K-Pop Thread!

Galactic Turtle

Galactic Turtle

Hello humans!

Long story short, I'm K-pop trash. I've been listening to it since 2008 and love everything from the videos to the choreography to attending live concerts!

There's really no point to this thread except to maybe spazz a bit in the off chance anyone else on AVEN likes K-pop. My favorite group is TVXQ/JYJ but the comebacks I'm paying attention to right now are VIXX and Seventeen meanwhile the debut of NCT U (while the concept of the group has me a bit iffy...) has me pretty captivated!

NCT U came out with two music videos but the one I like more is "The 7th Sense." You can check out the performance version of the video (because I enjoy K-pop dances way too much). :P Anywho, I wish them luck!

(Also that awkward moment when the oldest dude in an idol group is a solid six months younger than you)

I only just recently listened to some music of the genre. So far only listen to Glamour Girls and Red Velvet... haven't tried any other groups yet.

Galactic Turtle

I only just recently listened to some music of the genre. So far only listen to Glamour Girls and Red Velvet... haven't tried any other groups yet.

Glamour Girls? Is that a group? XD I've never heard of them. Red Velvet is awesome though!

Did you listen to GLAM or maybe Girls Generation?

Hello! I haven't been following newer K-Pop groups that came out within the last few years. The newest one I have on my iTunes is probably... Akdong Musician? And they've been around for quite a while lol. I prefer more senior groups, though I haven't exactly been following them either except the few I really like. I just have kinda stepped back from K-Pop as a whole, I guess.

I, however, am a long time SONE (aka a Girls' Generation's hardcore fan) and I have been since 2009. They actually had a concert in my country just like 2 weeks ago. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Okay, cue the awesomeness that is GG!

Also when they were still 9.

PerformativeSurprise

I'm into K-Pop too :) . My favorite group would have to be DBSK (the older stuff in particular, but I also like the new), but I also really like Shinee, Brown Eyed Girls, Red Velvet, Mamamoo, 2NE1, and LEDApple. Some solo artists I like are Xia Junsu, Rain, BoA, K.Will, Ailee, IU, and Lyn.

ChillaKilla

Oh no I'm being dragged into this thread :lol:

My first groups were 2NE1 and EXO, I listen to far too many groups to list, I went to Kcon last summer in NY and saw VIXX, AOA, Teen Top, and SNSD live (and got a hi-touch with VIXX!), my ultimate bias group is currently BTS with Namjoon as my UB (but his spot is being threaten by BYG from B.A.P), and I just attended a B.A.P concert last night. Whew!

I lean more towards rocker/hip hop groups like Block B, BTS, B.A.P, VIXX, than more pop style groups like SHINee, JYJ, B1A4, et cetera. If it's not intense and in a minor key, it has to be something really special for me to listen to it. Like Butterfly by BTS. How could I not like it?

(I still can't get over seeing B.A.P though, and getting an album signed by Daehyun. I pray there are good fancams of my favorite songs)

Galactic Turtle

My first groups were 2NE1 and EXO, I listen to far too many groups to list, I went to Kcon last summer in NY and saw VIXX, AOA, Teen Top, and SNSD live (and got a hi-touch with VIXX!), my ultimate bias group is currently BTS with Namjoon as my UB (but his spot is being threaten by BYG from B.A.P), and I just attended a B.A.P concert last night. Whew!

I lean more towards rocker/hip hop groups like Block B, BTS, B.A.P, VIXX, than more pop style groups like SHINee, JYJ, B1A4, et cetera. If it's not intense and in a minor key, it has to be something really special for me to listen to it. Like Butterfly by BTS. How could I not like it?

(I still can't get over seeing B.A.P though, and getting an album signed by Daehyun. I pray there are good fancams of my favorite songs)

I live in NYC but I didn't see BAP this time around since I've already seen them twice and wasn't a fan of their last comeback. I did win a signed EXO CD at the new Nature Republic in K-Town though. ^_^

I love pop style groups mostly because I'm SM trash but my friend got me into VIXX during their On and On era, Block B's albums are always solid, and I feel like everybody and their mother talks about BTS so I've been kind of following all their 10 minute long videos. Their new teaser dropped today and it looks like it will be upbeat more like Dope so I'm excited.

