Research Digest - What is it like to "come out" as asexual?

CosineTheCat

CosineTheCat

What is it like to "come out" as asexual?

2016/03/18

Sex, or talk of it, is everywhere, whether filling our TV screens or the conversations at the bar after work. Imagine then that you're one of the estimated one per cent of the population who actually don't have any sexual desire – an increasingly recognised status usually referred to as being "asexual". What is it like for such people to "come out" and tell the world that this is the way they are?
God of the Forest

Like David Jay said, the whole point of "coming out" as an asexual is to be able to have relationships that are talked about and celebrated on par with other sexual relationships, instead of being viewed as of lesser quality or of less importance. ^_^

IntrovertedBuddhist

Good article. I got the "just a phase" comment too lol

Like David Jay said, the whole point of "coming out" as an asexual is to be able to have relationships that are talked about and celebrated on par with other sexual relationships, instead of being viewed as of lesser quality or of less importance. ^_^

I'm sorry but having a relationship is not the only reason to come out. Not all asexuals want relationships but our own community continuously ignores that. Coming out helps people understand who you are.

I'm sorry but having a relationship is not the only reason to come out. Not all asexuals want relationships but our own community continuously ignores that. Coming out helps people understand who you are.

Yeah, for me coming out is being able to be myself without people assuming things from me, being able to talk about my issues, and for people, being able to understand me better, throw layers away, build trust. I don't know why, but that makes me feel a lot better, like I can talk to someone real and make puns and jokes and feel relaxed about it and authentic ¦y But people in this site keep writing that coming out is not worth it unless it's your partner :/ When it is always worth it as long as you choose well who to give that info.

One of the best articles I've read in a long time.

• 3 weeks later...
God of the Forest

I believe you misinterpreted what I meant by a relationship, a relationship by definition is the way in which two or more people, talk to, behave toward, and deal with each other, that being said, the whole point of coming out is indeed to be able to have relationships, honest relationships (that would include peers, strangers, friends, acquaintances, your boss, your mother, etc), for Relationships are not exclusively romantic or sexual in nature. You yourself said that "coming out helps people understand who we are".

God of the Forest

Yeah, for me coming out is being able to be myself without people assuming things from me, being able to talk about my issues, and for people, being able to understand me better, throw layers away, build trust. I don't know why, but that makes me feel a lot better, like I can talk to someone real and make puns and jokes and feel relaxed about it and authentic ¦y But people in this site keep writing that coming out is not worth it unless it's your partner :/ When it is always worth it as long as you choose well who to give that info.

That is not at all what I meant. look at my above post if you feel the need for clarification. It would seem that your definition of "relationship" only counts if its "your partner"

Archived