Hugging poll!

Spud

Hug vs. Be Hugged  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to hug or be hugged?

• I prefer to be hugged.
    • I prefer to hug others.
    • No preference / I feel equally about both.
    • I don't like to hug or be hugged.
    • Other (please explain)

This poll is closed to new votes

I was curious about whether people prefer to be hugged, or to hug other people. Just a random question I had ^_^

If I'm feeling down, the best feeling in the world would be a hug. In other circumstances, I would rather hug them in a big ol' bear hug.

I love hugs (either way; to me it's a mutual thing and not really something that's given or received), but I don't often get to actually hug the people I'd wanna hug, as a result of me only really knowing them over the internet >_>

Lady Norgard

If someone touches me without warning then they may get hurt, but I love giving hugs to people XD

Almost nobody spontaneously hugs me so I treasure it when it happens.

I'm not sure where it has come from, but I've become a big fan of hugs, both giving and receiving.

Grumpy Alien

I prefer to be hugged. I don't mind them at all but I feel awkward offering hugs for some reason.

Velvet Cheesecake

I love hugs, very much.I don't really see the difference between giving and receiving them. And I do hug people spontaneously,and many don't like it so I've become cautious of that and now I usually ask politely before: May I hug you?

I chose "I prefer to hug others." Although, I'm really not a fan of hugging IRL (but you know I give tons online!!). But I am much more comfortable if I'm the one that initiates the hug (and 99,9% of the time, that's only with family. And maybe one friend.) For the most part, I'm a hands-off person lol.

AlwaysADreamer

Hugging for me is sort of a complicated matter. As a general rule, I don't really hug people outside of my family. And even within my family there are some boundaries. My entire life I've had a strong sense of my person bubble, and that has made me quite selective in hug giving/receiving.

SorryNotSorry

Nope.

Too much trust has been destroyed.

I love to hug and be hugged only by my friends / people I trust. Even worse, I crave hugs from them -_-

This might sound bad, but with my family's constant "Oh you should be feminine, kids are great!" I feel very uncomfortable when they hug me. Love them and all, because they're my family, but from a distance.

On an unrelated note: maaaan, I haven't posted anything in such a long while!!! :<

I don't like to hug. It's an expression of affection and I hardly feel affection towards people. I don't like to be hugged. It feels like I'm being trapped. Most of all, I just don't like touching people, and I don't trust them.

Xerces Blue

I like to give hugs, but if someone else initiates I feel really uncomfortable.

I am hug indifferent. I never initiate hugs - if friends hug me it neither pleases nor displeases me. I occasionally dodge a hug from someone I would prefer not to be hugged by, if I can do so tactfully. My family were not huggers, and were not asexual so far as I am aware, so I don't link being hug indifferent to my asexuality.

I do like hugs with my dog and cat. :)

I love all the hugs! I don't really care whether I hug the other person or the other person hugs me- either way hugs are great! ^_^

SpeedinThroughSpace

I love hugs, but only from people I trust. :-)

Hooded_Crow

I love hugs (either way; to me it's a mutual thing and not really something that's given or received), but I don't often get to actually hug the people I'd wanna hug, as a result of me only really knowing them over the internet >_>

This :wub: I love hugs. Just, I'm shy so I don't often come out and hug people :blush:

Frigid Pink

I used to be really uncomfortable with hugs and, over time, I've become more comfortable with them, however, I'd still prefer not to have surprise hugs (unless they're from a romantic partner). I don't mind hugs from strangers if they warn me first. I sometimes want to give a hug to a stranger and I always make sure it's okay first.

I'm touch phobic so hugs of any kind are off the menu

Anthracite_Impreza

I'll only hug animals or machines and since they don't tend to hug you back, in the poll I'd have to answer prefer to hug. However, I cannot stand humans even touching me so that wipes them off the hugging map.

Manic Pixie Dream Nerd

I have no preference, but like 70% of the time I'm the one hugging other people. Usually I hug my close friends, for basically no reason xD

I personally am not much into hugging or being hugged.

Only exception being my mother, but if I fight it she will restrain me and hug me anyway so I learned to live with it lol(although that may stem from when I was younger-10'ish years- she managed to dislocate 3 vertebrae in my neck by trying to pull me into a hug when I didn't want to..... after a loud crack and collapsing like a sack of potatoes, then stuck in a neck-brace for months, that takes the fight out of you a bit :wacko:).

I do occasionally ask for a hug from her(generally when I am sick as a dog), but that's it. She is the only person I don't totally feel awkward with.

Otherwise I am really a non-touch kind of person, not touch-repulsed mind you, I just don't see the point, mainly because I suck at reading peoples moods(as in : is it the appropriate response?) and just generally feel awkward if I do hug someone(if its a situation that demands it by social convention).

As for other people hugging me, its more of I mentally roll my eyes and think to myself just get it over with then they have it out of their system and go away.....

I think its kind of on par with what MidnightRune said, I don't really feel much affection towards people, and don't much trust them either most of the time.

Only exception being my mother, but if I fight it she will restrain me and hug me anyway so I learned to live with it lol(although that may stem from when I was younger-10'ish years- she managed to dislocate 3 vertebrae in my neck by trying to pull me into a hug when I didn't want to..... after a loud crack and collapsing like a sack of potatoes, then stuck in a neck-brace for months, that takes the fight out of you a bit :wacko:).

What.

I do occasionally ask for a hug from her(generally when I am sick as a dog), but that's it. She is the only person I don't totally feel awkward with.

WHAT.

If someone did that to me I don't think I would ever trust them again, let alone want to hug them... it'd be one thing if it was purely an accident (somehow, although I can't even imagine how you can possibly break someone's neck by trying to hug them, even accidentally), but ending up with that as a result of having hugs forced upon you kinda reminds me of a little kid who breaks all of their action figures / dolls / etc. because they play way too rough with them... that is behavior practically expected of a kid, but IMO a parent should know better :unsure:

Anthracite_Impreza

^ Yeah, that. Jesus.

I guess I should have mentioned I have weak ligaments, I turn my head too fast and I will pop out a neck vertebrae or pinch a nerve in my spine, we just didn't know it was that bad when I was little(sure I use to routinely crack my neck like people crack their knuckles, just never thought that may be pointing to an overall weakness issue) , back then I mainly had lax ligaments in my extremities(as in walking and all of a sudden my ankles or wrists give out etc, docs say I would grow out of it).

But a couple horseback riding accidents later(one where I tore most of my back muscles and also dislocated my neck on) just made it worse, also puberty(at 7yo) seem to make it worse as well, to this day I haven't "grown out of it" like the docs predicted, only plus part is a rarely break anything I dislocate it(which IMO hurts worse, I rather break fingers than dislocate them).

On a bright note the local sports injury massage therapist sees me every 2 weeks for the rest of my life or I may never get out of bed again because my back and neck seized up and I cannot function.... yay me! ~ no wait, yay her, she gets all my money~

My mother that day really just wanted to pull me into a hug(ya know, when you got to that grumpy child with "aww come here sweety" and drag them in) and all I did was turn away and pull away a little bit. Loud crack, froze to see what it was and when we started to laugh because we both froze instantly and when I tried to turn back to her to give her that damn hug(she made me laugh, least I could do was hug her back ) "bam" down I went....... Off to the hospital with a panicked mother, neck brace and NO Painkillers later(since its a ligament weakness and I could make it worse and actually sever my spine if I can't feel!).

(Very) Long Story short, yes it was purely an accident. Poor mom wouldn't dare touch me for months after.

Archived