ChillaKilla

I live in NYC but I didn't see BAP this time around since I've already seen them twice and wasn't a fan of their last comeback. I did win a signed EXO CD at the new Nature Republic in K-Town though. ^_^

I love pop style groups mostly because I'm SM trash but my friend got me into VIXX during their On and On era, Block B's albums are always solid, and I feel like everybody and their mother talks about BTS so I've been kind of following all their 10 minute long videos. Their new teaser dropped today and it looks like it will be upbeat more like Dope so I'm excited.

Oh for the love of god I have finals and stuff and they decide to drop 3 MVs this month. No, no it's not like I needed to live anyway
Galactic Turtle

I'm into K-Pop too :) . My favorite group would have to be DBSK (the older stuff in particular, but I also like the new), but I also really like Shinee, Brown Eyed Girls, Red Velvet, Mamamoo, 2NE1, and LEDApple. Some solo artists I like are Xia Junsu, Rain, BoA, K.Will, Ailee, IU, and Lyn.

I'm a Cassiopeia too! It's a bit strange with almost all of them in the army these days. SHINee is in my country right now but they're not coming anywhere near my city however I hope to see Mamamoo at KCON this year because I think they're amazing. I'm also happy that XIA is releasing another album but that guy should enlist before he gets in trouble...

PerformativeSurprise

I'm a Cassiopeia too! It's a bit strange with almost all of them in the army these days. SHINee is in my country right now but they're not coming anywhere near my city however I hope to see Mamamoo at KCON this year because I think they're amazing. I'm also happy that XIA is releasing another album but that guy should enlist before he gets in trouble...

I actually haven't seen any Kpop acts in concert yet, but I'd like to if I get the chance. I don't always have the money, time, and/or opportunity to do concerts in general anymore, although I do love them.

I'm looking forward to XIA's album too, but I was surprised to find out he was releasing one--I figured he'd enlist before doing another album. Then again, lots of entertainers do seem to wait until the last minute with enlistment.

that nct u debut was really good but i only like girls' generation. i cant deal with anything else because of the korean idol industry's blatant discrimination against chinese people/non koreans

Obvious kpop trash incoming...actually, I kind of drifted away from the kpop fandom a few months ago. I stopped actively keeping up with groups (I got tired, it's so much effort) but I try my best to find time for kpop in between my current interests.

EXO zhang yixing needs to go solo. he has so much potential and is losing so much light because his company insists on giving 70% of chinese lines to nonchinese speakers when he can carry them all himself with flawless pronunciation and vocal skill

...What are some fun, cheery / high-energy K-Pop songs I should know?

I know nothing about K-Pop but am curious about it, and I do like, say, BabyMetal and Shonen Knife (neither of which are K, I know, or Pop much... lol)

I tried the videos in the posts above, but I'm in the wrong place and late to the party -- none of them will play for me. But if you have any song titles and artist / band names I can go look them up. Suggestions? (。⌒∇⌒)。

I know nothing about K-Pop but am curious about it, and I do like, say, BabyMetal and Shonen Knife (neither of which are K, I know, or Pop much... lol)

I tried the videos in the posts above, but I'm in the wrong place and late to the party -- none of them will play for me. But if you have any song titles and artist / band names I can go look them up. Suggestions? (。⌒∇⌒)。

Most groups experiment with different concepts, so most usually have some cheery stuff. Most of Girls' Generation's title songs are cheery: Gee, Oh!, I Got a Boy, Lion Heart, Party; others are Echo, Be Happy, My Child, Animal. they have a lot of songs, there are way more

Happiness by Red Velvet is singlehandedly the most cheery song in the history of the universe. Oh My Girl is a newish group and they have good cheery songs like One Step, Two Steps

Most groups experiment with different concepts, so most usually have some cheery stuff. Most of Girls' Generation's title songs are cheery: Gee, Oh!, I Got a Boy, Lion Heart, Party; others are Echo, Be Happy, My Child, Animal. they have a lot of songs, there are way more

Happiness by Red Velvet is singlehandedly the most cheery song in the history of the universe. Oh My Girl is a newish group and they have good cheery songs like One Step, Two Steps

Thanks much, Mermaidy, I'll go check those out!

