No by Meghan Trainor

Éadweard

I heard this on the radio, and I was thinking, "It wouldn't be long before I see this on AVEN, lol"

Pity it has to be ruined by scantily clad people writhing around in the video

I was thinking that to, do we really have to sell a song about not having sex with sex, how does that even work?

Blue Phoenix Ace

The woman singing in the video. :twisted:

Thrasymachus

I was thinking that to, do we really have to sell a song about not having sex with sex, how does that even work?

Is this place intentionally a joke or do you guys work at it?

The song is obviously very sexual, so the video is also hyper-sexual. It is obviously a song meant to fictionalize a narrative of women's empowerment via acting out as a sexual tease. I only watched less than 30 seconds of that pop dreck and managed to glean that. Look at the lyrics yourselves:

http://www.elyrics.net/read/m/meghan-trainor-lyrics/no-lyrics.html

Btw here is a good expose on this corporate, "by the focus groups" pop dreck:

Hit Charade: Meet the bald Norwegians and other unknowns who actually create the songs that top the charts.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/10/hit-charade/403192/

Sonically, the template has remained remarkably consistent since the Backstreet Boys, whose sound was created by Max Martin and his mentor, Denniz PoP, at PoP’s Cheiron Studios, in Stockholm. It was at Cheiron in the late ’90s that they developed the modern hit formula, a formula nearly as valuable as Coca-Cola’s. But it’s not a secret formula. Seabrook describes the pop sound this way: “abba’s pop chords and textures, Denniz PoP’s song structure and dynamics, ’80s arena rock’s big choruses, and early ’90s American R&B grooves.” The production quality is crucial, too. The music is manufactured to fill not headphones and home stereo systems but malls and football stadiums. It is a synthetic, mechanical sound “more captivating than the virtuosity of the musicians.” This is a metaphor, of course—there are no musicians anymore, at least not human ones. Every instrument is automated. Session musicians have gone extinct, and studio mixing boards remain only as retro, semi-ironic furniture.

The songs are written industrially as well, often by committee and in bulk. Anything short of a likely hit is discarded. The constant iteration of tracks, all produced by the same formula, can result in accidental imitation—or, depending on the jury, purposeful replication. Seabrook recounts an early collaboration between Max Martin and Dr. Luke. They are listening, reportedly, to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs’ “Maps”—an infectious love song, at least by indie-rock standards. Martin is being driven crazy by the song’s chorus, however, which drops in intensity from the verse. Dr. Luke says, “Why don’t we do that, but put a big chorus on it?” He reworks a guitar riff from the song and creates Kelly Clarkson’s breakout hit, “Since U Been Gone.”

The song is obviously very sexual, so the video is also hyper-sexual. It is obviously a song meant to fictionalize a narrative of women's empowerment via acting out as a sexual tease. I only watched less than 30 seconds of that pop dreck and managed to glean that. Look at the lyrics yourselves:

Hit Charade: Meet the bald Norwegians and other unknowns who actually create the songs that top the charts.

Sonically, the template has remained remarkably consistent since the Backstreet Boys, whose sound was created by Max Martin and his mentor, Denniz PoP, at PoP’s Cheiron Studios, in Stockholm. It was at Cheiron in the late ’90s that they developed the modern hit formula, a formula nearly as valuable as Coca-Cola’s. But it’s not a secret formula. Seabrook describes the pop sound this way: “abba’s pop chords and textures, Denniz PoP’s song structure and dynamics, ’80s arena rock’s big choruses, and early ’90s American R&B grooves.” The production quality is crucial, too. The music is manufactured to fill not headphones and home stereo systems but malls and football stadiums. It is a synthetic, mechanical sound “more captivating than the virtuosity of the musicians.” This is a metaphor, of course—there are no musicians anymore, at least not human ones. Every instrument is automated. Session musicians have gone extinct, and studio mixing boards remain only as retro, semi-ironic furniture.

The songs are written industrially as well, often by committee and in bulk. Anything short of a likely hit is discarded. The constant iteration of tracks, all produced by the same formula, can result in accidental imitation—or, depending on the jury, purposeful replication. Seabrook recounts an early collaboration between Max Martin and Dr. Luke. They are listening, reportedly, to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs’ “Maps”—an infectious love song, at least by indie-rock standards. Martin is being driven crazy by the song’s chorus, however, which drops in intensity from the verse. Dr. Luke says, “Why don’t we do that, but put a big chorus on it?” He reworks a guitar riff from the song and creates Kelly Clarkson’s breakout hit, “Since U Been Gone.”

Oh really, I just thought that she was saying that she didn't want to have sex, I didn't know she was teasing.

Ace of Amethysts

Oh really, I just thought that she was saying that she didn't want to have sex, I didn't know she was teasing.

