Confused and need advice on dating!

Kitykat17

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and just starting to really understand asexuality. My lack of relationships, both sexual and romantic, have been quite distressing for me because I've always felt like something is wrong with me. I'm 26 now, soon to be 27. I've never really felt the need to have sex or even get romantically involved with anyone. I've had crushes, but it usually just based on personality and how I get along with the person.

Since I'm in my mid 20's and most of my friends have gotten married or are at least in relationships, I've felt pressured to be in one myself. Dating is a terror for me. I always join dating sites only to realize after talking with people that I don't want to date anyone, but at the same time I feel like I have to because that's what the norm is.

I recently met a guy off a dating site and I like him. I don't feel and romantic or sexual attraction towards him. I told him that I am not into dating and just want someone I can be friends with and see where it goes from there. To be honest, I don't know if I am for sure Asexual or Aromantic because I've never really tried to get that far with anyone before. I really want to hang out with this guy and get to know him better but I'm so scared of the thought of him wanting more from me.

He already said he's fine with being friends and even agreed it was better for him too. But I cant let go of my anxiety that I may never like him and he will like me.

I guess I'm just confused by my feelings, what I want, and what I feel that I'm expected to want.

Any advice? I'd appreciate any input :)

If you don't have romantic feelings for him you might be experiencing a squish. A squish usually consists of wanting to spend time with someone, get to know them and for them to like you. Try not to worry about what people want or expect. It seems hard to do, but you will feel better.

Archived