Asexual song from the 1980s

Éadweard

girltwink666

despite the title of the vid saying 1985 i dont think that its from there because the band The Echoes broke up in 1971. also its doo-wop style which was popular mostly in the 50s and 60s. but thank u for sharing!!

"She says she'll be right over but you know she'll never come"

..omg I'm sure they didn't use the word "come" to describe female orgasm back then did they? But ahaha omg that line is perfect.. "she'll be right over but you know she'll never come" sounds like a sexual play on words for her happily visiting him but not wanting sex/not wanting to orgasm with him haha but this must have been the 60's at least? (Its definitely not the 80s!) ..i havent even finished the song yet just had to pause and comment on that amazing line ahahaha

Edit: could they possibly not be saying that and my dirty mind just heard that hah? Because i also geard that she orefers to use a dildo (electronic device) to making love but yeah obviously thats not a thing back then.. I'm confused as to how much i relate to this song despite being a high libido ace.. for me everything aplies when it comes to *partnered* sexual activity..hah this song is awesome :p

Not to mention the band split in 1971?

I sence shenanigans

I sence shenanigans

what do you mean by shenanigans? (like, what part are you sus about?) the date on the vid is definitely wrong.. but im sort of sus that maybe its a modern band who sings in that old style?? it just seems they are making reference to modern things, like ''electronic toy'' and ''come'' seems like such a play on sexual words that they wouldnt have used in the 60's .. and also.. was it common to say ''movies'' and ''call her on the phone'' in the 60's? I dont know enough about the time period to know how common that stuff was. It just seems too.. convenient, to legitimately be a really old song? im so confused D:

catsaregood

Here's another youtube copy of the song, with a comment (supposedly written by the lead singer, Harry Boyle) that says it's from the 80s:

"hjboy523
Rich I love this ,it's from the 80's,I'm singing lead on this one. We knew a girl who had no sex vibe at all, so we wroter this song Harry"

Language and concepts more 80s, definitely! Have we found an earlier creator of the word 'asexual' for humans? :O :D

Yep, pre-AVEN, one definition of asexual was no interest or desire ... just like in this song.

"calling on the phone" dates way back and refers to landlines. Going to the movies, dark theatre ... not everybody went to view what was playing on the screen. ;)

Lucinda

I sence shenanigans

what do you mean by shenanigans? (like, what part are you sus about?) the date on the vid is definitely wrong.. but im sort of sus that maybe its a modern band who sings in that old style?? it just seems they are making reference to modern things, like ''electronic toy'' and ''come'' seems like such a play on sexual words that they wouldnt have used in the 60's .. and also.. was it common to say ''movies'' and ''call her on the phone'' in the 60's? I dont know enough about the time period to know how common that stuff was. It just seems too.. convenient, to legitimately be a really old song? im so confused D:

I mean there is some false play going on with when they released it compared to when the band split up :P

it was because the only sources I could find at the time were saying The Echoes split up in 1971 and so I obviously thought they wouldn't have been able to do this song anyway.

But now I think that they must have reformed under the producers 'Crystal Ball' for a few years as there is another album and a greatest hits.

If it was a song from the 80's then all the terminology is actually probably accurate, based off my knowledge of films like Greece xD

EmotionalAndroid

Haha, this is awesome. I love doo-wop music! I just wish the song didn't have so much innuendo.

This is fascinating! Lovely song!

I sence shenanigans

I mean there is some false play going on with when they released it compared to when the band split up :P

it was because the only sources I could find at the time were saying The Echoes split up in 1971 and so I obviously thought they wouldn't have been able to do this song anyway.

But now I think that they must have reformed under the producers 'Crystal Ball' for a few years as there is another album and a greatest hits.

