• Acephobia
    • Asexophobia
    • Aphobia
  2. 2. Which one do you use?

• Acephobia
    • Asexophobia
    • Aphobia

This poll is closed to new votes

Here's a poll to see AVEN census on what word(s) they like to use to describe hatred/fear of asexual in one word. Let me know if I'm missing anything, and if I am, before you vote, I'll add it for you before you vote.

I don't use one more than the others. But "aphobia" is problematic, etymologically speaking ("absence of fear"), and "acephobia" is based on slang ("ace"), so asexophobia is the only word that should be considered correct in a formal context IMO.

Acephobia is the only one that sounds good, and lets be honest that is the most important factor.

Yes it is based on slang, but language has never really been something to be consistent or even logical at times. For instance, the word "
anti-semitism" technically should refer to hatred of Semites. But, that has never been how the word has been used. It has always meant, and currently means hatred of Jews and Jews alone.

Idk I've never heard of "asexophobia", and it sounds kinda weird despite being more specific than the other two.

"Acephobia" is preferable, because it looks neater, but has a disadvantage of being too colloquial (since "ace-" is based on slang) although, I will say that there are words that are formally recognized despite being slang/informal based (I think), so not really a problem.

"Aphobia" in the other hand is too generic, and also etymologically illogical in such a context. If people insist on using "aphobia", it might be applied to aces or aros, which might make it confusing. But also because the prefix "a-" generally means lacking, or the absence of, as in "asexual". Using it would probably connote the lack of fear, rather than animosity towards asexuals.

i mostly use acephobia, but think aphobia sounds better. (and i would use it if i weren't worried that people wouldn't understand what i was saying!)

and i mean, homophobia would technically mean "fear of the same" but it.....doesn't? and i like using ace as a shorthand within the community, but i think it's a little cutesy for visibility stuff (i confess i cringe every time i see the line "or 'aces' for short" in an asexuality article!).

I don't really use any of them. I don't like how someone with a hatred of asexuals is passed of as mentally ill (by use of the suffix phobia). But I guess if any, I'd use acephobia.

As others have said, 'aphobia' would mean a lack of a phobia. Which I mean, 99% are aphobic. :P Since the majority of people don't have that mental illness (a specific phobia). Because the prefix 'a' means a lack of.

Hermit Advocate

Acephobia sounds the best. Aphobia is ridiculous, and would lead to misconceptions as it is literally the absence of fear.

I'd use one word to describe the fear/hatred of asexuals: nonexistent.

That's a good one, but I get your viewpoint.

As for aphobia, I have seen people use aphobia as a substitute for acephobia. Don't ask me about that, I don't know why and neither I support it, but it's there for poll purpose.

Acephobia is the generally accepted term for any sort of bigotry, discrimination, or oppression against/of asexuals and people on the ace spectrum.

Aphobia is actually a different thing - it refers to acephobia and arophobia (which is against/of aromantics). It's a more general term, in the same way that homophobia is more general than lesbophobia and queerphobia is more general than any of its subsets.

I use acephobia. Someone may want to suggest something better that's not "asexphobia" because as far as mouth feel goes that is just.. unpleasant. She has asexphobia. You are so asexphobic! Nope, not happening. Aphobia, like people have said, does not mean a fear of asexuals.

Erotophobia is the fear of sex and intimacy. As aerotophobia, the logical opposite phobia sits badly, then anerotophobia is about as close as we can get using the usual etymological system.

As to the three presented choices, I'd, reluctantly pick acephobia, on account that aphobia is as already mentioned, a derivative of aphobic or having no irrational fears or dreads, whilst asexophobia is plausible but a mouthful.

However, in reality I've never heard, or had cause to use, any term to describe such behaviour

• 1 month later...
cavalier080854

I've never met anyone phobic about Asexuals. Just puzzlement. A state quickly fixed by explaining.

What is there to fear about someone not having sex?

