Distributions of age of first sexual attraction.

Lord of the nerds

Lord of the nerds

I remember seeing somewhere that the average age of first sexual attraction is 10 years. I attempted to find more data on the subject, but ultimately failed. All I could find was that the age does not follow standard deviation.

My question is, does anyone have any definitive data of what percent of people experience their first sexual attraction at what age? I am simply curious and would like to know (plus it could come in handy if someone tells me I am "too young to know yet" if I am ace).

Thank you in advance

Lord of the nerds

I remember seeing somewhere that the average age of first sexual attraction is 10 years. I attempted to find more data on the subject, but ultimately failed. All I could find was that the age does not follow standard deviation.

My question is, does anyone have any definitive data of what percent of people experience their first sexual attraction at what age? I am simply curious and would like to know (plus it could come in handy if someone tells me I am "too young to know yet" if I am ace).

Thank you in advance

Lord of the nerds

Thank you in advance

• 3 weeks later...

Haha, this means I was way belated. There's been only one boy I've been sexually attracted to and it started at the age of 19 :p .

Problem is, sexual attraction on AVEN is very different to sexual attraction in the real world.

1. It's not often called sexual attraction, because it's just "attraction".

2. "fancying" someone, i.e. increased heart rate, sweating, blushing etc is sexual attraction, but those symptoms are often (especially on AVEN) classed as a crush instead, and distanced from anything potentially sexual.

3. Sexual attraction isn't wanting to have sex with someone, it's just your body reacting. Someone "turns you on". I also doubt this can happen at age 10 (or younger, for that matter).

It's all well and good saying the average age for sexual attraction is so young, but when that's then interpreted as "omg sexual people want to fuck one another as kids!" by asexual folk, we've got a problem.

I was 7 when I had my first crush, though I wouldn't consider it sexual attraction. The first time I was actually turned on by someone was ten years later when I was 17.

My classmates already had relationships in elementary school and I know some of them were sexually active at 12, so saying the average is 10 doesn't sound so odd to me. My mother also used to tell me how all her female classmates in middle school had to drop out because they got pregnant. That probably won't happen anymore but it doesn't mean they don't have sex.

El-not-so-ace

I used to crush on boys since I was 5 years old apparently... I never wanted to do anything other than romantic cute things up until 24... I like deviating from the norm though. xD

Archived