Any WoW fans?

SpookyAce

Post your b-tag and I'll add you. I would love more people to play with! :D

I'm ZigzagTiger#1820! I don't have subs during the uni year though, otherwise I do no work!

grimfang999

I play WoW but on European servers, which unfortunately are still separate from the American ones.

So I think while sharing battletags we should specify which region you play.

For me, its grimfang999#2625 on the European server, please let me know if you send me a request on here or in PM, I tend not to accept random requests.

I play WoW and Hearthstone, horde and alliance.

Not until it goes F2P (beyond that lvl 20 trial), or at least B2P. :p

I have spare time galore, but very little money... so I've tried a lot of F2P MMOs.

Not until it goes F2P (beyond that lvl 20 trial), or at least B2P. :P

I have spare time galore, but very little money... so I've tried a lot of F2P MMOs.

Farm gold and buy a token like in Rift and Everquest :D

WoW allows for that option by now?? :o That would be news to me.

Yep. You can also buy tokens and sell them for gold. WoW does it a little different... the tokens are a set price, rather than allowing people to undercut. So, if you look in the store and it says tokens are "27,999g" then they really are 27,999g and that's what you'll get for your token.

Yep. You can also buy tokens and sell them for gold. WoW does it a little different... the tokens are a set price, rather than allowing people to undercut. So, if you look in the store and it says tokens are "27,999g" then they really are 27,999g and that's what you'll get for your token.

Hmmm. You might get me to actually give WoW a try then... :D

Okay... made a freebie account and actually leveled a bit... sure looks fun enough. :) But here's the bad news:

WoW F2P only allows you to carry a maximum of 10 gold, and you can neither use trade, nor mail, nor the auction house... so, even if you grind like crazy, you physically cannot play beyond lvl 20 without upgrading the account to subscription with real cash, at least once. And if you do so and reach a level where you can farm enough gold for the token, the problem still is that if you set the game aside for a while (which I'm always doing... I play lots of games in bursts for a few weeks, then afterwards don't log in for months at a time), and the subscription has run out in that time, you will again have to spend real cash to log in at all again; it's not just that the chars will merely get XP-frozen again (like freebies do at lvl 20), you won't be able to access them at all.

So, like I thought, it's definitely just a trial version, even more so than crippled freemium models are. *cough*SWTOR*cough* I guess Azeroth will have to get saved without me, after all. :p

WoW is psuedo F2P at this point. If you're smart with the AH you can easily make the gold it takes to buy a token every month.

WoW is psuedo F2P at this point. If you're smart with the AH you can easily make the gold it takes to buy a token every month.

But that implies a commitment to actually playing every month so the sub - whether paid by cash or by tokens - never once runs out, right? If you're a "hopper" between games, like me, I doubt it's workable.

Yeah especially in Europe. The EU token has always been 1.5-2x the price of the US token, and the prices are constantly going up. (Right now, the EU token is at 85k.) While it's doable, it's certainly a commitment to make at least that each month. And in any case, definitely not F2P, buying the game is mandatory to make gold.

You can let your sub run out and pay for a token from the game menu though, so you can take breaks, you just have to make sure you leave with enough gold to come back or, smarter, buy a token before leaving and use it from the game menu when coming back (so you aren't surprised with a big inflation). So basically, it's doable if you play a few weeks and then stop, even for months, as long as you make enough gold during those weeks. But it's probably not doable if you play a few days a month.

Anyway, I'm a WoW EU ally player (and occasional D3 player), I'll give my tag via PM if anyone is interested.

Grace Barton

I only got to try WoW once (a trial version) which I really enjoyed but had to give up because it was seriously eating my bandwidth. And I had no one to play it with, and it's a game that's more enjoyable when you play with others. Would I go back to it? Probably not. It was good and all, but unless I had a close-knit group of friends to play it with, I wouldn't be interested. That and unlimited bandwidth.

Push Pop the Wolfdog

I don't play WoW, but I do play WildStar, which was made by a company made up of people who left Blizzard to form Carbine Entertainment. I do know a little about WoW though, and it doesn't sound like my thing. Though if you want to find me on WildStar I'm Venoma Batghost, an aurin esper & scientist.

I don't play WoW, but I do play WildStar, which was made by a company made up of people who left Blizzard to form Carbine Entertainment. I do know a little about WoW though, and it doesn't sound like my thing. Though if you want to find me on WildStar I'm Venoma Batghost, an aurin esper & scientist.

OMG, I just recently started playing that! :D I'm on the European server, though... so I doubt we'll run into each other. (Cassian spellslinger soldier, just reached lvl 20. She's a gal, of course... already stuck with a male character in meatspace, opting out of that virtually whenever I get the chance. :p )

• 3 weeks later...

WoW token prices will drop once the new expansion hits. And i feel sorry for all you non-american regions, blizz needs to reset the token price every now and then.

That being said, US region Grabovsky#1329

Saw it opening day(at least first showing in my area). Greatly enjoyed it, though shame on them for making garona half human just to simplify things.

Archived