Daring to bare?

Skiddaloxx

This is something I have never understood.....I have a terrible fear of getting naked. Luckily, when you are in an Austrian school, you don't have to get undressed totally in the locker rooms and go to the showers. None of my friends have ever seen me naked (except when we were kids but that doesn't count). I even came to the conclusion that I chose Civil Service over the Army just because it's more or less a normal job, and you don't have to get undressed because you must shower as you have to in the army. But why?? Why am I so afraid?? I can run around in front of people just in my boxer shorts without blushing at all but take those away and I'll melt in shame. I don't know why I am ashamed, because there is nothing to worry about.

Yesterday a friend called me up and asked me if I wanted to join them going to a karate course in autumn. We have talked about it in spring already. Somehow I think: Shit, what if the others get undressed in the locker rooms...shall I give in and do the same, which I am very afraid of or should i leave my boxers on and hence show that I am not daring to bare? Sorry, it really sounds trivial but it's something that makes me very uncomfortable. The thing is I admire people who have a natural relationship with their bodies. On Sunday me and some friends went hiking in the mountains. When we came to a crystalclear well, one of the guys got naked and jumped in! :shock: You could see everything! The others and me couldn't believe their eyes. I mean it was funny, but I was a bit envious and admired him for being that brave. Or indifferent.

Then I seperate between getting naked in front of people you know (friends, family) and foreigners. I'd rather undress in front of foreigners, because I wouldn't care that much. But even that is abnormal i guess, because escpecially girl-friends know how the other looks like naked. My dad used to run around nude all the time and I didn't have a problem with that. I am not prudish. I just wonder,....there must have been some sort of click moment when it turned 180°, because I remember things like when me, my brother and dad used to go to the same loo and pee at the same time in one bowl. And today it takes much self-conviction and self-psyching-up to go to a pissoir. So why did I become that bashful?

When people get drunk, their sense of shame drops to zero. So apparently there are lots of people flashing their tools, which most people find irritating and just stupid (which it is), but then it's also cool.

It has always been hard work to escape situations where everyone had to get naked, but somehow I have always managed to get through them. Although it would of course be much better to have no fear of it or even enjoy it.

Around summer of 1999 I really started enjoying stripping my clothes off but I never went too far, always keeping undies on. It's a strange challenge in my life....

The other thing is that i have a bisexual wavelength underneath and I don't want to get hard in a lockerroom. That would be the worst thing that could happen!!

How do you guys experience it? Do have issues with it as well, or don't you care at all? And if not, how do you manage that?

Thank you,

Skiddaloxx

IlikePie, do you mean you have the same problem? Or do you wanna play? ;)

Seriously...i reckon you are in America, and I heard that you must go to the shower after the sports lessons in school. Is it something one can get used to and therefore being cool with it, or what?!

Skiddaloxx

It's possible that it is just a matter of what you are accustomed to. I was raised in a very modest (clothing-wise and financially) family, and shared a bedroom through childhood with my 2 older brothers, but never remember seeing them naked or being completely naked in their presence. It was not until grade 11 that I was forced into locker room nakedness with others, and it totally wigged me out for weeks ahead of time, but turned out not to be a big deal when I finally got there. As far as getting an erection goes, I had the same worry, but it never happened. It rarely does when you are really nervous about anything.

Advice? Do whatever makes you comfortable with who you want to be.

boa

ishouldbelockedinaninsane

I dont care really, except for what other people think, because I dont want to offend the little weirdos

Worthless Poster

I have a terrible thing of people seeing me nekkie. In fact, pretty much no one has. My best friend I think is the only one... and that was just like, changing in her room after going swimming, or some such.

I hafta change in a locker room for work, but I can keep undies on, so I deal. I mean, I have to, so what's my option? I hated it at first, and I still don't like it, but I'm used to it.

And yeah, ya gotta change/shower after athletic-type classes... that's why I take em all online. :D

When I was in public school, my mom had to sew me a huge bag for the PE period so I could cover myself while I was changing. :? That should give you an idea of...

(sees Aury flashing) :|

GAH!!! :shock: (tears out of the room like a track champion with a sudden onslaught of diarrhea)

GAH!!! (tears out of the room like a track champion with a sudden onslaught of diarrhea)

*explodes in a fit of laughter*

dude, that's the best one i've heard in a long ass time!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: i actually pictured thet track runner (heh... "runner"... "runs"... heheh...) grabbing his/her ass while sprinting.

*falls off chair laughing*

We had the option in gym about whether or not we wanted to shower afterwards, most people opted to smell and no one blamed them.

