the AVEN census  

13 members have voted

1. 1. in which spectrum are you ?

• I'm sexual
    • I'm asexual
    • I'm in the gray (a)sexual spectrum
    • I'm unsure
    • I'm antisexual
  2. 2. where are you in the romantic spectrums?

• I'm aromantic
    • I'm in the gray (a)romantic spectrum
    • I'm romantic
    • I'm alterous
    • unsure
    • I'm antiromantic
  3. 3. do you have libido?

• im asexual, I don't
    • im asexual, I do
    • im asexual, unsure
    • im gray (a)sexual, I don't
    • I'm gray (a)sexual, I do
    • I'm gray (a)sexual, unsure
    • I'm sexual, I don't
    • I'm sexual, I do
    • I'm sexual, unsure
    • I'm antisexual and yes
    • I'm antisexual and no
    • I'm antisexual and unsure
    • I'm unsure and no
    • I'm unsure and yes
    • I'm unsure and unsure
  4. 4. are you sex repulsed?

• I'm ace and yes
    • I'm ace and no
    • I'm gray ace and yss
    • I'm gray ace and no
    • I'm not ace and yes
    • I'm not ace and no
    • I'm unsure and yes
    • I'm unsure and no
    • I'm antisexual and yes
    • I'm antisexual and no
  5. 5. are you romantic ?

• I'm aro and yes
    • I'm aro and not
    • I'm gray aro and yes
    • I'm gray aro and no
    • I'm not aro and yes
    • I'm not aro and no
    • I'm alterous and yes
    • I'm alterous and no
    • I'm antiromantic
    • I'm unsure and yes
    • I'm unsure and no
  6. 6. are you touch averse?

• I'm aro and yes
    • I'm aro and no
    • I'm gray aro and yes
    • I'm gray aro and no
    • I'm alterous and no
    • I'm alterous and yes
    • I'm not aro and yes
    • I'm not aro and no
    • I'm unsure and yes
    • I'm unsure and no
    • I'm antiromantic and yes
    • I'm antiromantic and no
  7. 7. do you have sex?

• I'm ace and yes
    • I'm ace and no
    • I'm gray ace and yes
    • I'm gray ace and no
    • I'm not ace and yes
    • I'm not ace and no
    • I'm ace and unsure if I want to
    • I'm gray ace and unsure if I want to
    • I'm not ace and unsure if I want to
    • I'm unsure and unsure if I want to
    • I'm unsure and yes
    • I'm unsure and no
    • I'm antisexual
  8. 8. do you like sex?

• I'm ace and yes
    • I'm ace and no
    • I'm ace and I'm virgin
    • I'm gray ace and no
    • I'm gray ace and yes
    • I'm gray ace and I'm virgin
    • I'm not ace and no
    • I'm not ace and yes
    • I'm not ace and I'm virgin
    • I'm unsure and yes
    • I'm unsure and no
    • I'm unsure and I'm a virgin
    • I'm ace and unsure
    • I'm gray ace and unsure
    • I'm not ace and unsure
    • I'm unsure and unsure
    • I'm antisexual
  9. 9. do you date?

• I'm aro and yes
    • I'm aro and no
    • I'm gray Aro and no
    • I'm gray Aro and yes
    • I'm not Aro and yes
    • I'm not Aro and no
    • I'm alterous and yes
    • I'm unsure and yes
    • I'm unsure and no
    • I'm alterous and no
    • I'm a aro and unsure if I want to date
    • I'm gray Aro and unsure if I want to date
    • I'm not aro and unsure if I want to date
    • I'm alterous and unsure if I want to date
    • I'm unsure and unsure if I want to date
    • I'm antiromantic and yes
    • I'm antiromantic and no
    • I'm antiromantic and unsure if I want to date
  10. 10. do you like romance?

• I'm Aro and yes
    • I'm Aro and no
    • I'm Aro and unsure
    • I'm gray Aro and unsure
    • I'm gray Aro and yes
    • I'm gray Aro and no
    • I'm not aro and no
    • I'm not Aro and unsure
    • I'm not Aro and yes
    • I'm alterous and yes
    • I'm alterous and no
    • I'm alterous and unsure
    • I'm unsure and unsure
    • I'm unsure and yes
    • I'm unsure and no
    • I'm antiromantic

This poll is closed to new votes

AVEN #1 fan

I can't answer any of the questions that only give me an option for ''are you aro and yes'' etc, because I'm not aro but I don't date and don't want to? Or did I miss an option? :o

Vote "not aro" then.

