Being naked infront of others

starry-night-sky

starry-night-sky

This question might seem weird, I'm sorry. I personally don't have any problems to be naked infront of others and don't see anything shameful about being naked or half-naked. Of course I don't walk around naked all day but I have absolutely no problem with changing clothes infront of friends, my mom walking in when I take a shower and stuff like that. Other people seem to see that differently. Don't get me wrong, it's okay that they feel the way they feel but I wonder if that's because they're sexual and see being naked as something sexual and therefor it's something they only want to share with a partner. I hope this thread doesn't sound creepy or anything but do you think that there's a difference between sexual and asexual people?

From my point of view, I hate being naked because I have certain body issues if referred to elsewhere.

Some people celebrate the naked human form, especially artists, and good for them.

I'm uncomfortable seeing others nude, because some inspire a form of jealousy, in that puberty worked for them where it didn't for me, and other's it has been " I should be attracted to them but I'm not "

So yes, being uncomfortable in close proximity to nude females could be due to asexuality

Once I hit my 20s, I started to see the body as less and less "sexual". I never understood the need to sexualize it. I'm also an artist so I also see artistic nudity as something not to be shamed.

Lord Jade Cross

I dont think being embarrased about being naked in front of others has to do with being ace or sexual. Its more of the mentality imparted onto many of us that anything thay is sexual in nature is shameful and therefore must be hidden away, only exception ever being that a life partner gets to see (and doctors if neccesary but thats a whole other issue).

Some people have a big problem with humans being naked and others dont. It all really depends on who you ask. Personally I dont like my body myself so I dont even like looking at it with no clothes on, so Im even more relunctant to have anyone else see it and the same in reverse. I dont want to be seeing people naked. Its uncomfortable to say the least.

For me, it's not related to my asexuality. It's more having been raised by prudish parents (who were themselves raised by prudish, and so on). Also, as a woman, it's been drilled into me through Media messages that if I don't fit their standards of beauty, I should be ashamed of my body. And I don't fit their standards, so...

But I'm working on it. I no longer care when I have to be nude for a medical doctor or medical tests. They see enough naked people that they're aware we come in all shapes and sizes. And if they don't like what they see, they can bite me because I'm the paying customer.

As for friends, sorry can't dress/undress in front of them, I've too much of a mental block on that one. I can't even do it in the women's locker room where I see plenty of others who seem to do it without a care.

If the person is somebody I know well and I am comfortable around I don't mind being naked in front of them. I think it would be less of a problem for me if our society didn't had those ridiculous beauty standards.

I've been in theater my entire life. I don't think it deals with orientation, rather personal upbringing (modesty vs shameful, how nudity is viewed, how sex is viewed, etc). You learn with theater that eventually you're either going to accidentally walk in on someone nude, or someone will walk in on you while changing.

Art of Matt Eldritch

My fear of being naked in front of others is something I'm going to have to work through if I follow up on my interests in naturism and go to nude beaches and clubs. The problem is that I was raised in a very prudish household so I still sometimes see sex in nudity (and get aroused accordingly) but that's diminishing over the years.

Galactic Turtle

I don't even like to look at myself when I'm naked. XD

My issues with nakedness really were only a problem because I played so many sports growing up. Luckily, most of the time I could change inside a bathroom stall instead of the general locker room area. Changing outdoors really only consisted of changing shirts and I'd just duck behind a bench and change really quickly. Nevertheless, being seen in the open with only a sports bra covering my top half became less overwhelming as I got older. This could be because college lacrosse tired me out so much I didn't have the energy to worry about it much. :P

In terms of being completely naked in front of other people? That's a complete no. I never want that to happen.

If people around me seem uncomfortable with seeing me naked, I feel uncomfortable changing in front of them. If they don't, I don't care as much.

Anthracite_Impreza

Quite honestly I'm not that fussed apart from the 'private' areas; apart from the shock factor I'm not even bothered by boobs (we see male chests naked so why not female?). I am however personally dysphoric and would always make an effort to cover my 'bits' up. I wouldn't feel comfortable in public bare though.