Heart Attack by AOA is also good. and theyre coming out with a new title song/album next week with a summer/lifeguard concept SO I think it's gona be a major bop

Galactic Turtle

There are tons of cheery songs! Some more recent ones from newer groups that I like are Red Velvet's "Dumb Dumb" and Seventeen's "Pretty U." The Choreography for that (I think) is better than the MV so I linked their comeback showcase performance! ^_^

Galactic Turtle

EXO zhang yixing needs to go solo. he has so much potential and is losing so much light because his company insists on giving 70% of chinese lines to nonchinese speakers when he can carry them all himself with flawless pronunciation and vocal skill

Since there are nine members, getting 30% of the song is pretty good and expected since he's the only one who speaks Chinese. XD I do feel bad though because he keeps talking about the music he has been preparing however in SM I'd be surprised if anyone was given a solo album before their respective group's fifth anniversary. From my point of view, EXO are still babies... but maybe I'm just getting old. ^_^

On top of that pretty much none of the solo work he's doing in China involves singing. I find the way he's being managed to be quite confusing though I do enjoy watching him on the TV show Go Fighting. It would be nice to see him participate more in group activities. These days I don't even notice when he's not there sometimes even though he's my bias. @__@ I wish I could've seen him when EXO performed in NYC.

But we'll see. I think for him it will become more like a Suju-M situation where the Chinese members are only involved during Chinese promotions if he doesn't leave the group entirely. Meanwhile I'm waiting to see how much of a mess SM's NCT plan will turn out to be.

Since there are nine members, getting 30% of the song is pretty good and expected since he's the only one who speaks Chinese. XD I do feel bad though because he keeps talking about the music he has been preparing however in SM I'd be surprised if anyone was given a solo album before their respective group's fifth anniversary. From my point of view, EXO are still babies... but maybe I'm just getting old. ^_^

On top of that pretty much none of the solo work he's doing in China involves singing. I find the way he's being managed to be quite confusing though I do enjoy watching him on the TV show Go Fighting. It would be nice to see him participate more in group activities. These days I don't even notice when he's not there sometimes even though he's my bias. @__@ I wish I could've seen him when EXO performed in NYC.

But we'll see. I think for him it will become more like a Suju-M situation where the Chinese members are only involved during Chinese promotions if he doesn't leave the group entirely. Meanwhile I'm waiting to see how much of a mess SM's NCT plan will turn out to be.

honestly, you're right, it IS really good for the amount he's getting in the case of equality/equal participation for all the remaining members. but really, I don't see much of a point in having members that specialize in certain aspects of entertainment, only to be forced to participate in each aspect of entertainment equally. non-vocalists should really get one line at most, and non-dancers should be consistently in the background of choreo performing less strenuous moves. likewise, I don't see a point in having Chinese/Chinese speaking members at all if a huge portion of singing/speaking is done by nonchinese members. idk. I know he's one person but (considering how nonkoreans never get the spotlight) he should get more than he does. do they even promote in China anymore (their songs in Chinese version)? if they barely do then I dont see a problem

Galactic Turtle

honestly, you're right, it IS really good for the amount he's getting in the case of equality/equal participation for all the remaining members. but really, I don't see much of a point in having members that specialize in certain aspects of entertainment, only to be forced to participate in each aspect of entertainment equally. non-vocalists should really get one line at most, and non-dancers should be consistently in the background of choreo performing less strenuous moves. likewise, I don't see a point in having Chinese/Chinese speaking members at all if a huge portion of singing/speaking is done by nonchinese members. idk. I know he's one person but (considering how nonkoreans never get the spotlight) he should get more than he does. do they even promote in China anymore (their songs in Chinese version)? if they barely do then I dont see a problem

Ever since EXO-M/EXO-K stopped being a thing (so pretty much since they started promoting as 12 instead of 6 and 6) their Chinese activities decreased in favor of doing more music shows/variety/etc during regular album promotions in Korea but they still go on the usual programs like Happy Camp but for album/single releases there is always a Korean and a Chinese version. Additionally there are some SM produced talk shows that are usually hosted by MC's who are also SM artists (Zhoumi/Victoria) but those are probably filmed in Korea.