If it was a song from the 80's then all the terminology is actually probably accurate, based off my knowledge of films like Greece xD

I just assumed the person who uploaded it put the wrong date on the vid, like they bought an album that was released in the 80's, but its a collection of that bands old stuff from the 60's, and the uploader just put the wrong date. But yes if it is from the 80's (and just made to sound 50's 60's) the terminology is definitely correct for the time period. I am still sus that it's a modern song made to sound old, and it's just been mistakenly attributed to that band somehow lol.. it seems too perfect for asexuality to legitimately be an old song :lol:

I sence shenanigans

I just assumed the person who uploaded it put the wrong date on the vid, like they bought an album that was released in the 80's, but its a collection of that bands old stuff from the 60's, and the uploader just put the wrong date. But yes if it is from the 80's (and just made to sound 50's 60's) the terminology is definitely correct for the time period. I am still sus that it's a modern song made to sound old, and it's just been mistakenly attributed to that band somehow lol.. it seems too perfect for asexuality to legitimately be an old song :lol:
I hate to burst your bubble but the word asexual has been around longer than you. Don't be fooled into thinking today's generation created it. It just wasn't organized until recently. I've even seen articles from the 70s referencing asexual when talking about people.

Yep, pre-AVEN, one definition of asexual was no interest or desire ... just like in this song.

"calling on the phone" dates way back and refers to landlines. Going to the movies, dark theatre ... not everybody went to view what was playing on the screen. ;)

Lucinda

well, even now many still prefer a desire based definition of asexuality :P

If this song is from the 60's (before the band broke up) I honestly don't think landlines were that common, they were more a luxury item so it seems off that someone from the 60's would casually mention ''calling on the phone'' in the same way we use that term now? Though yes it's still definitely possible if him and all his friends (and the girl) are relatively well off. And regarding the ''movies'' I have just never heard that terminology used in those days, they said ''flicks'' ''cinema'' ''film'' ''drive-in'' etc, BUT again, could just be something I've missed, or the song could legitimately been made in the 80's of course.

I hate to burst your bubble but the word asexual has been around longer than you. Don't be fooled into thinking today's generation created it. It just wasn't organized until recently. I've even seen articles from the 70s referencing asexual when talking about people.

My bubble? I think you misread me somehow. I am legitimately trying to work out when the song was made as the video says 80's but the song sounds like its from the 60's? Asexual up until quite recently was used to define reproduction without sex (ie plants, bacteria etc) though yes people had still been known to refer to themselves or others as asexual (though this was much more often in reference to appearing sexless, hard to distinguish gender from appearance).. I'd like to be able to share the song with people because I think the words are great, but I'm not going to unless I know for a fact when it was made.

Frigid Pink

I sence shenanigans

I didn't realize "asexual" as a sexual orientation was around that long ago! I'd be interested in reading those articles if you're able and willing to link them!

Batman's Ace

Regardless of when it was released, that's a great song!

I didn't realize "asexual" as a sexual orientation was around that long ago! I'd be interested in reading those articles if you're able and willing to link them!

Yeah I agree I'd be interested too! When I said ''too perfect to legitimately be an old song'' I meant ''too good to be true'' (because that's so awesome) not ''asexual was not an orientation back then'' ..I as referring to terminology in regards to other parts of the song, trying to pinpoint the exact era the song was created in. I have seen 'asexual' (as in, people) referenced as far back as a hundred years, but in reference to seemingly sexless people (as in, agender-looking) not as a sexual orientation. I'd be interested to see the articles referencing asexuality as a sexual orientation, definitely.

Yeah I agree I'd be interested too! When I said ''too perfect to legitimately be an old song'' I meant ''too good to be true'' (because that's so awesome) not ''asexual was not an orientation back then'' ..I as referring to terminology in regards to other parts of the song, trying to pinpoint the exact era the song was created in. I have seen 'asexual' (as in, people) referenced as far back as a hundred years, but in reference to seemingly sexless people (as in, agender-looking) not as a sexual orientation. I'd be interested to see the articles referencing asexuality as a sexual orientation, definitely.

I saw you post a comment on the vid, if you find out anything then could you post it to the thread cause I'm interested to find out xD

Archived