Isn't that what some people think of asexuality?

It may be. But asexuals do objectively exist (since we exist). That doesn't mean that fear of asexuals exists. The two are not analogous.

On 28/07/2016 at 0:39 AM, cavalier080854 said:

I've never met anyone phobic about Asexuals. Just puzzlement. A state quickly fixed by explaining.

I agree with that.

• 1 month later...
cavalier080854

If I had to pick a one word answer to hatred/fear of asexuals, it would be IRRATIONAL.

It's a direct, devastating blow to some people's world view.

The word I'd use for it is stupidity, perhaps insecurity if I feel like being lenient.

It kind of peeves me because of the word "phobia" is misused. It doesn't exists, unless there is a person out there is legitimately afraid of asexuals in a critical and psychologically damaging way. To me, it seems like describing a "phobia" as hatred towards something or someone is downplaying those who are clinically afraid of something and actually negatively affecting their life and need professional help.

But alas, that is the "beauty" of language, always evolving and having more than one reason, rather I like it or not.

Either way, the word I use is "bigot".

Isn't that what some people think of asexuality?

It may be. But asexuals do objectively exist (since we exist). That doesn't mean that fear of asexuals exists. The two are not analogous.

I also do not believe that fear of aces exist. Denial isn't fear. Neither is puzzlement or uncertainty.

Hatred also does not equal fear. It could possibly result from fear, but it is not the same thing as fear.

The definition I'm using for the word "phobia" is posted below:

pho·bi·a
ˈfōbēə/
noun
noun: phobia; plural noun: phobias
an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something.

Asexophobia, if anything.

I don't use one more than the others. But "aphobia" is problematic, etymologically speaking ("absence of fear"), and "acephobia" is based on slang ("ace"), so asexophobia is the only word that should be considered correct in a formal context IMO.

Rising Sun already said it all. ;)

Though I have to admit, sometimes I do have my issues with the usage of phobia, it makes the differentiation between literal fear and strong aversion hard, but I guess I got to deal with it.

Probably the best answer.

I'll bet you a good sum of money that you're wrong. People fear what they do not understand, and let me tell you, there's quite a few people out there who cannot seem to understand asexuality. Some of those people even show up here every now and then. In fact, I'd bet it's even less understood than homosexuality is, and everyone knows about the fear and hatred that's garnered over the years. Asexuality gets less attention likely because it's much lesser known and prevalent.

It's great for you that you didn't get to experience it yourself, but your experience hardly speaks for everyone else.

• 1 month later...
kitanabellatrx

Probably the best answer.

I'll bet you a good sum of money that you're wrong. People fear what they do not understand, and let me tell you, there's quite a few people out there who cannot seem to understand asexuality. Some of those people even show up here every now and then. In fact, I'd bet it's even less understood than homosexuality is, and everyone knows about the fear and hatred that's garnered over the years. Asexuality gets less attention likely because it's much lesser known and prevalent.

It's great for you that you didn't get to experience it yourself, but your experience hardly speaks for everyone else.

I agree with Phillip, people fear what they don't understand.

Based on my personal experience, many sexual people imposes their views on sex like a universal truth and doesn't understand why some people doesn't have interest on sex or relationships.

*I did vote for Acephobia. It's accurate: slang (ace) plus phobia.

• 2 months later...
On 7/27/2016 at 4:39 PM, cavalier080854 said:

I have. I don't get it at all.  

• 2 months later...
SithAzathoth WinterDragon

*TRIGGER WARNING* I have come across people from online and in person who hate asexuals, where at one point on facebook someone said all of the "not normal" people should be purged. I was even told that by someone before, believe it or not, I took very smoothly and blocked her after reporting her. I've seen far worse statements against asexuals ones that I'll not mention .

It sucks how aphobia means lack of fear. I used it to mean hatred against asexuals. I think acephobia is the best word to describe even though most people don't know what ace means. 

Archived