Would you have an online relationship?

Anime Pancake

Purnkin Spurce

Yes I would. I kinda sorta have something going on right now. Not gonna label it, but I'd be open to online relationship as long as we plan to meet each other eventually. lol

BookTVLover

I could be in an online relationship provided that we meet regularly and stay in contact daily.

Still sad I got 'dumped' by mine. :( I say dumped but we weren't much of an item, we had been talking for a couple of months and there was romantic potential (we complimented each other and wanted to meet) but it fizzled out towards the end from her side and I knew it was 'over'.

How do you even define one? I talked to a girl nearly every night or every other night for a good few months, but although we were close, and she got a bit jealous whenever I mentioned anyone else, we were never in an agreed 'relationship'. I also had an LDR with a girl where we said "I love you" back and forth, but very little else lol, she even wanted to marry me though we probably exchanged only about a couple of thousand words of meaningful text lol.

Truth and Lies

Well, personally I'm not really interested in having a typical relationship... But I value my online friends just as much as I value my rl friends (btw: I never really liked that term "rl friends" but it just seems like the easiest one to use). I realize that many put on a face, so to say, when they're online, but we have different masks for everyone; for example, most people will act one way in front of their parents and another way in front of friends. And talking and getting to know someone online has a new set of challenges as well. Some say you can't properly communicate online but I say there are ways around those barriers. There are subtle hints you can (literally) read, and in a way I feel it can make you just as close as if you were face to face. It can take more dedication and understanding to bond with someone online because of all this.

That being said: I felt just as uneasy at the thought of an online relationship as I did toward an offline relationship. >_>

I scrapped the term "real life friends" years ago, because it felt like it was putting my friends into some sort of hierarchy based upon whether or not I could have physical contact with them. Nowadays, I just say "online" and "offline" friends. Simple, understood, and I don't feel that same divide. But that's just me.

I've made some very important connections with online friends, I feel, so I wouldn't mind being in an online relationship (queerplatonic, romantic, what have you), and being able to physically touch a partner is not a dealbreaker for me, so it could work out. I would want to meet them eventually to see if the connection would be the same offline as it is online, though. As it is, I don't think this is of much importance to me because relationships, what are?

Cats.

starry-night-sky

I wouldn't want a relationship that only happens online though I wouldn't mind meeting someone online and then having a long-distance relationship. For me it would be necessary to talk to the person from face to face, be able to hug them etc. at least from time to time.

I think you'd be mistaken to believe that when you know someone IRL, you necessarily know the "real" person better than otherwise. A lot of the monkey brain instincts aren't part of the person per-se, IMO. Being "yourself" online is easier, as you can rely on abstract thought and rationality and your instincts won't get in the way so much.

I also always find it really easy to distinguish trustworthy people online. I don't know "how", but everyone I've befriended online turned out to be a good friend, and every online partner I ended up meeting turned out to be just as they were portraying themselves.

What I've also learned is that some relationships work IRL, but not online. For instance, the relationship between me and my partner wouldn't work without very frequent real life contact. So in a way, I think when an online relationship works, that means there's a very stable and durable bond between the two people's personalities and interests.

Online relationships can float my boat pretty sufficiently. As others told: I'm not sure if its "me(!)" in them. And I don't necessarily want to know the real other either. But I love to treasure that soap bubble we are sharing.

LDRs? Been there... - Not really a bright idea I guess. - I mean: I am kind of a special snowflake and should be happy to have my home & my job here. Finding others would be most likely too inconvenient and I don't earn the fortunes needed to spend a week per month traveling to see a partner quickly enough...

• 1 month later...

I'm not a big fan of online relationships, but the way I see it, there is really no other way for me and many other fellow asexuals to find a suitable partner. To start with, I would be willing to give it try, but not if there's no hope of ever meeting in person.

UncommonNonsense

I'd be open to an online relationship. In fact, I've had a couple before and really enjoyed them. I am far better in text than I am IRL!

I like the emotional connection and closeness and given my touch aversion and aceness, an online relationship is perfect.

I have FaceTime and Skype, but I have always preferred text-only chat clients... I guess I'm a bit old school as far as online communication goes. Plus, I like being able to chat without having to change out of my comfy, ratty old pjs, and video chats don't give you that option!

AceInhibitor

I have a few online friendships and I really like them, I spend far too much time on social media sites so it's fairly easy. I guess I'd be up for an LDR but nobody's ever asked.

necrocrat

Eh, I doubt I could handle that. I'm way too affectionate to handle not seeing the hypothetical partner in person... I remember how much I've missed an ex right after I left her house. To be separated by gods only know how many miles and confined to an online space? Sounds like hell to me.

The only loophole I'd see in this is if there was a damn good chance that it would translate into an in-person relationship. So I'm going to say no on this one.

damage_case

Would you ask an asexual if they wanted to be in an online relationship with you?

Have you asked someone asexual if they wanted to be in an online relationship with you?

Has anyone asked you to be in an online relationship with them?

If someone was asexual and lived far away from you, and you wanted to be in a relationship with them, would you try an online or long distance relationship with them, or would you wait to date someone that lives closer to you?

Personally I'm fine with online relationships and like them just as much as any other. I think companionship, affection and love can be in an online relationship (the only thing that I can think of would be that time difference may make it difficult)

Over the past couple of years I have asked a few asexual people if they wanted to be in an online relationship with me, but we decided not to.

What about you guys?

1. Would you ask an asexual if they wanted to be in an online relationship with you?

I have had several chats with both sexuals and asexuals... but they were mostly 'sexual' in nature. I did form connections and am still friendly with them... but Im a busy guy... and I needed a release and so did they. So it always ended up with sharing intimate pictures/video/cam etc.

