Being naked infront of others

starry-night-sky

On 4/26/2016 at 1:53 PM, starry-night-sky said:

This question might seem weird, I'm sorry. I personally don't have any problems to be naked infront of others and don't see anything shameful about being naked or half-naked. Of course I don't walk around naked all day but I have absolutely no problem with changing clothes infront of friends, my mom walking in when I take a shower and stuff like that. Other people seem to see that differently. Don't get me wrong, it's okay that they feel the way they feel but I wonder if that's because they're sexual and see being naked as something sexual and therefor it's something they only want to share with a partner. I hope this thread doesn't sound creepy or anything but do you think that there's a difference between sexual and asexual people?

I think it's cultural, and also depends on the situation. For example; I take figure drawing classes with what I presume are a multitude of sexual people. I can't speak for anyone else there, but I've never gotten the vibe that the situation is "sexy" or provocative in any way. (It's more stressful. People agonize over getting shapes and shadows right. I can't confirm this but I doubt sexy times are on anyone's mind.)

For me personally; usually this issue comes up with roommates or shared bathing spaces. In those cases I like to discuss what everyone is comfortable doing and/or seeing before making assumptions. 

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

I hate being naked and never been naked in front of anyone. I never am naked unless I'm showering. I always am dressed too. I never walk around in my own place in pjs. I'm always in clothing during the day even if I'm home all day.

Depends on the context. If I'm with others who are naked in a place where it's to be expected, such as public showers in a gym, or remote hot springs where people often bathe au naturel, I don't mind it.  Skinny dipping in back-country lakes is kind of fun.

Being the only naked person in a crowd weirds me out. Had to do that once while on a job in Alaska; I stupidly dropped some storage bins which tumbled down a steep slope into a river. I had no change of clothes with me, so had to strip down in front of a field crew and go after them. Naturally, this was highly entertaining for everyone!

My main "when I'm rich some day" day dream is to belong to a gym that has CHANGING ROOMS so I never have to be naked in front of anyone or see anyone naked again.

I don't like thinking people are looking at my body and judging me, so clothes on please always forever!

I don't care about being nude or semi-nude in front of women or gay men. Like OP, I'm not going to walk around naked all day either or shake my boobs in people's faces but I don't have personal hang-ups about nudity. The only hetero men I feel comfortable being nude in front of are online. I was a camgirl for 2 years (2007-09) and was doing a lot more than being just being naked.

I wouldn't go to a nude beach not because of the nudity, I just don't like beaches in general. 

Ace ♠ At ♠ Archery

I don't mind being in my underwear in front of other girls like in changing rooms for example, as long as my private areas are covered. :redface:

15 hours ago, coyote55 said:

Depends on the context. If I'm with others who are naked in a place where it's to be expected, such as public showers in a gym, or remote hot springs where people often bathe au naturel, I don't mind it.  Skinny dipping in back-country lakes is kind of fun.

Being the only naked person in a crowd weirds me out. Had to do that once while on a job in Alaska; I stupidly dropped some storage bins which tumbled down a steep slope into a river. I had no change of clothes with me, so had to strip down in front of a field crew and go after them. Naturally, this was highly entertaining for everyone!

While I have no problem being naked in front of my "nudist" friend (a childhood friend as well), I don't think I could go au naturel in front of any other friends. I never played on any sports teams, so I was never involved in any communal showers so to speak. 

When I'm at the nude beach, I don't know anyone there and they don't know me either.

With me being an artist, the human body has it's highs.  I've never been awkward about nudity, I welcome it but I wouldn't flaunt it or want anyone to flaunt it around me.  Granted, men can get away with showing their bare torso; I still find it as indecent exposure & would like to avoid it.  Yet, in a locker room; I don't mind it.  I wear tank tops if I'm not submerged in water or in a water fight.  Water Balloon Wars & Squirt Guns For Life!  But sometimes I question all this sex sells stuff in entertainment; I can watch a lot of shows & question; why doesn't he have a shirt on, where are her clothes, I like her ankles but the camera should be upwards...  :|  Speaking of that, I need to go watch the latest episodes of Riverdale before it's too late again.

I don't know if it was body image at first or if my prudish parents made me so ashamed of my body. But I would probably die if it was to get naked in front of others of face a firing squad. 

NoLongerActive1234

I dislike it a lot with strangers, it makes me feel so uncomfortable. It's fine to me if it is my immediate family or someone I am really close to though. When it is just me I feel neutral about it most of the time. 
It frustrates me a lot that they have it like this in changing rooms. When I go swim you are expected to shower and sauna naked. Because of hygiene reasons one is supposed to not shower with the bathing suit on which is a bit silly to me so I just shower at home right before I go. 
It makes sense that some people don't care but it wouldn't be so hard to make some of the showers more private. Historically what I heard is the reason they always built it open like that is apparently to prevent any possible inappropriate behavior with men sneaking into the women's changing room or lesbian sexy time in the showers. I find that rather unlikely to happen tbh. Besides if anyone wanted to have sexy time they could do so in the bathrooms in the changing room as they are private. So unless they'd want to have toilet activities all public too then why not have private showers lol.

NerotheReaper

I hate it, I feel awkward being naked in front of my cat. The idea alone grosses me out, even for medical reasons I get twitchy and want to jump out a window. 

I have no problem thinking of myself being nude. Removing clothing for medical examinations never bothered me. As a kid I was self-conscious about my penis in dressing rooms, but my doctor told me it's perfectly normal and just looks unusual, so I'm fine with that too.

PurveyorOfBadPuns

I love being naked and it took me a long time to realize others didn't.  My view is that everybody has a body so nothing should be too shocking.

