What's Your True Sexual Orientation? The Purple-Red Scale Is Here to Help You Find Out

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

So this came across my facebook today. (Pretty sure it hasn't already been posted.)

What's Your True Sexual Orientation? The Purple-Red Scale Is Here to Help You Find Out

Connections.Mic

6 October 2015

the Purple-Red scale allows you to assign a number from zero to six to your level of same-sex or heterosexual attraction, but it also lets you label how you experience that attraction on a scale of A to F. A represents asexuality, or a total lack of interest in sex "besides friendship and/or aesthetic attraction," while F represents hypersexuality.

Parks told Mic that he came up with the idea for the Purple-Red scale after learning about asexuality and realizing that he was a "heteroromantic asexual, or a B0 on the scale" — someone who is interested exclusively in romantic, nonsexual relationships with the opposite sex.

I saw this as well. George Takei or whoever runs his facebook posted it. I think it's really interesting and definitely works to encompass more people or at least provide a slightly more specific definition for those looking for one.

Oy, they took the secondary and primary sexual desire thing [in the graph's letter area]. That's not how primary and secondary work. It should say Latent Sexuality and Initial Sexuality.

Also, if i read it right, it doesn't include cross-orientations (yet alone allochronic orientations).

And if they're including hypersexual then why don't they have hyposexual?

WinterWanderer

Oy, they took the secondary and primary sexual desire thing. That's not how primary and secondary work. It should say Latent Sexuality and Initial Sexuality.

Also, if i read it right, it doesn't include cross-orientations (yet alone allochronic orientations).

Agreed. And it's weird how C is considered sexuality, not asexuality, when the reasons the person is having sex is not for pleasure.

(sexual or emotional pleasure), but yah, that is odd that they consider it sexual.

binary suns

did anyone else notice that the images show a 0-6 scale for the b-f boxes, but only "A" for all six A boxes?

PS. I would be either a C2 or a D2.

binary suns

Oy, they took the secondary and primary sexual desire thing. That's not how primary and secondary work. It should say Latent Sexuality and Initial Sexuality.

Agreed. And it's weird how C is considered sexuality, not asexuality, when the reasons the person is having sex is not for pleasure.

It's how I believe it should be. I don't care enough to push for it, because in the end it doesn't really matter which way it's considered. but it's definitely one way to think about it.

Lost247365

My true sexual orientation is obvious:

Dragon God.

Next question?

I saw this a few months ago on another forum. Still too damn binary, and putting the category of romance where it doesn't really belong. *sigh*

If we're going by my physical sex and pretend gender ain't a thing, I'm somewhere in the area of B1/B0/C0.

B2 probably describes me best.

touching-not-so-much

C0 for me I guess, probably willing to have sex for a compelling reason, and exclusively hetero.

Musical Articuno

B4, C4 or D4. Would require me to be in a relationship to maybe get an inkling of which one, but, hey, that's what life's about, right? Plus, I'm not in a particular hurry to find out.

I'd say I'm B0 primarily with somewhat C0 if she's real nice.

This may sound goofy but for D0 it depends on how they're defining lust. I'm not interested in intercourse but do like some other kinky things so would I have "lust" for them? Or is lust only for intercourse? Maybe it's splitting hairs but it doesn't seem that straightforward to me.

i think i'm somewhere between A and B4. although there are of course subtleties that are not included on the scale, which could probably be said for any scale invented to explain sexuality. i think they didn't put any numbers on the A part of the scale because they are assuming and ace-aro doesn't experience any type of attraction that could be described on the other (number) scale. which isn't necessarily true, but aven is one of the only places that fact would be recognized. overall though, i think the idea behind the system is great, that the attraction type/level is just as important as the orientation in predicting compatibility.

Bingo?

FaerieFate

There is a new way to scale orientation that goes from asexual to hypersexual vertically and heterosexual to homosexual vertically. Actually, I'm not mad at this. I quite like it.

Here's the link.

