Coming out

Cadenza

Anyone here have suggestions on how to come out as asexual to a homophobic (and possibly acephobic) parent? I feel invisible because I hide my identity from my mom.

I don't know you or your mom, but I'll try my best to help.

If you believe that you should do it but are afraid she'll react badly to the label, you could just describe it. Some people find that easier to understand. It may work to say something along the lines of "I am not really interested in relationships" or "Relationships are not my priority right now."

I hope whatever you do turns out well for you! I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.

NerotheReaper

At the day of the day, only you can truly judge your situation.

I personally haven't told my parents about me being ace, mainly because I don't see the point in coming out. While I am probably considered lucky that they are nice, I just don't think they need to know I don't have sexual attraction. Same thing for you, do you feel like you have to come out? Because if you don't feel safe or comfortable, you shouldn't force yourself. Maybe drop hints, casually bring it up to see the reaction and use that to decide to come out or not.

Archived