Should I come out ?

willkendrick

Let me begin by saying that I am very new here and this is my first post on the forums.

I recently found out about asexuality through a friend and now, my constant lack of interest makes much more sense. However, the same friend invited me to pride in Toronto this year but how do I go without explaining to my parents? I am only 16 years old and I identify as heteroromantic asexual but is that really something I should tell my parents about?

Side note: Is there anyone here going to pride in Toronto? Will we be all alone?

Thanks again guys :D luv ya

It's up to you. You don't have to tell anybody if you don't want to. It is different for aroaces than for alloromantics because for you, you will probably still be in relationships so it is mostly a matter of how open about/involved you want to be with your asexuality and the community. Some alloromantics don't see a point in coming out because they see sexuality as something private, where others want to be open and out. You may also fall in between.

I came out to my parents by buying a black ring. I asked my mom, later, if she knew what it meant and then when she said no I suggested she look it up. I was too nervous to announce it out loud so this worked well for me. So now when I go to pride I can beeline for the ace booths with no questions asked.

As for pride, I dunno... my parents are gay so I don't know how straight families see pride. I don't know why it would be weird for you to go, it's kind of just a big 'ol party with fair food and lots of rainbows and stuff. You could say you're going with some friends, or if you wanted to (again you DO NOT have to come out if you don't want to or feel ready) you could use it to say "well, I actually want to go because I identify as asexual" or something. Just a thought :)

Best of luck!

Coming out is a very personal thing. I actually came out last year after going to the London pride parade and marching with the asexual group and used pictures from that to "come out" on Facebook to my family and friends. The response that I got was entirely positive from everyone. However you know your own situation between than anyone else.

Blue Phoenix Ace

That's a tough call. You have to weigh the pros and cons of coming out. Once your parents know, they can't unknow it. It sounds like they would be receptive to it, so it's not much to worry about. Think of some of the reasons you have for coming out. You won't have to be sneaky about going to things like pride. You won't have to guard your words anymore. You can start educating people around you about it. It may be easier to find a boyfriend/girlfriend if people generally know. Come up with some reasons and weigh those against the potential costs. Good luck!