Q&A for Recipromantics/Non-Recipro partners?

WünderBâhr

WünderBâhr

So, I'm not very familiar with the recipro label, save my relationship with a recipro partner (still fairly new). I want to learn more about recipro experiences and, maybe, ask questions or add feedback for how it impacts the relationship roles and events.

First question (for first timers to the thread): What does recipro-mantic/sexual mean?

2. How would one approach a recipro person, and is it different than the usual/commonly assumed romantic gestures/chat/roles?

3. What does having a recipro partner mean, in the relationship, after the initial interest?

4. What are some suggestions for non-recipro partners to help them over time, within the relationship?

I don't mean to dismiss anyone's experiences with these questions. I am legitimately looking for answers and some insight on how recipros and non-recipros could maintain connection/bonds and understand one another within context of a romantic relationship.

I'm recipromantic, but have never been in a relationship, so I'm not sure I'm of any help.

2. How would one approach a recipro person, and is it different than the usual/commonly assumed romantic gestures/chat/roles?
What we need is for other people to be interested in us before we're interested in them. My romantic feelings don't develop until someone else expresses or shows interest, and even then that's not a guarantee. I think, for me personally, I would need to have some idea who the person is and need to think of them as a friend, even if not necessarily a close friend. But this is based off my very limited experience and someone elses' experience may be different.

I can't answer the other questions since I have never been in a relationship, but I think that overall we don't work all that differently from the typical. (And I think we probably are common, actually.) We just aren't the first person to develop feelings.

1) Recipromantic is recip-romantic, not recipro-mantic. It comes from the word reciprocate and means the person has zero romantic/sexual feelings until someone shows romantic/sexual interest first (i.e. they cannot feel so on their own; someone showing interest is the only way their romantic /sexual feelings are triggered).

2) I don't think so (the same goes for the other questions), the person asking them out just hast to be their type.

WünderBâhr

Oh, thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I didn't think recipros were that different, but the relationship aspects may be. Like.. I wonder if recipros only wait for the other person to initiate things at the very beginning, or if it also holds to maintenance, as well? Also, how recipros feel about romance, in general, is another thing I have wondered about.

Archived