I can't answer any of the questions that only give me an option for ''are you aro and yes'' etc, because I'm not aro but I don't date and don't want to? Or did I miss an option? :o

Vote "not aro" then.

yeah I didn't see that option until after I commented hahah shame :P

AVEN #1 fan

and now I can't make the poll I mentioned in that thread.. someone always gets there first :(

Sry. XD

Vote "not aro" then.

yeah I didn't see that option until after I commented hahah shame :P
it's OK.

I answered that I'm not sex repulsed. I'm not sex repulsed but I still won't have sex because I don't want to. I hope the OP wasn't meaning sex repulsed as in ''won't have sex'' because I've mucked the poll up if that's the case :o

Lost247365

On the "are you romantic" question there is no option for "unsure."

AVEN #1 fan

On the "are you romantic" question there is no option for "unsure."

Good eye, thx, my fault. D:

drjohnhwatson

Some of these are kind of hard to answer. Like "do you date"? I put "yes" because I would like to date, but no one has ever asked me to date them in all seriousness and those I've asked to date me have rather...brutally...rejected me, haha.

And like for sex-repulsed I put no, but I've never had sex. In this state of mind right here, right now, I think "I'm not sex repulsed", but what if I agree to have sex for a partner and it just freaks me right the f*** out? I just can't stomach it? What I'm saying is...no basis of comparison for me, so I just went with how I am at the moment.

I'm the only person who put "I'm ace and unsure if I want to" under "do you have sex?" because this again falls under the "I might MAYBE do it to please a partner but it might go poorly. Or greatly! But that still doesn't undermine that I've never been sexually attracted to anyone even when crushing hard on them."

'Tis a thorough poll, though, without my silliness.

:lol:.

AVEN #1 fan

Some of these are kind of hard to answer. Like "do you date"? I put "yes" because I would like to date, but no one has ever asked me to date them in all seriousness and those I've asked to date me have rather...brutally...rejected me, haha.

And like for sex-repulsed I put no, but I've never had sex. In this state of mind right here, right now, I think "I'm not sex repulsed", but what if I agree to have sex for a partner and it just freaks me right the f*** out? I just can't stomach it? What I'm saying is...no basis of comparison for me, so I just went with how I am at the moment.

I'm the only person who put "I'm ace and unsure if I want to" under "do you have sex?" because this again falls under the "I might MAYBE do it to please a partner but it might go poorly. Or greatly! But that still doesn't undermine that I've never been sexually attracted to anyone even when crushing hard on them."

'Tis a thorough poll, though, without my silliness.

:lol:.

Thx, well, I guess you understood it well.
touching-not-so-much

I missed a couple of answers (like being a virgin) before I clicked Vote, and I had a little trouble with some of the questions as others, like "do you date" and "do you like sex" since I only dated twice, decades ago and haven't had sex. Otherwise its a (maybe TOO) thorough poll.

Plectrophenax

This should be very interesting.

I do, however, miss a few options in spite of the range being quite wide and seemingly exhaustive. You don't allow 'unsure' in every category, even though you allow for it in most. That seems to me a rather serious oversight - especially questions like "are you sex repulsed", where one may easily not be able to gauge one's position for one reason or another. Likewise for any question about the weird complexity of the 'romantic'.

Additionally, there is a notion I don't fully understand. For the question "are you romantic" it is possible to answer "I am aro and yes". Doesn't the first part of the reply already make it clear [i am aromantic]? How can one then continue by affirming the question? Are there two meanings of 'romantic' at play here? If so, could you please explain briefly so I know how to respond properly?

If I had to guess, 'romantic' here is meant in the sense of 'romantically active' and thus need not be the same as ones placement on the romantic spectrum. But I also thought that dating was the measure of 'romatic activity', and you indeed have a seperate question for that. It also can't mean affinity to the notion of romance because that, too, is its seperate question. So I really am unsure. If someone could help me out of my confusion, I'd be grateful.

binary suns

there is a question "where are you on the romantic orientation" and later a question "are you romantic" I don't understand what the second question is asking...