For tours they obviously make several stops in China but even for those Yixing hasn't been present sometimes. Like they even attended an awards ceremony in China that Yixing wasn't there for because he was filming something else. Yixing also hasn't been part of EXO's Japanese promotions/tours at all or for concerts in countries in Southeast Asia and North America in favor of continuing his solo acting and variety activities in China that are arranged under his own management team that SM gave him. It has gotten to the point where people are surprised if he actually shows up to something and I think SM hasn't been doing a very good job of setting expectations for his involvement. Like I said, if they came out and said they'd format EXO more like Super Junior/Super Junior M then that would make fans less restless because otherwise right now EXO has the appearance of being one unit instead of two and when you're promoting as one unit (even if you have a lot of members) it's extraordinarily unusual for someone to miss the amount of activities that he has and if he were Korean people would be 100000x more upset about it but with the situation the way it is, everyone is just confused.

As far as his activities in China are concerned, Yixing has practically become SM's ambassador over there. Since I don't follow Chinese pop culture, I don't know what impact his activities have had in China since out of EXO's original Chinese lineup he was one of the less popular ones with Luhan being the most popular. With SM as invested in the Chinese market as they are, Yixing has been getting run ragged with all of the non-singing promotions he's been doing from variety shows to movies to commercial shoots. Also during EXO's Sing For You showcase he started crying when talking about missing activities while all the other members sat there awkwardly. I feel really bad for him along with all of EXO and their fans because the situation is so unclear.

In terms of choreography and line distribution, it's almost exactly as you described already. XD When they were promoting a ballad around Christmas time, everyone got so hype because Sehun got to sing one line when he usually never sings at all and maybe only has one or two rap lines. :P

ok I stopped paying attention to them really like 2 years ago tbh. I didnt even know YX has been having THIS much activity in China. but honestly I never really watched much of their stuff either. I was only in it for the China line so once they basically all left I stopped following.

I get the concern about being "one unit" but when SM ruined what they had (half for strictly Korean versions, half for Chinese) I really dont think there's a point to even worrying about him (and EXO isnt the only group where they didnt hold together). being a group doesn't really have a meaning anymore considering most of their major groups have been so fickle with the membership.

but it seems that YX doesnt promote with the group enough that giving him way more portions in (Chinese versions of) songs would matter (thinking in terms of health/exhaustion). and when they DO promote their title tracks/songs, it's always the Korean versions (for good reason) in which YX wouldnt really have major parts anyway (since that would be for the Korean members, as the Chinese is for the Chinese member(s))

Galactic Turtle

ok I stopped paying attention to them really like 2 years ago tbh. I didnt even know YX has been having THIS much activity in China. but honestly I never really watched much of their stuff either. I was only in it for the China line so once they basically all left I stopped following.

I get the concern about being "one unit" but when SM ruined what they had (half for strictly Korean versions, half for Chinese) I really dont think there's a point to even worrying about him (and EXO isnt the only group where they didnt hold together). being a group doesn't really have a meaning anymore considering most of their major groups have been so fickle with the membership.

but it seems that YX doesnt promote with the group enough that giving him way more portions in (Chinese versions of) songs would matter (thinking in terms of health/exhaustion). and when they DO promote their title tracks/songs, it's always the Korean versions (for good reason) in which YX wouldnt really have major parts anyway (since that would be for the Korean members, as the Chinese is for the Chinese member(s))

Lol! That's why it will be interesting to see if SM can pull off their planned concept with NCT (it's basically AKB48 but Korean boyband version). It's still pretty rare for a K-pop group lineup to change which is why it's such big news when it does happen although right now you have a lot of groups hitting that 5-7 year mark where it's natural for a person or two to maybe change what they're doing. I'm a Cassiopeia so of course the situation with DBSK was pretty unique but it has been interesting watching the fandom evolve over the years. I'm happy it's nowhere near as hostile as it used to be. ^_^

In terms of having Korean/Chinese subunits, it has been the precedent that the Chinese subunit will spend most of their time in China (which SM failed to do with EXO) and the Korean group will take care of the rest of the planet. Because of this, whichever unit is the most active in Korea will kind of automatically get that international attention (on top of the natural reach that K-pop has over C-pop). That's why I think it will be interesting watching NCT develop since their Korean unit is supposed to be confined to Korea/Japan only with a whole bunch of other units active in Southeast Asia and even one (apparently) will be dedicated fully to having activities in South America. Having rotating membership with all of these units is pretty counter to the general K-pop mindset... I think... since fans love to get attached to certain members. If they keep changing like AKB48 and a member of a Korean unit moved to like... the Thailand NCT for three years, it will be amusing to see how their fans react. Also since NCT is a renewable boyband (because they will be constantly getting new members) I wonder what impact this will have on SM's usual debut schedule. It's usually one new group every two years alternating between boys and girls but now NCT will supposedly last forever with the average age of their group constantly staying the same.

