Life begins .....

MEB

Having spent all my adult life feeling there was something wrong with me I finally found out about being asexual. I'd never heard of it before and being married for 28 years, at least half of which were sexless, I finally found the reason why sex never really appealed to me much after years of soul searching and visits to the doctor/counselling etc.

I have always been romantically attracted to women and enjoy kissing and cuddling but the thought of sex really does nothing for me. My marriage has now ended as my wife finally gave up hope of me ever being "cured" (although we are still friends) and I am embarking on a new life alone at 52, but I finally feel I'm getting comfortable in my own body.

If anyone out there has any advice for a "newbie" it would be appreciated.

Welcome, MEB! :cake::cake::cake::cake::cake: Many of us have been in the same boat--feeling broken, having a failed marriage, lots of questioning and soul searching, etc. I'm glad you and your wife will remain friends, and that you now feel comfortable in your body. I don't have any great advice as this is new to me too (as I "discovered" my asexuality only about 6 months ago) but there are many in this forum to talk to. Glad to have you here!

Qutenkuddly

Welcome, MEB! Please enjoy some :cake: !

Crazygoatwoman

Welcome MEB. I too lived my whole life feeling like I was broken. I have been married twice and have a grown daughter. I had the same problems with sex in both marriages.

I am a newbie myself. I just found out about asexuality a couple of months ago. I could not believe I have lived my whole life feeling like something was wrong with me. I am unfortunately in a sexual relationship. The day I learned about asexuality it was like a switch was flipped. I didn't want to "compromise" ever again. So of course we are having problems that I know we will not be able to work out. I actually look forward to the day I can live my life and not ever have to worry about sex or getting cheated on ever again.

Don't be Discouraged about being alone and starting over. I feel like there are a lot more people out there like us than we know. It is just now getting out there.

Welcome!!

Welcome, MEB! Us "late bloomers" have a great time here! ;) :cake:

MEB welcome to AVEN and have our traditional 🎂 🎂 greeting

Welcome, MEB! There are a bunch of us late bloomers as Tja says! It took me 2 marriages (one to a man and one to a woman) and 2 kids to figure out what I was. What an eye opener that I wasn't the only one who had no interest in sex, lol. And, being alone is different from being lonely. I found that out after my first divorce, and I am re-discovering it now after my second.

Welcome and :cake:

My only advice is to be yourself - of course, it helps to know who you are and you've made some progress in that by coming here. Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Skycaptain

Mmsunflowermm welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂

Autumn Sunrise

Welcome, MEB and mmSunflowermm :cake::cake::cake: You'll find lots of opportunities here to share experiences and just make some new friends :D

Qutenkuddly

Welcome, mmSunflowermm! Please enjoy some :cake:!

Not advice, but hearty welcome to the rest of your life.

Like you and may others, I thought there was something wrong with me, because I couldn't "FEEL" like other people.

When I found AVEN my world changed. For the first time in my life, I didn't feel alone. I didn't feel like a FREAK.

So welcome to your new life. Now you know that you are not alone. You now know you are not a freak of nature.

You don't need counseling or medication or anything else to "cure" you.

You are the person God created you to be.

Rejoice in your new found freedom to be yourself.

Leave the self condemnation and doubt at the door.l

You are perfect just the way you are.

• 2 weeks later...
DragonflytotheMoon

Hello & welcome, MEB. I'm 47 & coming to a better understanding of myself. There's things I've known about myself for a long time. Such as, needing strong intellectual & emotional connections. Hope that you enjoy your time, learn more about yourself & make many new friends here.

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for your kind comments. I'm enjoying finding out about the real me :)

Welcome! You are in good company here.

Archived