Ignore them, they`re just another conspiracy theorist. :)

Ace of Amethysts

Anyway, onto the song itself. I actually really like it and I think it`s the best single she`s released at the moment, although I highly doubt Meghan is asexual or aromantic. I still find it hard to believe that this song came from the same woman who released "Dear Future Husband". Anyway (again), I`m going to personally adopt it as an aro/ace song for a while :P

DannyFenton123

Anyway, onto the song itself. I actually really like it and I think it`s the best single she`s released at the moment, although I highly doubt Meghan is asexual or aromantic. I still find it hard to believe that this song came from the same woman who released "Dear Future Husband". Anyway (again), I`m going to personally adopt it as an aro/ace song for a while :P

Oh god, that song. Anyway, this one is awesome, and I don't hold grudges :P

Ace of Amethysts

Oh god, that song. Anyway, this one is awesome, and I don't hold grudges :P

Totally agree :)

I dig the beat of it, has some kind of late 90s/early 00s feel to it, it sounded like a Destiny's Child song and I really like it. Her other songs are meh and awkward to me, but this one is growing on me, it's nice to have a pseudo-ace anthem I guess ^_^

Thrasymachus

@piplup:

That lyric phrase is the most blatant example that this song is meant to "empower" women by fictionalizing the trope of the sexual tease. It is a common trope in pop music.

From work I got bronchitis, that is catchy too, but it doesn't mean it is good. Music by corporate committee, the product of intense focus groups and product testing, like modern pop is much the same. To me it is still hilarious that most the posters here are declaring this an ACE song of sorts, lol. HAHA.

DannyFenton123

@piplup:

That lyric phrase is the most blatant example that this song is meant to "empower" women by fictionalizing the trope of the sexual tease. It is a common trope in pop music.

From work I got bronchitis, that is catchy too, but it doesn't mean it is good. Music by corporate committee, the product of intense focus groups and product testing, like modern pop is much the same. To me it is still hilarious that most the posters here are declaring this an ACE song of sorts, lol. HAHA.

It's an interesting take. There could be a tease, but since I just don't see it I think it's a pretty cool ace song.

The great thing about songs is that they have so many different but equal different interpretations :)

That seems kinda cruel, do people tease for fun, is it like flirting?

I just figured she was saying that she didn't have time for sex, she was busy doing other things.

From some of the lyrics alone I would have thought it would have been a good ace-theme song too, but the video kind of destroyed that.

EDITED: Never mind on that last part. The video is seductive but the lyrics isn't about that.

Autumn Season

I don't know. I can see both the "leave me alone, seriously now" and the "tease" part and they don't work well together. It's contradictory, so I cannot like the song as much as I would otherwise for its lyrics.

Oh and btw. It's written from the point of view of a sexual person. (Though it is fitting for aces as well.) I really don't think the singer was feeling ace while writing it.

Thrasymachus

Pop singers don't write their own pop songs. The pop industry pretends they do, though. Did anyone read the serious source I gave? This is what happens when most real artists their own songs. The one hit wonder: "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" by Crash Test Dummies, the only high charting song that the band ever made:

That is what happens the vast majority of the time when artists write their own songs. Actually Crash Test Dummies got very lucky, most bands and musicians never ever even have a one-hit wonder and quit eventually after playing only in the local music scene and realizing they have to make money another way.

Pop stars have more consistent careers because they are not really contributing much creatively, other than picking songs others wrote and giving enough minimal input to get some writing credit, nor do they do their own own choreography, they have public relations teams, focus groups, etc. Such music is formulaic, bland, meaningless and totally corporate.

Blue Phoenix Ace

I really don't think the singer was feeling ace while writing it.

Hah, that's a good one. Very rich! Oh, that wasn't a joke?

It does make me wonder though. How does a pop star enter the scene? We have American Idol and The Voice to produce some of them, but where do the rest come from?

Autumn Season

It does make me wonder though. How does a pop star enter the scene? We have American Idol and The Voice to produce some of them, but where do the rest come from?

Well, in an interview she said she wrote it. Which might not mean she was the only author. But are you saying she outrightly lied?

Blue Phoenix Ace

Well, in an interview she said she wrote it. Which might not mean she was the only author. But are you saying she outrightly lied?

No she didn't lie. But it's not entirely the truth either:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thank_You_(Meghan_Trainor_album)

The song was produced by Ricky Reed. Meghan surely helped, possibly providing the lyrics. She may have written 99% of it, or maybe more like 1%. Only Ricky and Meghan know for sure.

Ace of Amethysts

No is the first Megan Trainor song that isn't total dog shit.

It`s the first single that isn`t total shit, anyway. :P

• 2 weeks later...
Grumpy Alien

I love this song. It's catchy and I like the lyrics.

WoodwindWhistler

This comes across as "haha, look at what you can't have."

Ick.

Without the video, maybe I would like this song. But, uh, Sara Bareilles' "not gonna write you a love song" was much more subtle and interesting, though this is catchy, I guess.

Pentatonix did a cover, and as usual with any pop music and most covers, it's better.

https://youtu.be/W9LJDwZOprY

Archived