Visibility Craft-a-long?

crafts_not_coitus

crafts_not_coitus

Hi everybody,

This is just an idea floating around in my head right now, but there seem to be a lot of creative people here. What if we had a craft-a-long, where everybody choosing to participate made an ace-visibility craft of their choosing during the month of June? The craft could be anything, as long as it's ace-related and something that other people will see. It could be as simple as a bracelet or patch, or even as elaborate as a quilt. Examples include, but are not limited to: knitted/crochet hats or scarves, yarn bombs, street art, candles, soaps, duct tape crafts, painted shoes, painted pallet crafts, sewn clothing/totes/flags, ANYTHING. Just make something ace that doesn't currently exist, but could exist by applying your creativity to some supplies.

We can discuss our projects, share pics in progress, and at the end, we can proudly wear, display, or share our new ace visibility items. Any interest?

Wiseja1987

I would love to make an Ace flag scarf!

UncommonNonsense

Sure!

I do ace (and other LGBT identity) pride keychains, lanyards, jewellery, and dreamcatchers, but I also do comic book art and portraits.

I'd been kind of mulling over an idea for a large (~2') dreamcatcher in ace colours, something meant to hang from a window or ceiling, for a while now, and maybe this is the impetus to finally do it.

I would love to make an Ace flag scarf!

I have one! I knit an ace flag hat, too.

crafts_not_coitus

Fantastic! I'm glad this is being met with positivity. Let's make it official! Craft-a-long starts June 1st, for anyone who wants to join; we'll just keep using this thread. I can't wait to see all of your wonderful creativity! I think I'll be knitting myself something new, but I'm not sure what yet. Time to go look at patterns!

TeaMistress

I already made an Ace flag scarf, but I'd love to try another one, or maybe even a blanket. Is there a deadline for when we have to be finished by? Or can we just keep going until we are done?

crafts_not_coitus

I already made an Ace flag scarf, but I'd love to try another one, or maybe even a blanket. Is there a deadline for when we have to be finished by? Or can we just keep going until we are done?

It's however you work best as an individual. If you work best with a deadline, let's say June 30, and then we'll start a new craft-a-long in July (assuming there's still interest.) If you work best with a free-spirited approach, or are planning a bigger project, then by all means, let the project dictate its own finish date; simply ignore the deadline and carry it over into the next month's craft-a-long if needed!

The important part is that we are creating together, in a low-pressure, self-guided way that suits each of us best as individuals. (And also that we are creating nifty handmade Ace-pride things!)

TeaMistress

I very much like this plan. I tend to work slowly, so being able to carry on relieved pressure! I'm looking forward to this!

crafts_not_coitus

Just a reminder that the craft-a-long starts tomorrow! :-) Is everybody who wants to participate ready? (Also, if you want to participate but aren't ready, this is a work-at-your-own-pace, self-guided, no-pressure thing, so no worries; the most important thing is that we are creating ace-related items for ourselves and for others that didn't exist before, so join us when you're ready.)

I think I personally will be focusing on making small little trinkets to share with other aces as acts of kindness and human connectedness. June is a busy month for me, (2 camping trips, a vacation, and Father's Day,) so I need something highly portable that I can put down in a hurry. I'm collecting interesting-shaped stones, preferably heart-shaped, from Lake Michigan, and making them into little ace-flag buddies. Also, I'm working on adapting a friendship bracelet pattern into something that looks like an ace flag ribbon. I've got two incarnations that I've made, and I know I've got at least two more to do, probably even more before I'm happy, so I should have a handful of ace bracelets and a finished pattern by the time the month is done. (I'll keep posting pics as the bracelets evolve.)

I think the hat that I wanted to knit will likely have to wait for next month. Also, sometime before winter, I want to design some knitted flag socks with eyelet lace creating the knitter's choice of a heart or spade pattern.

Anyway, here's a pic of my June trinket prototypes in progress. On my vacation I'll be combing the beaches of Lake Huron and Lake Michigan for more heart-ish-shaped stones, (they're somewhat common,) but for now I only had one, and an interesting triangle-shaped stone.

image.jpg

If anybody wants a bracelet or flag buddy, let me know, and I'll mail your preferred trinket to you at the end of the month (even internationally, and there's no need to be part of the craft-a-long to receive one.)

I hope those who chose to participate in the craft-a-long will enjoy it as much as I will! I'm really excited to know that there are others here who are interested in crafting together.

EmotionalAndroid

Wow, that bracelet pattern is gorgeous! I only know how to make a basic chevron. xD

crafts_not_coitus

Aw, thanks!!! I can send you the finished pattern when I'm done, if you want. It only uses forward knots and backward knots, just like chevrons, but starting order of the strings is important, and different color threads need to be cut to different sizes, since some colors are used more than others. Once the flow of the pattern is established, however, it's really easy to do. I'm going to experiment with a version with fewer threads next, since this one has 14 and is pretty wide; I personally would like something narrower, and I'd also like to see what it looks like with the color order flipped so that black is the continuous color.

TeaMistress

Those little stones are adorable! Love them. Day one of craft-along and I have done nothing XD. I intend to start on a Pride festival headband tomorrow, so fingers crossed I actually do it!

TeaMistress

So the efforts of Day Two consist of the main headband, and two of the flowers I'm going to sew on. Not too bad for an hour or so of work.