Would I ask? Well... most of the interactions I've had with asexuals were very strange and disrespectful... but if I find someone on the same wavelength and someone who is respectful and loving... sure. But I would still prefer a face 2 face relationship... Im a 28 year old man... and this 'internet' thing is not my life.

2. Have you asked someone asexual if they wanted to be in an online relationship with you?

A 'sexual' relationship... yes. But otherwise... I mostly found women in here who were either young... or were non-libidoists and too anti romance talk... so they would rather talk about Captain America than a relationship.

3. Has anyone asked you to be in an online relationship with them?

Sexual in nature... yes. Otherwise no.

4. If someone was asexual and lived far away from you, and you wanted to be in a relationship with them, would you try an online or long distance relationship with them, or would you wait to date someone that lives closer to you?

I would rather not date at all... I like to stay aloof... but eventually I would want a face to face interaction. I mostly find this online relationship thing to be too 'artificial' or imaginary. Im not a kid.... so this snapchat/skype thingie is way too immature n kiddish for me.

PurpleAce

When does a conversation become a friendship become a relationship become a friendship become a conversation become a "WHO? Oh, yeah."?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I'm on the verge of tears, actually.

You can start a relationship online, it's ok, especially if there's a significant distance.

DragonflytotheMoon

I've had a few. With women anyway. As my & my husband's poly arrangement was for him to have separate relationships with other men & me with women. The reason that most of mine were online is, because, they lived in other states & countries. They were all brief, so, didn't get to the point of actually meeting them. I had been friends with all of them prior to it turning into more.

Since intellectual & emotional connections are far more important to me, it did work. Though, long term, maybe not as well. Affection & romance can only go so far by email, text & phone. I do like to snuggle, hold hands & kiss. As all of these were bi/pan who, eventually, would have wanted something more physical, in a way, I'm glad the relationships didn't last.

If I could find a demi ace, who is ok that sex may never happen, then, I'd also be open to seeing a guy. Penetration is definitely off of the table with anyone. The main factor as to why I'm reluctant to be with another man or fall for a more sexual woman again.

I've had a couple different relationships, both long distance and close. I definitely thrive the most in a long distance relationship, which I am in one now. 4000 miles away, over an ocean and everything. Kinda sucks.

But anyways, he's my best friend, and I love him. We met in person last summer and didn't go directly into a relationship; it was more of a communicative penpal-type friendship, at least for the first few months. Then we realized just how much we really work out and how much we loved talking to one another and about everything, that, after a two week trip together, we decided to call it an online long distance relationship. I'm definitely more of a physical romantic; I love holding hands, hugs, cuddling, etc. And so we are trying to get at least two trips a year until one of us moves closer to the other.

Not only would I (LDRs are all I've ever done, actually), I am in one, and we're committed and engaged. :wub:

Ko + archery

Most of my long-term RL relationships have begun with months-or-years of long emails and snail-mail letters and hanging out virtually in places like Second Life, and voracious texting.

The distrust most people feel towards online folk is how I feel about people RL. I hate small talk, I'm not really a group-hangout type, I don't want to stand in a crowded bar yelling at you over music trying to become friends. I feel closer to people thousands of miles away who take the time to type just to me than I do to the majority of people sitting in the same room. So, I kinda prefer to learn people from the inside out. And of course, if we're miles apart sex isn't an issue. ;)

• 6 months later...
Anime Pancake

Thanks everyone!

I'm posting here to renew the topic again (mods, I think it's been a little over 6 months but please keep the topic open pleaseeeeeeee)

J. van Deijck

I've been in one already. Glad it has ended.

On 3/30/2016 at 0:23 PM, Amedot said:

Only if there was a possibility of one person moving to be with the other... and I wouldn't be the one moving, lol.

I wouldn't mind moving or the other way depending if I know this person and being one-hundred percent sure we're both compatible and have a solid plan on the housing, language, ect. I would likely have to meet this person face to face a few times or any way of us knowing we're not faceless strangers before making any big decisions.

I'm pretty sure I'm aro, but if I wasn't, then sure, I don't really care much about the physicality of relationships anyway. I actually believe there would be more advantages than disadvantages.

The longest distance I ever did was about 120 miles, 2 hours driving time. I could do maybe 3 hours? I don't think I could do an online only thing where we never saw each other, or didn't get to see each other for weeks to months at a time. I need the ability to be to be literally physically close to someone. I know myself too well.

Sunflowerfield

I have a very close online friend, and we normally Skype several times a week. For about six months we Skyped pretty much every day for several hours, as we get along so well and both are quite extroverted. However, I think for a romantic relationship, I would want someone local because physical touch is important to me. It's also crucial for me to see their character and social interactions in a variety of contexts, if I'm going to consider making any serious commitment to them like engagement or marriage.

I have a platonic cuddle buddy because touch is a need of mine. Also, I need to be around people in person fairly often (preferably every day), otherwise I find my health tangibly worsens over time and I can get quite despondent. I like Skyping and chatting online, but for me it can't replace in-person relationships.

16 hours ago, Anime Pancake said:

Thanks everyone!

I'm posting here to renew the topic again (mods, I think it's been a little over 6 months but please keep the topic open pleaseeeeeeee)

Hey, it's your topic so you can keep it open if it's up to me :P

The longest LDR i had was with someone from australia, it didn't last long though because i just noticed we were too different sooo been there and done that!

I wouldn't be able to have a long term relationship online or long distance, but I'm open to starting a relationship with someone I met online.

Archived