• Announcements

• Kelly

New Team members Needed--Moderator, Project Team, and Declass Team: Voting   12/10/13

See:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/164659-new-declass-team-member-needed-voting/   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/164657-new-moderator-member-needed-qa-co-mod-and-world-watch-mod-voting/   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/164656-new-project-team-member-needed-resources-and-education-director-voting/  
    • Kelly

AVENues Holiday Special Edition is now live   08/17/17

The new edition of AVENues is done!   See:        
    • Lady Girl

Ace Community Census   11/06/17

It’s time for the 2017 Ace Community Census!   see:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/162675-announcing-the-2017-ace-community-census/  
    • Heart

Help fund AVEN's servers!   11/06/17

AVEN is doing its annual fundraiser to raise donations for server costs! See http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163251-aven-server-fundraiser/ for more details.  
Kisa the Maccabee

Making the Admod Archives its own forum

Kisa the Maccabee

The Admod team is in the process of restructuring the forums and we'd like to get member feedback along the way. First up is moving Admod Archives out of Site Comments and making it a forum of its own. Please post your comments regarding this potential change here.

As always, member input is greatly appreciated. If you have other ideas regarding forum reorginization, please feel free to start a new topic (or post in any relevant existing threads).

Thanks!

Kisa the Cat, Administrator

.Lia

What would be the reasoning for it?

Kisa the Maccabee

1) Site comments is on its own

2) It gives the archives a bit more visibility

.Lia

Yes, those are the consequences of doing what you're proposing. What's the reasoning? What good will it do? Those who are interested in the archives know where they are. We all knew from the beginning of declass that a very small minority would be interested in reading through old disciplinary threads, unless the thread involved them or their friends and that would only even be if those involved were still on the forums once it was declassified. And while there isn't anything to hide, now that requests for policy threads are processed right away and discipline thread requests are processed after at least 6 months (so long as there are no objections from those parties involved), then I'm still not seeing the purpose - From my experience with the DT, they alert the user that their requested thread has been moved and provide a link? They did with me, at least. Regardless of what comes of this thread, there still won't be any alerts of new declassified threads. An index of declassified threads would be one main post, edited to list the newest declassified thread, which wouldn't alert anyone to a new post anywhere in that forum, most likely, but that option doesn't have a majority vote right now, anyhow. So I'm just wondering what good it is to make the board index even longer than it is now, considering there 28 (that includes the elections forum, which is hidden unless an election) separate forums currently on their own. I get that it's a small change, and that it doesn't really effect anything, I just want to know what started this discussion, and what everyone's reasoning was, and how it will better serve AVEN and its members?

SkyWorld

Meh. I don't really have an opinion, to be honest.

Lady Girl

I think one benefit of moving it out would be higher visibility. I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. I can see some benefit to leaving it and some to moving it out.

WünderBâhr

Idk why it would need to be it's own forum. I do think that elections, site info, announcements, admod archives, bug tracker and site comments are ALL site-related, and should be pooled together for organization.

People gravitate toward what they want to, and moving it up, down or separating it won't make much diffdrence if people still don't bother checking it out. So, exactly what are you trying to make visible? Are there other ways of doing this? What about traffic in the bug tracker and site comments forums by comparison?

Edited by bipolar bear

Goonie

will it be used for discussions in the future or just declassified information? Cause that would make a difference on the amount of visibility it needed.

Steph Ace

Higher visibility for the archive is a fallacy due to the nature of what Archives are.

Unlike elections, announcements or research requests - Archives exist for the purpose of those wishing to investigate a purpose, not for randoms to casually read them. Those that are dedicated to scrutinizing archive material won't care how its advertised because they are already motivated to using it as intended. Where announcements, elections and research requests require the most amount of people to be reached, archives require specialized intentions that only a few people hold. Making the purpose of advertising irrelevant.

The advertising aspect of a historical archive doesn't make sense because it requires the person reading to have a devoted purpose to it, rather than just needing to be informed.

This change isn't necessary.

SkyWorld

Those are some good points.

I still wouldn't really care if it was moved or not, as long as it's just there. ;)

WünderBâhr

Unlike elections, announcements or research requests - Archives exist for the purpose of those wishing to investigate a purpose, not for randoms to casually read them.

Not true. Up until recently, the latter was exactly the purpose of Admod Archives. So that members could get a glimpse of what the team was doing behind-the-scenes and understand the processes and discussions as decisions were made and situations unfolded. The nature of requests and that "purposeful investigation" is an add-on that has been a focus in recent years, and doesn't completely override the original purpose of transparency. Still, not sure why it needs to be made more visible by way of movement except to better organize the forums, in general.

Steph Ace

Unlike elections, announcements or research requests - Archives exist for the purpose of those wishing to investigate a purpose, not for randoms to casually read them.

Not true. Up until recently, the latter was exactly the purpose of Admod Archives. So that members could get a glimpse of what the team was doing behind-the-scenes and understand the processes and discussions as decisions were made and situations unfolded. The nature of requests and that "purposeful investigation" is an add-on that has been a focus in recent years, and doesn't completely override the original purpose of transparency. Still, not sure why it needs to be made more visible by way of movement except to better organize the forums, in general.

I think we're mismatching what defines a purpose (Or looking back I explained it incorrectly).

If a person is reading history (archives) for the sake of learning - I still call that a purpose.

The distinction between items that need advertising (Research Requests, Announcements, Elections) and Archives(History) is that they require the most amount of people to be reached to function, hence the need for advertising. They are simplistic in nature (participate in a survey, vote or read about an update) compared to complex discussions that would be found in Archives. Advertising is not often used for complex materials because it is utilized by a smaller audience.

Its like WikiLeaks for example. Not many people use WikiLeaks to search for the raw data themselves (Yet everyone has access to it if they want to) but once something is found by those dedicated to finding something, it rapidly gets shared with everyone. There are obvious people who read it for enjoyment, but they have what I define as a purpose and don't require the advertising. Despite WikiLeaks being well known, very few people use it.

Admod Archives are accessible. Those who want to use it will seek it out regardless of its location so long as it is accessible.

deltaX

I should probably add that I don't really care about this either way. I'm fine with separating out admods archives, and also fine with it staying where it is. As a DT I'll be in the archives regardless ^_^

Kisa the Maccabee

It was an idea that was brought up during a mass reorganization and we wanted to bring this up with you guys since it would affect you.

Since it seems unliked by the feedback so far, I think I can lock this thread.