I CALL DIBS! HAHAHAHAHA.

>_>;

Anyway, I saw this in a fraction of a second while browsing the BBC news section (it's almost as if I'm attracted to the word "asexual"): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36153289

Once again they fail to even mention "aromantic". We DO exist....well I think I do.

(And no I have not returned to AVEN, I just thought I'd contribute to WW for once after finding that. And stuff.)

Are any aromantic people interviewed?

I got this through my Twitter feed and came here to post it. Awesome !

The comments on Facebook in the BBC news group are horrific. Tried a bit of educating, waiting for the backlash.

The comments on Facebook in the BBC news group are horrific. Tried a bit of educating, waiting for the backlash.

Rule number one for progressive thinkers ...never read the comments.

I usually don't. That's the sad thing.
SunlightOnTheGarden

On the specific point about aromantic people - we did suggest including aromantic people, but the BBC specifically wanted to talk to asexual people in relationships, and York Uni's number of openly ace aro people in relationships is zero, so we had to settle for the article we got.

It's about asexual relationships, yes, so aromantic people might not be that relevant to it, but it doesn't mention aromanticism specifically - basically just the bullet point of "For those that do experience romantic attraction, some identify themselves as hetero or homoromantic" (which is also missing bi and panromantic, and I find those to be quite important, as decoupling sexuality from romantic relationships seems to remove much of the reason sex/gender matters to most people).

Perhaps the BBC will follow up with something about aromantic people. I absolutely do not want the average person's exposure to asexuality to be "...but they still date and find partners!" That is what I face far more misunderstanding and discrimination on, personally. I experience more marginalization from being permanently single - based on my aromanticism, not desperate loneliness - than I do from not wanting sex. Awareness and education on that would definitely help, and I know I'm not the only one in this position.

SunlightOnTheGarden

Oh, I completely agree - definitely needs to be a priority. Was just explaining why in this specific instance there weren't any aro voices - it wasn't for want of trying.

I also completely agree that it could have been considerably clearer that asexual people can still date, not do, something that was clearer in interviews than in the finished article (as is pretty much always the case in the media). Equally, there are people in that piece who identify as both pan and bi, so it being not mentioned is purely editorial choice. However, I do think it's as important to say that it is ok for asexual people to have relationships as it is to say that asexual people can also not experience romantic attraction.

Now... what IS it like to date someone who's ace?

Member4445

It's pretty cool actually, Homer. I feel really compatible with my partner ^_^

Good news is from my comments on that article, I've had 6 people message me asking genuine questions and saying they think they might be asexual.

Ciri did ~good~

*Disclaimer* I'm not involved in the article in any way. I just read it, saw the comments and decided there was too much negativity in there and tried to turn it into a positive.

How did it go?

Yeah :(

Good news is from my comments on that article, I've had 6 people message me asking genuine questions and saying they think they might be asexual.

Ciri did ~good~

Yay!

I love lightbulb moments. :cake:

Archived