Attending figure drawing classes might also help alleviate this fear. You're drawing the figure (depending on the class, the model will be: clothed, partially clothed, skin tight clothes, partial nude, or totally nude, you can ask the teacher ahead of time), so you're learning the natural movement of the body and effectively becoming more comfortable with how the body looks/works. If you can't do this, take time to learn about human anatomy and physiology. I'm not saying learn it down to the molecular level, but learn it enough so you think you could do well at a trivia game about it. This is a similar approach to the figure drawing class, but is more of a scientific point of view on it.

I don't want to be naked in front of others, 'cause I can't be bothered to shave, and I don't like the feeling that others perceive me as gross :wacko:

Not a huge fan. Even in front of my ex. Although I feel an attitude change that I will not be shy in front of my next partner (if I find one).

I did, however go to a nude beach in Hawaii (twice) and it was ok.

I really don't like being naked, even when I'm alone (and never am, except under the shower... getting dressed into undies right after toweling down, again).

I really do not want to be naked in the presence of anyone else, and I'll only make an exception for doctors and medical staff when it's neccessary. I won't take my pants down for a partner... I'm okay with going topless with them, but no more than that.

There was a lot of nudity in our family - like, walking in on others showering or on the loo. I always hated that, too, and started locking the door sometime in puberty (which my parents and my sis gave me quite a lot of flak for).

I generally don't like being naked (as far a the physical feeling is concerned), even when it's just me, myself & I. Having said that, it doesn't bother me in the least being naked in the presence of others as long as there is a reason for me being naked i.e. while in a sauna or with medical professionals; or with a partner.

I don't care who sees me naked as long as it is a conscious decision I made and not like someone walking in on me while I am in the shower, or changing clothes. I have yet to do it because I don't trust anyone not to laugh at my body, especially parts I can't control. Plus there just hasn't been an opportune time for me to get naked in front of someone, and I also don't know if and/or when someone would want to, or even agree to seeing me naked if I brought it up.

My parts I don't want people to make fun of me are namely the size of my penis, and my surgery scar that runs down my lower back to the top of my butt.

Sorry if that made no sense.

I don't care much. I get undressed when it's necessary.

There's no problem for me to do so in front of people that I'm close to (though I'd never force anything on them); it's really just a sign of comfort. A huge one, though, if I'm on the "receiving" end. I'm not beautiful no matter how much you stretch this term and I don't "like" my appearance, but I don't hate it either. It's the way it is, I can't help it, that's how I look, that's the way I was born and it'll be the way I die. There's nothing to be seen that couldn't be seen elsewhere.

damage_case

This question might seem weird, I'm sorry. I personally don't have any problems to be naked infront of others and don't see anything shameful about being naked or half-naked. Of course I don't walk around naked all day but I have absolutely no problem with changing clothes infront of friends, my mom walking in when I take a shower and stuff like that. Other people seem to see that differently. Don't get me wrong, it's okay that they feel the way they feel but I wonder if that's because they're sexual and see being naked as something sexual and therefor it's something they only want to share with a partner. I hope this thread doesn't sound creepy or anything but do you think that there's a difference between sexual and asexual people?

It has more to do with the environment they grew up in, the culture etc. than sex. Most people are born in a home where getting naked or being seen naked is a huge deal. If you see someone in your family naked accidentally, its a whoa whoa whoa!!! what the F moment.

Other than that I have personally never come across a moment where I had to get naked in front of anybody. And if I had to... then Id obviously have a problem with it... but not coz of asexuality... its just how I am as a person and the environment I grew up in.

starry-night-sky

Thank you for your experiences and opinions! :)

It's probably because of the environment you grew up in. In my family seeing each other naked was never a big deal and something completely normal, that's probably why I don't have a real problem with it. Though I wouldn't want to get undressed WITH someone, not in a way that someone gets changed and I get changed in the same room, but in a sexual way.

