Hobbies

sparklingstars

sparklingstars

I feel like I need to find some new hobbies to keep myself busy. I've tried gardening and cooking and disliked both, so those are out. I'm also not good at any type of art, or sewing/knitting/crocheting/etc. I've tried photography but never got very far. The one thing in life that I love is music (I play in a community band) but I would really like to find something new that would help me meet new people and make some new friends. Any ideas?

Find a choir, perhaps? Something physical, like tai chi or a volleyball team? Or maybe check for adult classes at your local college and see if they have anything interesting to learn, like a foreign language.

I gave up crochet due to lack of interest. I bought a glass kiln, but couldn't work it properly. I'd love to learn quilting, but aren't home long enough. That chain-mail jewelry looks interesting.

I do a lot of fiber arts. Spinning, knitting, crochet, quilting, embroidery, needlepoint. But, most of these things are solitary for the most part. I studied Aikido when i was younger and more limber. What about learning a martial art? Or tai chi. Join a gym? (That wouldn't appeal to me, but maybe something you would like.) do you have a dog? Learn agility? Volunteer at a shelter?

Autumn Sunrise

I was also going to suggest joining a choir - or an amateur operatic society if you like that kind of music. It should be possible to find a choir that does the kind of music you enjoy, and it's certainly a good way to meet people.

Do you have a local community college? They usually offer classes in lots of different things, and again, this also provides an opportunity to meet people.

If you're interested in politics you could join the local branch of your preferred party. Or what about some kind of service or environmental organisation?

Hobbies begin with interests, so it is a very individual thing what someone chooses to pursue as a hobby. Since you mentioned an interest in music, would you be interested in tutoring or giving music lessons? How about instrument repair? Maybe collecting your favorite kind of music or musical instrument? On-line music forums, if they exist? Concerts?

Qutenkuddly

Tai Chi is good! Do Tai Chi! (I may be slightly biased.)

I gave up crochet due to lack of interest. I bought a glass kiln, but couldn't work it properly. I'd love to learn quilting, but aren't home long enough. That chain-mail jewelry looks interesting.

I have a Facebook friend who does the chain mail jewelry- it looks really cool!

Well, that didn't work the way I thought it would. I am so clueless on how to post things here. Pictures, links.... Sigh. You'll have to copy and paste. But she has some cool stuff with scale mail as well as chain mail jewelry.

Thank you, Dave! That is what I was trying for, lol!

• 3 weeks later...

I like to write, watercolor paint, draw, do computer stuff (games), take care of my garden, friends and animals. Is there a forum on AVEN for those who like to bake and cook, maybe share recipies?

I like to write, watercolor paint, draw, do computer stuff (games), take care of my garden, friends and animals. Is there a forum on AVEN for those who like to bake and cook, maybe share recipies?

Great idea, GrayAce! You can start one :)

Hobbes∞

I saw this and thought it was a thread dedicated to Hobbes. I realise, this is more my problem than anyone else's.

You could give dance lessons a try! There are so many different kinds of dancing to learn, I think there's bound to be something to suit you. Ballroom for the classy chaps, chappettes and variations on the theme, salsa for the more upbeat sexily bent, samba for a more wild stress-relief style, jazz for the (crap, what are the stereotypes of swing dance?), foreign dance for the culturally intrigued, morris dancing for the utterly insane, breakdancing for you cool young hipsters, ballet for the graceful tasteful spandex fans, aerobic dancing for the 80's nostalgia, line dancing for literally nobody, ribbon dancing for the theatrical Oriental beauty, folk dance for those with a historical passion, whatever kind of dance Channing Tatum learned to do in Step-Up, musical theatre for all you dreamgirls, rock and roll for the quiet types, honestly the possibilities stretch on further than I could reasonably be expected to list in a facetious manner.

So, my point is, given that you like music I think dance lessons or practice of some kind would be a cool way to get some exercise, learn something new and meet new people in a situation that, while silly, makes it a little easier to break the ice. I wish with every bone in my body I could meet people in real life by saying 'Hello! I'm Benedict. Let's Viennese waltz!'

Then again, I have never taken any dance lessons as much as I'd like to, I'm too shy. So I'm romanticising, it might be shite, I don't really know~

Crazy Diamond

After having to give up dancing because of my illness, I was lucky I had other hobbies to keep me busy so I started putting more time and attention towards them. I love to read (non-fiction mostly), I enjoy writing, I'm a passable sketcher who would love to learn to oil paint but it seems so expensive.

I love computers and teaching myself every new software I can get my hands on which is mostly open source. I love trying out all kinds of demos so my computer gets messy and I have to clean it a lot but I've been working with them since 1983 so I don't mind.

I love playing computer role-playing games like Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. I also mod for these games and that's a lot of work. You might as well be god. Both my brother and I like Morrowind the best and we've updated it in every way possible. Right now he has me trying to build a house he gave me schematics for. I'm using the TES Construction Set. The house is so complex that I figure it'll take a year or more to do and the FPS will be terrifying since he wants it all in once cell. I think I might have to build his dream house and then build a playable version.

Oh yeah... I love flight simulators too.

(edited for typo and clarity)

• 2 weeks later...

How do I start my own topics on here? I don't mean a thread, but a little sub forum here?

Qutenkuddly

You wouldn't be able to create a subforum, but there are a couple of forums that may be suitable, such as Open Mic and Off-A.

Finding myself

Throwing another suggestion into the mix: joining a book club maybe?

How do I start my own topics on here? I don't mean a thread, but a little sub forum here?

Sorry, just saw this.

Off-A would be good place, or, maybe, Just For Fun?

• 2 weeks later...
imnotafreakofnature!

Yoga might be another good option. I prefer to do it alone at home with youtube videos, but there are plenty of classes everywhere for those who the social aspect of the exercise.

Looking forward to the recipe-sharing! :D

I can do yoga at home but I usually just take a few basic poses and call it good. For some reason, I need the structure of a class to get the full benefits. I actually dislike the social aspect of a class, and I generally tune out everything else around me except for the instructor's voice. Even the music, unless it is a power yoga class. I have practiced with the same instructor for almost four years now. It is one of my most enduring hobbies, with healthy benefits.

• 3 weeks later...

Great plan Chandra! - It seems to be a highly portable instrument and the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain is a rather impressive band...

Hobby recommendation for the domestic socializers: Try getting into amateur radio. - The remains of that crowd should be a nice and helpful bunch...

Martial arts: Naginata seems well suited for the elderly.

Dancing lessons: I was told females are rare in that field (30+ scene) so it might be worth a try.

Almost any existing kind of local club might be worth joining. - Look what is there and pick the most promising?

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Yes, Busrider, the Ukelele orchestra was what gave me the idea! Have you heard the EGO (English Gamelan Orchestra)? They're music to fall asleep to, so relaxing!

I'll try to Google them after work. - Thanks a lot for the hint; thats what I really need music wise!

• 2 weeks later...
YorkshireTyke

Genealogy, theatre-going - I love Shakespeare, ballet and opera - and reading. When I move house next month I plan to get involved with the upkeep of a local nature reserve.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to go out in a mini bus with a group of conservation volunteers. Mostly, we cleared overgrown land to create footpaths for joggers and dog walkers. I enjoyed the fresh air and exercise.

Well my hobbies have been mostly in the technical. Working with radio and electronics as well as computers (they are becoming one in the same). I also go bike riding, brew beer (though I have not done that in quite a while) and the occasional scientific pursuit.

Archived