define small talk

binary suns

binary suns

what is small talk???? I don't understand...

I'd define it as very, very casual conversation. Sticking to light topics and not really discussing anything worthwhile. Somewhat like simple discussions you'd have with a stranger while waiting in line for something. Basic stuff. Extremely uninteresting in my opinion.

binary suns

heh, all those words are just as confusing to me as "small talk" :unsure:

Best described by examples:

"How's the weather?"
"So what are you doing for the weekend?"

"How was your day?"

"What did you have for breakfast/lunch/dinner?"

Sometimes accompanied by awkwardness and boredom, or the feeling of wanting to escape the conversation because of how awkward/boring it is. Usually used for talking over food or to strangers. Never has any substance or value.

I suppose I'd define it simply as perhaps a Vulcan would. Talk that has no logical purpose, no "end" to accomplish aside from the fact that it can be a good ice breaker for some people, and help others be more at ease.

Something vapid and pointless with the sole purpose of wasting time or demonstrating that you're at least in somewhat friendly terms with each other.

Yesterday I was at a "tea party" (or whatever) and the small talk between the mostly middle aged ladies was downright sickening. Like talking about your sibling's children, whom no-one in the group has ever heard or cared about before, and not even about anything exceptional in their lives, but basically mentioning that they exist and do trivial stuff. You start to feel misanthropic for less!

Small talk is time filling chatter about harmless subjects, such as the weather, and polite comments regarding the host, event et al. Basically the gentle art of saying a lot without saying anything, and all protagonists will have forgotten about five minutes later on

Grace Barton

I usually refer to small talk as making polite conversation, such as asking how someone's doing, what they've been up to, do they have any plans for the weekend or any holidays booked, etc. The kind of stuff you'd expect to ask someone about themselves before moving on to any more serious topics you might want to discuss.

I've learned through a communications course that small talk actually does serve a purpose of forming and maintaining relationships. I realize that's it's not entirely shallow and does serve a function. I can't say I really enjoy it though.

Archived