wear them down?

Bergevin is an idiot. Why is Therrien still employed? The team absolutely collapsed without Price. I get that he's a great player, but you can't be that dependent on one guy. I mean, that collapse was astounding. They were awful without Price, just terrible. Can't have your team so focused on him. Injuries will happen. Whatever though, the Hawks seem to have found a new trading partner, as Bergevin is a former Hawks guy. Just like Tallon in Florida. Good to have that around for Bowman, who I have far more faith in than Bergevin.

Dallas - not sure. Also need to impove that defense. They can score with the best of them, but they can't play a 2-1 defensive battle with St. Louis for 7 games and win. Maybe they make a move for Fluery (not sure if they can afford that, or what Fluery's contract particulars are regarding trades). I wish them the best. I have long liked Lindy Ruff, and they have a few former Hawks, so I find them easy to root for. Except for Roussell, fuck him.

I bet Staal stays in Carolina where there is no pressure, no expectations, and he can be the star in a tiny market. If he goes to a team that competes, he will be expected to perform, and well. Lots of guys like those small market/crappy teams, as they avoid the intense scrutiny of markets like Toronto and Montreal, and it's just a country club, basically. I mean, there is a reason players never want to be traded to Toronto, Montreal, or really anywhere in Canada. I could see Stamkos getting silly money from Toronto. I wouldn't give him 10+ mil a year with injury questions in the air. But I doubt he stays in Tampa if someone throws a huge deal at him. He could bank on himself, sign a one year deal, and plan to kick ass, but if he fails, he's in big trouble. I think he takes the safe bet and goes for a big deal. Someone will give him top player money. Probably only Toronto, haha.

Schneider is awesome, and awesome job by Vancouver to come away with losing Luongo and Schneider for basically nothing useful. May they continue to suck.

I wouldn't pay Fluery that money, especially a cap strapped team like Pittsburgh. He's not an elite goalie, IMO. Good, but that's too much. Crawford also makes too much, in addition to having a NMC. Blagh. I don't put a lot of stock in goalies though.

divided_sky

I expect Winnipeg to take a big step forward this year (god I hope Ladd doesn't resign there), and the central continues to be a meat grinder. Colorado is the only weak link.

divided_sky

I also never thought I'd see Weber traded away from Nashville. They basically put their entire financial future on him when they matched Philly's offer sheet a few years back. But, they also traded away Seth Jones for some dunkhead from Columbus. Time will not be kind to the Preds for that trade. I want to see them succeed, being in a small non hockey market, and generally being able to do ok and keep fans interested, make the playoffs. But they need to take another step already. I have no faith in their management to make the right moves, however. And Lavy can scream all he wants about "need more jam!!", but his act wears out after a while. I see them toiling in mediocrity/being close but not good enough for the foreseeable future. More tickets for me to road trip down there! Nashville is a fun town, I want to go back. Oh, and they absolutely hate Hawks fans. To the point that they put crazy restrictions on buying tickets to keep Chicago fans from buying up seats to make a trip down there. They are terrified of Chicago fans filling that crappy stadium, and it's hilarious.

Wish the best for Subban, hope this is a better chance to win than Montreal. I like him.

divided_sky

Oh, and to tack onto why the Yotes suck, they are carrying Datsyuk's dead cap space so they can technically meet the cap floor. Who had Pronger's deal last year, was it also them? They literally don't have the money to spend the minimum amount. Fold it up.

divided_sky

Oh, and I'm apparently out of the loop, as I see that Stamkos signed with Tampa. 8 years, 8.5 per. Not bad at all for Tampa, or for him. Cool

divided_sky

Between Datsyuk and the contract for Chris Pronger (which they acquired at the draft a year ago) the Coyotes now have $12.4 million of their cap space going to players that are retired from the NHL. They are only on the hook for less than $600,000 in actual salary, all of it going to Pronger because he has not officially "retired" from the NHL. His contract with the Flyers was heavily front loaded and only carries an NHL salary of $575,000 this season. That is all the Coyotes are on the hook for financially. Everything else is just a paper transaction for salary cap purposes.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/red-wings-dump-datsyuks-contract-on-coyotes-become-players-for-stamkos/

this league is a joke, haha

• 4 weeks later...
divided_sky

Bump

Doesn't anyone want to argue with me? :p.

Who do you have as favorites this year? Penguins with a full year under Sullivan (or was that the old coach, I can't remember right now) could be scary.

Hawks will be in the mix, but not sure they can make it through the central/west.

Florida is making moves, which is great, I hope they make a run for it. They seem to be all in

Who is the worst team this year? I'd guess Leafs, maybe even Oilers, as they are terrible until proven otherwise. Coyotes?

divided_sky

tase - What are the Bruins looking like this year? What are you expecting?

Detroit has a new arena. I may go check it out. Coyotes bought out Antoine Vermette, wonder if he comes back here for a 1 year deal. If cheap, he could be a good addition to the third line.

Waiting to see where Jimmy Vesey ends up.

Archived