Velvet Cheesecake

For me, the more I come to like my body, the more I don't care if I am naked... so I did have some hard time changing clothes in bathrooms insted of locker rooms in high school, or until I made my brother learn to knock on the door before entering the room... but now I think I am better, strangely I didn't care when my ex saw me naked.

It has more to do with the environment they grew up in, the culture etc. than sex. Most people are born in a home where getting naked or being seen naked is a huge deal. If you see someone in your family naked accidentally, its a whoa whoa whoa!!! what the F

True except in my house growing up. It was exactly the same as yours, except one child (me) prefers not to be seen, while the other child (my brother) would be naked 24/7 if he could get away with it. Weird, eh?
damage_case

It has more to do with the environment they grew up in, the culture etc. than sex. Most people are born in a home where getting naked or being seen naked is a huge deal. If you see someone in your family naked accidentally, its a whoa whoa whoa!!! what the F

True except in my house growing up. It was exactly the same as yours, except one child (me) prefers not to be seen, while the other child (my brother) would be naked 24/7 if he could get away with it. Weird, eh?

Yeah but im sure it was when he was a kid. It would be very incestuously weird in my house if it was that way. But then again there are homes where parents discuss sex with their kids openly... or there are even nudists who have no problem roaming around nude around nude people with their nude kids.

The Not So Impossible Girl

Hhhmmmm... I honestly never was able to pinpoint a reason as to why I'm uncomfortable being naked around friends or people I know. I like looking at myself in my underwear and stuff. And if a doctor tells me to take my clothes off for an exam that I agreed to, I'm like "yup no problemo sir/ma'am /doctor person!".

So I have reason to believe it doesn't stem from body image issues. It could be because I am prudish and I just like having my privacy. I'm very "noooo" about being naked with people who don't want to see me naked... or want to see me naked too much... I dunno. It's weird. I'm just used to not being naked around people, so I would like like to continue that trend.

Yeah but im sure it was when he was a kid. It would be very incestuously weird in my house if it was that way. But then again there are homes where parents discuss sex with their kids openly... or there are even nudists who have no problem roaming around nude around nude people with their nude kids.

Oh no we never spoke about it. My dad would tell dirty jokes in front of us (not to us though or even mom)

I generally don't like being naked, but that's not related to my asexuality. When I was younger I thought the reason I wasn't pursuing sex was because of body image. I have size insecurities and a lot of scarring all over concealed areas.

But the times I've been able to work my way past those insecurities, based on my level of trust in the person I'm with, I didn't have any anxiety or panic attack. Looking back at those moments I should've figured out that it didn't have to do with how I viewed myself, and that I wasn't avoiding guaranteed rejection since the people I've undressed for have not cared about that.

I'm not eager to get naked at the doctor's office or massage therapist, but I don't get too uncomfortable. That was another sign that my lack of desire to pursue sex wasn't about insecurity. I'm definitely more comfortable in clothing, both physically and mentally, but I think that's because I feel warm and secure like I'm a baby bound in a blanket.

Honestly I very rarely shave. I hate it, and I'm prone to ingrown hairs, even if I don't shave. I live in a very warm climate and wear shorts and I've never had an issue with someone giving me lip.

I feel very uncomfortable being naked infront of others but i dont have a problem with it when im under the shower. I dont like seeing naked people or feel very comfortable being with naked people.I dont really mind being naked in the doctor's office if its for a medical procedure but i rather not do it if i dont have to.

sir octepus tea

I'm pretty much a nevernude, being naked makes me feel gross. even for medical reasons, I consider it degrading in a way. with other people it's not that much of an issue as long as I don't see anything... private. this doesn't bother me much, but when ppl insist on how "Good" it feels to be nekkid and that I should do it... it just makes me uncomfortable. if it was possible, I'd even cover my own face in public. all these things have more to do with being a very private person than asexuality, but my aceness probably has a little influence on it.

MaxCaulfield

I'd rather not - but not to the extent of avoiding something I otherwise wanted to do. It wasn't the changing room nudity that stopped me going to the gym, it was the bone idleness.

Archived