14vmy47.jpg

crafts_not_coitus

OMG I LOVE THAT!!! Those flowers are adorable!

Morning Glory

This. Is. Awesome. :3 I love this thread!

I've already been working on bracelets:

ouxhzk.jpg

I'm also trying to make keychains/zipper charms(?):

2195v1j.jpg

These are charms I'm making, which I plan on using for necklaces, magnets, etc:

5bbcl3.jpgm8fjif.jpg

And I tried my hand at tie-dying! But the gray didn't show up too well, so I'm re-dying it:

180rjs.jpg

There are a lot of other crafts I'm planning on making~ :3

I'm enjoying this thread enormously. I'm mostly a knitter, myself. I may post something in due course...

Meanwhile, I'm particularly taken by Morning Glory's beautiful spade-shaped charms and craft-not-coitus's gorgeous friendship bracelets. (I'd never even tried to make a friendship bracelet until two or three weeks ago, and I was inspired by the need to do something in flag colours. I've been wearing them since. If anyone has noticed, they haven't commented. I'd love to graduate to something as advance as yours, eventually.)

crafts_not_coitus

Yay! Those are all super awesome!!! I really, really like the tie dye concept!

I think I settled on a bracelet design I'm happy with; now it's just a matter of re-doing it with pics and writing up a pattern/tutorial. When it's finished, if anybody wants to make their own, pattern testers would be much appreciated. It's only 8 strands and works with almost any background color. Finished pattern will be distributed freely.

image.jpg

Morning Glory

I'm enjoying this thread enormously. I'm mostly a knitter, myself. I may post something in due course...

Meanwhile, I'm particularly taken by Morning Glory's beautiful spade-shaped charms and craft-not-coitus's gorgeous friendship bracelets. (I'd never even tried to make a friendship bracelet until two or three weeks ago, and I was inspired by the need to do something in flag colours. I've been wearing them since. If anyone has noticed, they haven't commented. I'd love to graduate to something as advance as yours, eventually.)

Aww! Thank you so much! I'm thrilled that you like them! I'd be happy to send you one. :3 I'm too fond of the middle one at the top of the first picture, so I won't be giving that one up. But any other one can be yours.

I'm willing to give away my first creations, as I feel that they're not my best, but I'm hoping I'll be able to sell some of my creations. I'm not looking at making a huge prophet; just enough to break even, so I can keep crafting, with a little bit extra to fund my goals in raising asexual awareness. :3

TeaMistress

I am loving everything in this thread! You guys have some awesome things. Those charms are adorable, and that last bracelet is beautiful!

TeaMistress

And here are the results of day three. I must say I'm really loving these little flowers. Just the purple ones left to do now.

29c2tcm.jpg

Yay! Those are all super awesome!!! I really, really like the tie dye concept!

I think I settled on a bracelet design I'm happy with; now it's just a matter of re-doing it with pics and writing up a pattern/tutorial. When it's finished, if anybody wants to make their own, pattern testers would be much appreciated. It's only 8 strands and works with almost any background color. Finished pattern will be distributed freely.

image.jpg

This looks like a really fun idea. Unfortunately I already have three projects in progress. I supposed with some tweaking I could make one asexual themed. It's already purple, so maybe.

Also, I really love this bracelet by the way. It looks amazing. It's just so cute and almost dainty looking.

Good luck everyone. I'm sure your projects will turn out great! ^_^

Siimo van der fietspad

I'm planning to make an ace-pride decorated cake for a picnic meetup we are having in a few weeks, hoping to work out how to colour the sponge purple and then put some fondant in a chequerboard pattern on top.

I've started decorating clothes with printable transfers and am thinking of branching out into trying fabric pens and paints. However purple isn't really my colour, so this might be something I would only do if somebody else wanted such an item.

What would be properly amazing, and a huge project for somebody with the necessary skills, would be lacquering a guitar with an ace design. Apparently you have to put about thirty coats or varnish over the paint, which is at least a month's work with the drying time involved. In fact a guitar case would also be a possible project too.

And I tried my hand at tie-dying! But the gray didn't show up too well, so I'm re-dying it:

180rjs.jpg

I love this!

Crafts aren't my forté but I did make an ace flag cake last month that I was quite pleased with!

TeaMistress

Day 5 is over and I am done! I love this headband, and will probably make many more this month :D

ly9hl.jpg

2nuiujn.jpg

crafts_not_coitus

Day 5 is over and I am done! I love this headband, and will probably make many more this month :D

OMG your headband is AMAZING!!! I love it!!! Great job!

TeaMistress

OMG your headband is AMAZING!!! I love it!!! Great job!

Aw thank you so much! :D

Dodecahedron314

Whoa, how have I only just seen this thread? Unfortunately I'm in the fray of finals weeks so I don't have anything to contribute right now, but I've had a AAA Pride scarf idea I've been sitting on for a while, and if I can mange to get the yarn for it, I'll definitely join in! (The only pride-y thing I've made as of late is an agender flag bracelet, but hopefully I'll have a chance to redo the ring I have in my avatar as well.)

I made earrings for the craft-a-long:

17899914404f807e1ed6885645776ede.jpg

6405777820cbd80f20b9044ae77f0c01.jpg

Archived