Ace Siblings

Cherry Toothache

Cherry Toothache

One of my siblings came out as asexual very recently, and it made me wonder if other people have asexual siblings. If it's so uncommon, how did we both end up ace? (Aside, of course, from our mother suspecting I'm a bad influence with my 'new-age' sexualities ;) )

Are other people asexual siblings? And if so, are you similar in drive and aversion and so on?

a minor triad

I have a suspicion that one of my siblings is asexual and possibly aromantic. He actually asked me if I am asexual and assumed I am aromantic, so he knows about the orientations. He hasn't told me he is asexual, but I have no idea why he would know about asexuality unless he went looking for it.

I don't know, but we do talk and bond over our mutual dislike for relationships and sex and how much we don't 'get it.' I do know we are both touch averse. In fact, most of my siblings are, which is weird considering no one else in my family has this...issue.

I would think there has to be at least a small genetic fact for sexual orientation...maybe a genetic predisposition? I'm not sure, and I guess no one really is. But I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

AlwaysADreamer

I think my brother may be. I heard it indirectly, so I'll have to wait to hear from him directly. He doesn't know that I'm ace, either.

Lord of the nerds

Perhaps there is a gene that is related to asexuality, but it would be hard to judge by offspring of asexuals for obvious reasons.

Does anyone know the chemistry (literally, as in with chemicals, not figuratively) behind other orientations? I know that people hate hearing "get your hormones checked", but don't there have to be SOME chemical differences between the different orientations? After all, everything in the brain works off of chemicals and chemical- triggered electrical signals.

Keep in mind, I am NOT saying anything is wrong with any orientation, just different.

Perhaps there is a gene that is related to asexuality, but it would be hard to judge by offspring of asexuals for obvious reasons.

Does anyone know the chemistry (literally, as in with chemicals, not figuratively) behind other orientations? I know that people hate hearing "get your hormones checked", but don't there have to be SOME chemical differences between the different orientations? After all, everything in the brain works off of chemicals and chemical- triggered electrical signals.

Keep in mind, I am NOT saying anything is wrong with any orientation, just different.

No one has yet figured out what truly separates people's orientations. Some of us hope they never will.

I don't have any siblings, however I am fairly sure that my mom would fall somewhere on the asexual spectrum, based on what she has told me.

Lord of the nerds

No one has yet figured out what truly separates people's orientations. Some of us hope they never will.

I don't have any siblings, however I am fairly sure that my mom would fall somewhere on the asexual spectrum, based on what she has told me.

Why wouldn't anyone want an answer to this question? Is it a fear it would be another weapon? I for one can't stand that there exist unanswered questions.
SylviaDragon

I have a sneaking suspicion that my little sister is camping out under the ace umbrella with me. She hasn’t said anything yet- I don’t think she has really thought to consider it for one reason or another. But a lot of the things I now recognize as very obvious indications of my own Asexuality I have often heard/seen her echo on her own word for word- sometimes long before I ever did.

I don’t know if I have just contaminated her with my ace-ness or something but if she ever starts asking questions at least she won’t have to go through it alone like I did. Would be pretty cool having another Ace around but if it turns out my suspicion is wrong, who cares. Shes got my support either way.

Does anyone know the chemistry (literally, as in with chemicals, not figuratively) behind other orientations?

Haven't heard anything for asexuality but as I understand it the prevailing theory for why people are gay has to do with epigenetics, which describes how the environment affects which genes get get activated. Epigentics isn't inherited to the same degree as genes. which explains why amongst identical twins you can get one that's gay and one that isn't. I remeber reading about a study that developed an epigentic test that could predict to 60% accuracy whether someone was gay, which while low, is still better than guessing. It also suggests there is some other factor also at play. I wouldn't be suprised if other orientations are influenced by similar things.

CraftyCritter

My older sibling is ace to (not sure in the romance) but they think that their the only ace in our family because I'm to "young" but fully accepts my younger sibling by 4 years and their straight so yes and no hope this helps ::)

ImAnAllStar

I would type my parents especially my mom as demi (they wouldn't appreciate such "labeling"). Apparently my grandmother was sex averse.

One of my younger sisters thinks she might be aromantic, due to her finding such relationships unintriguing. Actually a nuisance. She's likely somewhere on the asexual spectrum as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if my brother was either, but he doesn't talk about this stuff ever. My other little sister is sexual all the way, so I would feel a little bad for her if she didn't tend to pressure and belittle me for my lack of experience.

I have 5 younger siblings, only two of whom are really old enough to evaluate. My 15 year old brother is definitely allosexual - I swear sex is on his mind 24/7 and I don't understand it :P My 13 year old sister is definitely alloromantic, but I don't know about sexuality. She hasn't expressed sexual interest yet.

Archived