21 hours ago, coyote55 said:

remote hot springs where people often bathe au naturel, I don't mind it.  Skinny dipping in back-country lakes is kind of fun.

1 hour ago, PurveyorOfBadPuns said:

I love being naked

Sounds like me! :D

Is it bad being on both sides of the fence?  I have a nudist friend who invited me to naked yoga & I plan on going tomorrow; but normally I would be against that if a friend wasn't the one inviting me.

15 minutes ago, terrance_barnes said:

Is it bad being on both sides of the fence?  I have a nudist friend who invited me to naked yoga & I plan on going tomorrow; but normally I would be against that if a friend wasn't the one inviting me.

You know the old saying, "Try it, you might like it." I guess naked yoga would be similar to going to a nude beach.

Before I had forgot my swimsuit during that 'fateful' camping trip, I had gotten naked for a few minutes each morning during our camping trips, but I was alone. My 'soon to be' nudist friend was off on his morning fishing excursion while I had a quick dip to clean up. The trip I forgot the suit, I enjoyed just hanging out on our little beach watching the cloudes go by and chatting with my friend.

9 minutes ago, will123 said:

You know the old saying, "Try it, you might like it." I guess naked yoga would be similar to going to a nude beach.

Before I had forgot my swimsuit during that 'fateful' camping trip, I had gotten naked for a few minutes each morning during our camping trips, but I was alone. My 'soon to be' nudist friend was off on his morning fishing excursion while I had a quick dip to clean up. The trip I forgot the suit, I enjoyed just hanging out on our little beach watching the cloudes go by and chatting with my friend.

Sounds good to me; I doubt I'll go to a nude beach any time soon, but I'm not a stickler for sexual attention.  It already hurts to verbally talk, it hurts doubly to have to fend off someone who's into me.  lol I just hope there's not too many people there tomorrow.

17 minutes ago, terrance_barnes said:

Sounds good to me; I doubt I'll go to a nude beach any time soon, but I'm not a stickler for sexual attention.  It already hurts to verbally talk, it hurts doubly to have to fend off someone who's into me.  lol I just hope there's not too many people there tomorrow.

I don't think that's a worry. I've been going to the beach for several years now. The first time I went, I thought someone was acting a bit strange towards me. Nothing was said, so it may have just been a newbie reaction. No other issues since that day.

Talking to a regular nude visitor there last season and he was filling me in on a beachgoer that was sitting near me. Apparently my 'neighbour' had made a nuisance of himself in the past by trying to chat up some of the female visitors.

2 minutes ago, will123 said:

I don't think that's a worry. I've been going to the beach for several years now. The first time I went, I thought someone was acting a bit strange towards me. Nothing was said, so it may have just been a newbie reaction. No other issues since that day.

Talking to a regular nude visitor there last season and he was filling me in on a beachgoer that was sitting near me. Apparently my 'neighbour' had made a nuisance of himself in the past by trying to chat up some of the female visitors.

It's hard not to deal with strangers, but I'll take that as a good luck.  lol

On 2/24/2017 at 10:02 PM, PurveyorOfBadPuns said:

I love being naked and it took me a long time to realize others didn't.  My view is that everybody has a body so nothing should be too shocking.

@PurveyorOfBadPuns If you haven't read my thread on nudity, here's the link:

I have absolutely no problem with it. I walk around naked in my house often. And I have no issue changing in front of other women. I've learned to ask if they're comfortable with it first though after scandalizing someone. 😬

The naked body isn't sexual to me. As an art major, I've had to draw a lot of artistic nudes. They're just bodies lol.

LittleGoody2Shoes

I think all humans look awful unless they're fully clothed and I hate being nude.

WobblyWallaby

This is just a giant nope. I can be completely alone in a room with no windows and still cover up. Bathing suits make me sooo uncomfortable... I just cannot comprehend being nude in front of anyone. It's not shame of my body... it's more...it's mine and i don't want to share.

I don't even like seeing myself naked. I grew up in a family that was open about it, too. Saying things like: "We're family. It's no big deal if we see each other naked." I don't know exactly what it is, but I think I have issues with being naked. I always dress as quickly as I can, so I don't see too much of my body. While in locker rooms, I avert my eyes as much as possible, and try to change while showing the least amount. I know I've looked funny. Sometimes, back when I took swimming lessons, I refused to take off my swimsuit and change until I got home. Opposite of most people. Sometimes, in high school, I would change in the one closed stall they had next to the shower. Oh, and I never used that shower. It feels slightly different when I shower (at home), because I'm more worried about getting clean and checking if things are healthy. It's like a disconnect, though. I feel weird when I see others naked, too. I think partially my problem is I've been sexually abused. Although, I've always been this way. Maybe it got worse after that abuse. I don't think it has anything to do with me being ace. It might also be because I think I look bad sometimes, I don't know. I think it's awesome that others are so comfortable with their bodies.

The Terrible Travis

I can not think of a single situation in which I'd be comfortable with being naked in front of others.

dragon_nerd

Depends on the situation. If its in front of people who may sexualise me then I would be uncomftable (e.g. changing for PE, so glad I don't do PE any more). If say, my Mum walked in on me getting changed or something I wouldn't be bothered at all. Has it got anything to do with my asexuality? Dunno, sex aversion maybe and the culture that I grew up in being very prude and conservative (although my parents are moderately open).

Ummm... no thanks.  I got totally brazen about showing my boobs off though as I progressed through treatment for early stage breast cancer.  I have to say medical professionals are very professional though.

I agree. There's certain areas of me which have only been seen by medical professionals, and I hated having to do that, but it was necessary. 

Archived