It includes a little bit of romantic orientation too, but it doesn't really show that sexual and romantic orientations are that same, but it's a huge step in the right direction

God of the Forest

Cool!!! According to this Im a C5 xD

It's pretty okay I'd say. However I doubt that counting only 3 as bisexual / biromantic is even remotely correct. Shouldn't it be anything that is not 0 or 6?

C2 or D2... :ph34r:

It's pretty okay I'd say. However I doubt that counting only 3 as bisexual / biromantic is even remotely correct. Shouldn't it be anything that is not 0 or 6?

Generally, 2-4 is considered bi. If you only experience attraction to one person of the same gender and ten of the opposite gender, then it is perfectly reasonable to identify as heterosexual/romantic.

B4... cool.

I'm a B2, which coincidentally is also my voice type (Bass 2)!

• 3 weeks later...

C0, married and have a kid is a bit of a hint to that ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Hyposexuality is a sexual disorder term to indicate that someone's sexual desire is lower than usual for that person, thus indicative of a potentially problem and likely temporal in nature.

Asexuality is the opposite of hypersexuality.

Also whats wrong with primary and secondary instead of latent and initial? Sounds like exactly the same concept with different terminology.

And what the hell is allochronic???

Rising Sun

Hyposexuality is a sexual disorder term to indicate that someone's sexual desire is lower than usual for that person, thus indicative of a potentially problem and likely temporal in nature.

Asexuality is the opposite of hypersexuality.

Also whats wrong with primary and secondary instead of latent and initial? Sounds like exactly the same concept with different terminology.

I mostly agree with this, but as hypersexuality is a disorder too, including the opposite type of disorder would be logical too. So IMO, yes, hyposexual disorder should be on the scale too, or hypersexual disorder should be removed. Both or none.

Well if Hyposexual is offensive then Hypersexual should be too. Also, it's called Hyposexual Desire Disorder, not Hyposexuality (which is something people have colloquially made to refer to it), so those are two different things; just like HOCD aka Gay OCD (i.e. the fear that you may be gay to an OCD degree) doesn't make Gay a disorder. Just like being Hyposexual and reacting to it badly are two different things (which isn't even enough to validate the word disorder in this case; it literally only requires the person to not react well to their own low or nonexistent sex-drive). And most people who are diagnosed with HSDD don't have it; literally 90% of people just feel pressured by their partner and genuinely have no problem with themselves if it weren't for that person. It's like saying if some Dr decide to create Asexual Desire Disorder to label asexuals and then the term asexual became offensive. It's all in peoples heads really; the offence of words.

Then please use a dictionary next time.

But to make things quicker...

Primary does not mean initial and secondary does not mean latent when being used with eachother, they mean "most important" and "less important".

For example, Primary and Secondary sources are most reliable and slightly less reliable. Primary and Secondary sex characteristics mean the #1 factor is the genitals and the less important but most common correlation is breasts/pecs. Primary and Secondary qualities in a partner are the favorite or needed qualities, where as secondary is less needed/favorable.

So there is no such thing as secondary sexual attraction, but secondary sexual desire would be desiring sex for other reasons than sex itself; for the bond it creates, etc. It would not be a latent sexual desire. And people who say secondary sexual desire is the 'desire' for sex to make a partner happy or bare a child aren't right either. That's like saying aesthetic attraction is secondary romantic attraction and thus you have romantic attraction. Just no. Not everything is primary and secondary applicable. The person or people who created the whole primary and secondary attraction/desire thing didn't understand what they were using; it wasn't made by anyone with a degree but an average joe.

Allochronic literally translates to "other time" i.e. does not happen at the same time. If you know what allosexual (and whatnot) are then you'd probably know that allo means other and chronic/chronos is probably common knowledge to mean time, so even if it's not a used term it's readable without a dictionary. And although it does not technically apply to what I'm about to say because it's used on geographic timelines, it is the shortest synonym to non-synchronizing. It is not officially used, but it is intended to be used on people who cannot feel sexually and romantically at the same time; the two never happen toward the same person, or if one does emerge the other dies (e.g. allochronic homosexual). It's obviously not too common; even on here; I've only seen a few posts on it, but it is a thing.

Grumpy Alien

Oh cool. Is there a prize if we get five in a row? C0

Archived