Hi! Been identifying as ace for 6 years now, but this is my first post on AVEN!

mischi

Hi everybody! I'm a graduating college senior (graduating next week, actually!) and I've known I'm asexual for around 6 years now, but this is my first post on AVEN. I was content to just browse the forums here when I first discovered asexuality, and I am naturally bit reserved, hence the tardiness of my advent here. :D But I decided recently that I wanted to meet more aces, so here I am now!

A little background on me: I'm from California and I've been in college for the past four years. I love music and used to play piano and violin often (not so much during college because of lack of time/lack of a piano). I am very passionate about social justice, languages and cultures, international affairs, and English grammar (thought I might not write as if I do!).

Now about my asexuality: I grew up going to a conservative religious school and had taught to be homophobic, transphobic, and all that stuff. Thankfully, once I left that school, I educated myself about LGBTQ+ topics and became affirming of the community. Later, when I discovered asexuality in high school and realized it described me perfectly, I was able to accept having a non-heterosexual identity because I had worked to reject the hurtful and discriminatory attitudes I had been indoctrinated with at that school. Once I got to college, I found a supportive community at my school's LGBT center. Though I didn't meet any other asexuals there, I was always made to feel included and valid as an ace, and that led to me identifying with the queer community.

Intimacy- and relationship-wise, I don't quite have a label for my romantic orientation. I've dated before, but I know that it was because I was seeking the deeper emotional intimacy that I couldn't attain through friendships, given amatonormativity and the lack of importance people ascribe to friendship relative to romance. I am still open to romantic relationships for that reason, but a QP relationship would probably be better for me at this point. And of course, I deeply value all my friendships, but have been hurt in the past by friends getting into romantic relationships and all but abandoning me as their friend, so I'm a little afraid of other friendships turning out similarly.

Well, that's a brief overview of me. It's great to be here (finally), and I can't wait to meet you all! :cake:

Hi! Welcome to AVEN! I'm glad you decided to join, and I'd love to be your friend! Feel free to PM me.

Congratulations on graduating! That's awesome! I'm graduating from high school this year, and I'm actually also from California!

Thank you for sharing your story! I'm happy to hear that you were able to escape the homophobia and transphobia that was taught to you.

Welcome to AVEN! :cake: It's so awesome that you decided to join and introducing yourself after identifying as ace for 6 years! We're happy to have you here. : ) You'll find a lot of people that can relate to you. I'm glad that you found a supportive and open community in college!! Many congratulations on graduating as well! Best wishes, and I hope you enjoy being a member~

Neapolitan%20cake%20image.jpg

DragonflytotheMoon

Hello & welcome, Mischi. I'm glad you were able to overcome your upbringing & chose to be open minded. I didn't go to a religious school, but, was raised with a very strict faith. I also escaped that & was true to myself. Hope that you enjoy your time here, learn more about yourself & make many new friends.

Archived