Article: "American Apparel Faces Backlash For Pride Collection Bag"

deltaX

The article talks about a new American Apparel bag, which was was meant to feature identities within the LGBTQA umbrella. However, the bag used the "A" in the acronym to represent allies, which according to this article caused a lot of backlash.

While I don't think all asexual people should feel the need to be forced under the LGBTQ+ label if they don't want to, I think it's important to have a space in queer communities for the asexual people who do feel like they belong. I think it's great that there's a group of people out there calling of asexuality to be recognized just as much as other orientations. :cake:

http://www.refinery29.com/2016/06/113559/american-apparel-lgbtqa-bag-ally-asexual

I honestly don't care about the bag thing. I'm more focused on my safety when using the damn public restrooms.

Regardless I'm not fond of American Apparel. Aren't they the one's who run those ultra sexual ad campaigns using really young looking folks?

Not all of the LGBT communities recognize actuality, though. Don't get me wrong, but I think the LGBT needs to get their shit together and start respecting other identities like bi, pan, and asexual before they can start telling at people outside of the community for not respecting a subgroup, and yes there are LGBT communities that only support Trans and homosexuality. I've seen a few.

This whole American Apparel thing is spearheaded by aces, specifically Tumblr aces - it's a reprise of the #giveitback movement targeting GLAAD when they ignored aces, aros, and agender people and claimed "The A is for Ally!" in one of their... pamphlets, I think?

On Tumblr and Reddit and meatspace queer organizations, it's commonly held that aces are queer/LGBTQIA+ by definition, like bi and trans people, whether or not they choose to involve themselves with the community, while making allowances for those who "opt out" through self-identification. AVEN is more isolationist, and simultaneously considers the question of "are aces queer?" more valid and debatable. These are connected: a minority of allo queers on Tumblr and Reddit attack aces with rehashing of biphobic and transphobic arguments to claim that they are not queer or valid, which galvanizes both the ace and wider LGBT communities into interpreting any claim that aces aren't really LGBT or any erasure of asexuality in favor of allies like on the American Apparel bags as an attack.

Not all of the LGBT communities recognize actuality, though. Don't get me wrong, but I think the LGBT needs to get their shit together and start respecting other identities like bi, pan, and asexual before they can start telling at people outside of the community for not respecting a subgroup, and yes there are LGBT communities that only support Trans and homosexuality. I've seen a few.

I agree absolutely that shit needs to be gotten together and biphobic/acephobic/arophobic/panphobic groups are harmful, but, well, I don't think we need to make all LGBT groups perfect before we can start critiquing people outside the acronym.

Frigid Pink

I think minority spaces may have a tendency to discriminate against aces because of some very vocal anti-sexual and sex negative voices in the asexual community. Of course, I disagree with that approach and think, if that's truly the case, that what needs to happen is a strict no tolerance policy towards antisexual and sex negative attitudes (vs. targeted discrimination against asexual people since all asexual people aren't anti-sexual and sex negative) and the exclusion of people (regardless of their sexual orientation or self identified labels) who continually express those views. Of course, I could be way off, however, it's something that's occurred to me more lately and makes sense to me as a possible reason why these groups may be so hesitant to allow aces in their spaces. It's certainly a valid concern, if that's the case, however, there's definitely a better and more ethical way to deal with it.

ChillaKilla

Allies need to sit down IMHO

Allies need to sit down IMHO

Allies are great, and every minority can use them well, but they will never be part of the community.

Coffiend Jackalope

Allies are like fans at a football game. They wear the team colors, cheer them on, and support the team, but they are not on the team. The teams accomplishments aren't theirs. The team's wins aren't theirs. The team's history isn't theirs.

Archived