Golden Oldies out there...what books are you reading right now?

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

31 minutes ago, mothgirl said:

I also like the Maus books.

Have you seen "MetaMaus: A Look Inside A Modern Classic"?  I really liked it too.

I'm about to start "Life" by Keith  Richards of the Rolling Stones.  It's apparently quite graphic as far as his, uh, life and other peoples' lives.  

Just started Kings of the Wyld, by Nicholas Eames. It's a fantasy novel about some aging adventurers who get the band back together for an important mission.

Just finished Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis and starting Ahsoka by E.K. Johnston! 😁

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2016 at 9:44 PM, Guest Jetsun Milarepa said:

Hi,

I've been reading books that normally wouldn't interest me, but have grown into the stories and looking forward to more of the same. What books are you all reading?

Bear Grylls novel about a special forces operative and Val McDermid's 'Wire in the blood' series have gotten my attention. Both are action murder/mystery themes. I usually go for historical fiction, especially Roman era stuff.

So, what's your favourite read?

I read mostly murder mysteries . I like science fiction, too. Also, historical fiction

On 5/11/2016 at 3:14 AM, imnotafreakofnature! said:

I'm actually a book about asexuality right now entitled The Invisible Orientation by Julie Sondra Decker. Not my usual fare, either, but now that I've discovered asexualtiy, I want to find out all I can about it. :) My usual fare consists more of spiritual books, particularly shamanism. I also love Rainer Maria Rilke and Julia Cameron. I don't read a whole lot of fiction, but when I do, I like a good mystery (Agatha Christie fan :) ). I don't know how I could be such an avid reader all my life and not know about P.G. Wodehouse, but I recently discovered him and LOVE his stuff!

I laugh out loud at Jeeves and Wooster!! I like Christie too, but I've read them so many times I can't read them anymore. I

On 10/21/2019 at 9:27 PM, ms. mortricia said:

Have you seen "MetaMaus: A Look Inside A Modern Classic"?  I really liked it too.

I haven't heard of it. I will have to look it up.

• 1 year later...
imnotafreakofnature!

I've been off work this week, so I blew through several:

The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George - good, but some parts were a little strange

The Alchemist by Paul Coelho - loved the descriptive but poetic way it was written

Illusions by Richard Bach - I know it was a huge hit back in the day, but I thought it was just weird

Perspectives On Yoga by Abbot George Burke - I had started that before vacation and finally finished it; while I don't agree with everything he says, it was still an excellent book overall, highly recommended for anyone "livin' la vida yoga" lol

A Boy And His Dog At The End Of The World by C.A. Fletcher - currently reading, really good so far

My spiritual search continues, so in between the above titles, I've also been immersing myself in ancient wisdom literature from buddhist, taoist, stoic and gnostic writings.

• 3 weeks later...

“The Fix” by Nathan Hill, “The Book of Laughter and Forgetting” by Milan Kundera, and “The Book of Disquiet” by Fernando Passoa.

Archived