Quoiromantic?

MackerelGray

MackerelGray

What's this mean? I've seen it some places, but I never got a clear description of what it meant.

I know that "quoi" means "what" in French...?

Lost247365

What's this mean? I've seen it some places, but I never got a clear description of what it meant.

I know that "quoi" means "what" in French...?

Quoiromantic/ aka WTF romantic means that you can't tell if you experience romantic attraction or not. Either because they can't tell romantic and platonic attractions apart or because they find the definition of romantic feelings unintelligible mush.

http://aromantic.wikia.com/wiki/Wtfromantic

It doesn't mean anything that the vast majority of people understand and that can't be better explained by using actual words, and it's an unnecessary term.

But, that's just my take on it.

If asked (which is doubtful), someone could just say "I don't know."

Blue Phoenix Ace

I've heard it described and it doesn't make much sense to me. It's when a person feels that a romantic orientation label does not apply to them at all. This is somehow different than saying that their romantic orientation is nobody. It would be like answering "what kind of dessert to you like?" with "New York City". It sounds a lot like aromanticism to me, but what do I know?

Blue Phoenix Ace

I feel like WTFromantics are just in a transitional phase, not really sure what their romantic orientation is. Saying that a romantic orientation doesn't even apply at all is like saying we don't have a height measurement. Everybody does, right?

I can understand being confused about your orientation, but it doesn't seem like a state you would want to settle down in permanently. Though I could be misunderstanding what this is, and I've certainly never felt this way, so what do I know?

ashenglaze

It's really hard to explain what it means to people who don't intuitively get it (because they aren't also quoi/WTF, etc), but basically it means that the line between romantic and nonromantic affection/gesture/relationships/etc are really blurred. For some there is no line, and it's more like a colour gradient where the extremes are distinct but the middle not so much, and that's what it's like for me.

So I can feel a strong emotion for someone but not know whether that emotion is romantic in nature or not. In my case it's because I have a hard time defining+understanding romance anyways. It's not confusion about orientation so much as confusion about the state of things. The assumption that it's a transition stage and the assumption that a quoi/WTFromantic person is confused about the orientation is wrong.

So the analogy of "what dessert do you like? nyc" would be incorrect; a more apt one would be asking someone who's never taken calculus how to solve derivatives, or depending on how quoi/WTF they are, someone who knows a bit, or who's bad at it, you get the point.

Archived