Yixing's parts in Korean songs is about average. It's only more than average in the Chinese versions. :P Granted since he's not around that much anymore, Suho has been taking most of his lines since Yixing doubles as a main dancer and a subvocal.

Ahhhh noooo I'm typing too much. Sorry. I'm a K-pop freak. T__T

ChillaKilla

Yooo so how about that NEW BTS ALBUM GUYS

Lol! That's why it will be interesting to see if SM can pull off their planned concept with NCT (it's basically AKB48 but Korean boyband version). It's still pretty rare for a K-pop group lineup to change which is why it's such big news when it does happen although right now you have a lot of groups hitting that 5-7 year mark where it's natural for a person or two to maybe change what they're doing. I'm a Cassiopeia so of course the situation with DBSK was pretty unique but it has been interesting watching the fandom evolve over the years. I'm happy it's nowhere near as hostile as it used to be. ^_^

In terms of having Korean/Chinese subunits, it has been the precedent that the Chinese subunit will spend most of their time in China (which SM failed to do with EXO) and the Korean group will take care of the rest of the planet. Because of this, whichever unit is the most active in Korea will kind of automatically get that international attention (on top of the natural reach that K-pop has over C-pop). That's why I think it will be interesting watching NCT develop since their Korean unit is supposed to be confined to Korea/Japan only with a whole bunch of other units active in Southeast Asia and even one (apparently) will be dedicated fully to having activities in South America. Having rotating membership with all of these units is pretty counter to the general K-pop mindset... I think... since fans love to get attached to certain members. If they keep changing like AKB48 and a member of a Korean unit moved to like... the Thailand NCT for three years, it will be amusing to see how their fans react. Also since NCT is a renewable boyband (because they will be constantly getting new members) I wonder what impact this will have on SM's usual debut schedule. It's usually one new group every two years alternating between boys and girls but now NCT will supposedly last forever with the average age of their group constantly staying the same.

Yixing's parts in Korean songs is about average. It's only more than average in the Chinese versions. :P Granted since he's not around that much anymore, Suho has been taking most of his lines since Yixing doubles as a main dancer and a subvocal.

Ahhhh noooo I'm typing too much. Sorry. I'm a K-pop freak. T__T

I swear I read somewhere before that they originally intended for Super Junior to have the new member thing but scrapped it. honestly I think NCT will turn out the same because I think that concept is a little too uncertain by nature. I really dont mind because I'll just be here for the good songs

ChillaKilla

I don't really feel like stanning NCT to be honest. It feels like there's a new group every week and I just wanna stay loyal to my favs. Plus I'm not a fan of Taeyong and he's the only one who gets attention. I'd take BAP first any day... Bang Yongguk would never let the fans down :'^)

Galactic Turtle

I don't really feel like stanning NCT to be honest. It feels like there's a new group every week and I just wanna stay loyal to my favs. Plus I'm not a fan of Taeyong and he's the only one who gets attention. I'd take BAP first any day... Bang Yongguk would never let the fans down :'^)

Lol! Taeyong definitely has me wary but after the emotional trip that was the JYJ/SM lawsuit, the rest of K-pop looks like a playground so I look on in amusement. All of my children~~~ :P

At this point I'm just waiting around for TVXQ/JYJ to get back from the army.... and wondering how much Junsu will keep delaying his enlistment. :blink:

BAP is pretty cool too! Their debut was a great thing to break up the endless releases of EXO teasers and "Warrior" destroyed my mind. I've seen them in concert twice but skipped out on the last one because I wasn't a fan of their most recent promotional track. :( Zelo needs to stop growing...

Archived