Do Asexual People See Beauty Differently?

I personally see other people, both male and female, as aesthetically pleasing but not "sexy" or attractive.  If I see someone naked, I don't see the sexual appeal but instead I see the beauty in the order, design, symmetry, and uniqueness of them and their body.

I definitely see some people as more beautiful than others, even tho I'm aware that it's my subjective view. Some just please my eye (or "aesthetic sensibilities") more, it's that simple. But it seems that my taste in beauty differs from the average, because I definitely relate to your experience of seeing nothing special about supposedly oh so beautiful celebrities. To me, the "basic beauties" of hollywood appear mostly plain.

I can usually tell if someone is aesthetically good looking, but 'hot' or 'sexy', usually not so much. I like natural beauty the most, so celebs with plastic surgery done, or masses of make up don't really appeal to me. I can't explain why I find some people prettier than others, I guess I just do. The prettiest people of all are those that are friendly and kind too.

notathoughtgiven
On 24/04/2016 at 4:02 AM, Zargos said:

How do you distinguish "good-looking" people from "non good-looking" people? What do you define "beauty" as?

What brings pleasure to my mind when I see them and what doesn't.  Pleasure not necessarily being sexual attraction.  Just that I like looking at them.

Isn't everyone beautiful in their own way?

Yes they are.  But doesn't mean I find them visually attractive.  They might be beautiful in other ways that has nothing to do with looks.  Actually that is the beauty that means more to me than how visually appealing they are to me.

Who are you to judge their "beauty" or lack of when it is so subjective?

Just like opinions.  To me someone is beautiful in a visually appealing way and some are not.  That is my opinion and is right for me.  Doesn't mean it is right for someone else to feel the same way.  We are individuals and have our own tastes so it would be natural that there would be disagreement over who is beautiful or not. 

Do you see people as pretty or ugly?

Very much so.  But doesn't mean that it has any influence over how I think of them as a person.

if my view on beauty is really just weird.

If you are being honest, then its not weird.  Just who you are as a person and its normal.  But the problem is trying to put your ideas about beauty onto other people and judging them that way.  You have your way about beauty and I have mine that is normal and fine.

I find I am drawn to a person's personality and features such as kindness, or quirkiness. Then, after that point, I sometimes find that suddenly their physical features have a sweet look to them that I might have not 'seen' before.... So if someone shows me a photo of a person and I haven't seen a film or don't know the character etc., I can possibly say, ''oh, he has nice shiny hair. Healthy roots!'' or ''his eyes and ears look symmetrical and in fair proportion to the rest of his frame'' etc. - but this in and of itself doesn't mean the person draws me in. I am drawn in by a sweet, kind personality - especially if that person is unique and not afraid to hide what makes them different - and then I feel like I become fond of certain physical 'markers' but only on characters I have come to love or appreciate, or people I know in real life who I care about.

I've always felt attracted to slightly androgynous people...''

I find that I think guys come across as sweeter if they are more androgynous in look, style or demeanor. I tend to find that androgyny in general is something that fascinates me, because it seems to be more of a pure personality shining through (in my mind, at least)....less gender norms and 'teachings' on how someone 'should' act that might not be in accordance with their inner values or natural interests. So, for me, I tend to like male characters that are generally seen as gentle, kind to animals and 'softer' than typical, say, superheroes, and I often prefer females that have a bit more grit and resolve and aren't played as being helpless. I often feel that those who come across as more androgynous have a fairer blending of natural traits that are healthy in expression - gentleness, but the ability to stick up for oneself etc. It's odd that at the most extreme stereotypes of masculinity we have 'brutality' or physical force being shown as an expression of 'manliness' and for females, they often get portrayed as ineffective or silly. Don't know if I have explained it well, but I find that a lot of androgynous characters in films and books seem more genuine to me, frequently.