Hobbes∞

Does anyone else find questions without capital letters weirdly endearing? I'm a pretentious grammar snob but all these questions look cute. It doesn't really apply to sentences that aren't questions so I can't tell what my brain is even doing.

'your hat is a bizarre fashion choice.' Not cool.

'do you have any bizarre hats?' Yes cool.

Please tell me I'm not going slowly mad by finding this appealing.

The last few questions, especially "Do you date?" were kind of hard for me, because I don't date, but I want to. I just chose what was closest.

Perissodactyla

I don't know how others feel, but I felt that 'platonic affection' is under-represented.

Affection has the potential to be as least as strongly felt as romance or sex.

And it doesn't necessarily require touch.

The terms used in this questionnaire are (obviously):

(a)sexual

(a)romantic

(a)libido

(a)repulsed

(a)touch

sex

dating

romance

How can you be aromantic and still like romance?

Perissodactyla

That confused me, too. :)

But then I remembered that some asexuals claim to like sex, so figured it was somehow similar?

Hooded_Crow

I've been trying to put it this way: aromantic = never in love. You can like romance when you'r not in love. You can enjoy romantic movies and such. Doesn't necessarily mean you're projecting yourself in the situation.

I've been trying to put it this way: aromantic = never in love. You can like romance when you'r not in love. You can enjoy romantic movies and such. Doesn't necessarily mean you're projecting yourself in the situation.

aromantic means that you are not interested in romance. Not that you are not in love.

Perissodactyla

I understand what you mean and it's a good suggestion.

But I don't think your equation is correct.

aromantic = never romantic, or perhaps never in romantic love.

One could claim that it's possible to be platonicly in love and without romance.

And as you rightly say, some people who are aro or even platonically affectionate could enjoy romantic themes in movies or literature.

Plectrophenax

I figured it meant the notion of romance. It seems perfectly feasable that one is aromantic [i.e. not prone to or outright unable to feel 'romantic' attraction/desire] while still liking the concept of romance and all it includes [intimacy, thoughtfulness, sensuality, maturity, etc]. As such, it seems possible for someone to deem themselves aromantic while liking romance, much like it is possible for someone to deem themselves aromantic while dating.

What's beyond me is that it's seemingly possible to deem oneself aromantic while being romantic. ["Are you romantic?" "I'm aro and yes"]

If you've ever heard of the concept of being "in love with being in love" and understand that concept, this sort of thing would probably make a lot more sense to you.

I know a number of people here who still enjoy reading romance, love seeing it happen for their friends (or hell, even their favorite fictional characters), and partake in things like shipping just as rabidly as the next fan. It can be safely said that these people love romance. But they just don't experience those feelings toward anyone else themselves, which makes them effectively aromantic.

touching-not-so-much

Confusing poll is confusing.

Amen to this.

I made a number of choies on the same sections, because I'm probably asexual and might be aromantic but I'm not certain about any of it. I have dated but don't know but might, but not sure if I really want to, and same with sex, etc. Asexuality seems like a much more nebulous designation than "gay" and I'm not sure a poll you came up with in a day is going to give anything particularly useful, unfortunately. Now the MMPI that was 625 questions - I don't know if IT was useful either but it sure FELT like it should have been.

On one question I ticked the wrong box because I got confused by 'aro, no' versus 'not aro, no' but otherwise, very interesting!

Though it obviously isn't going to tell us anything about percentages in the general population it did seem thorough and well thought out.

I don't know how others feel, but I felt that 'platonic affection' is under-represented.

Affection has the potential to be as least as strongly felt as romance or sex.

And it doesn't necessarily require touch.

The terms used in this questionnaire are (obviously):

(a)sexual

(a)romantic

(a)libido

(a)repulsed

(a)touch

sex

dating

romance

You have a great point which I totally overlooked.

Platonic Love could use more options/representation within the questions.

It is really weird to me that somehow people undervalue aromantic relationships. Even within the poll I forgot or failed to notice it, but it's just not counted much by most people.

I love and would die for my brothers. I would, because of love, give a kidney for any of them or my sisters-in-law or my neice or nephew. I love them all sincerely. I love my friends and any of them are welcome to call me even in the middle of the night if they need to talk--and I have trouble getting back to sleep so that's an offer with sacrifice attached.

But as much as I love them I am not the least bit -romantic- about that love. But it is real and has weight and value and adds immeasurably to my life.

Archived