I never took gym, though, at the start of the year I'd always forge a doctor's note saying I wasn't allowed to participate in gym because of a heart defect and any strenous activity would kill me.

Cate

Flashes room? It can hardly mean what I am thinking of, can it?

LOOOOOOOL@Aury and OOgieboogie (the next pinky and brain)

Ok, well so you all had tricks to stay away from it as much as possible. Bravo! But why is it so hard to get naked? I mean it's so easy, but it takes much courage, doesn't it?

Aury: :mrgreen:

But why is it so hard to get naked? I mean it's so easy, but it takes much courage, doesn't it?

Three words to sum that one up - "I'm self-conscious" :| Brr!!

and you don't have to get undressed because you must shower as you have to in the army

When I join the army, this should be an . . . Interesting story :x

At school though, no one ever took showers. Then again, they didn't offer gym past grade 10 (and was only obligatory in grade 9). I remember everyone harassing me for wearing jogging pants instead of shorts back then too "LOLOLOLz!!!11!!!!!!!!1LOL!!1 U DONT SHAVE UR LEGS HAHAHA LOL!!!!1" and at one point the teacher started to make me sit out for the entire class because I opted for jogging pants instead of shorts . . . Oh, and this was during the time we were doing archery too. Hello, moron! Who the fuck needs shorts for archery??

I heard that some other guy a grade below me was allowed to wear tights though, which must have gotten him laughed at even more than shorts. He wasn't very popular either.

You know, I think I figured out the way that class worked. The unpopular kids were only allowed to wear clothes that got them laughed at more :evil:

Oogie - *LOL*

my trick for opting out of class was showing my hairy legs to the teacher & asking him if he REALLY wanted me to dress out that day. worked like a charm. :twisted:

hehehehe....you guys are funny.

as for me...I don't mind it too much. It's just whatever. This is how you naturally are....so in fact, i would probebly enjoy it..

the enitre cloths thing is a something off of sexuality...maybe.

Well...i think this has alot to do with the roots of some kinds of asexuality.

welll...an intersting theory anyway

SLEEP!....need....*passes out*

Well I remember going to the sauna with my dad when i was a kid, and I left my speedos or whatever you call those on. So there I was, a little boy, between all those hairy nude men, in the steam, feeling a bit strange that I was A.)the only kid and B.) the only one not naked.

I want to give it a try but I'll probably back off in the last moment. For example would you mind undressing in front of all the AVENers? Imagine we'd all be going to a sauna....what's ur instant feeling? Is it: Aaaaaaah! Yikes! No way! or is it: Yeah, that would be cool!

xena_trade_center

its a coincidence this subject came up now..... I may be posted to a war ship soon... and well...... we all have to shower in open showers and in only 30 seconds! arrghh.. gross! At least it will be in front of chicks only... but still...

I must say, I recon I'm one of the only people who still has their modesty in the navy, remaining from my previous civilian life. Most people in the navy are pretty open and sometimes even crude about their bodies... I mean... How hard is it to put up a shower curtain??? If you don't have to show off your nakedness then why do it? To me.. this boraders on sexualy suggestive behaviour.. but i dunno what everyone else thinks..?

I remeber my first experience in the navy with this. It was in basic training, and i remember some saying "hey! theres no doors on the showers!" :shock: and everyone just walked in and looked with horror... but, what could we do.. they owned us for the frist 60 days so I was either shower openly or be smelly :oops:

I really don't know what the point was of haveing no doors..?? what.. was the navy too low on budget? or was it a save the trees effort..? Personally I think it was for the guys who want all the girls to be open about nakedness and be their little lap-puppies...

I'll probably have to get up at like 3am just to aviod everyone.

God, that would be a horror! Thank god, I am not in the army, but the thing is: I wanna be courageous. It sounds ridiculous. There are heroes out there rescuing people from I don't know what, risking their lives, and I can't get my act together and do such an easy thing. Well....the thing is, I can't even really speak about that with anyone, because once it's unspoken, they know my ridiculous fear and I am afraid that they might focus on it even more. So when I tell someone, and we go to the locker room and get naked, I have the thought in the back of my mind, that they even concentrate more on me or something, because they know about my issue. ARGHH

Next time the opportunity presents itself, just do it. Unless you get to the point where, while disrobing, you become physically unable to control your muscles (in which case, there are other issues to deal with), don't take "no" for an answer from your body or your mind. It's not like you haven't praticed taking your cothes off thousands of times. Close your mind to the presence of the others while undressing, and then just talk to them normally afterwards. It's perfectly normal to give others a cursory once-over, and they will probably look you up and down briefly, but that is usually the end of it. It seems infinitely more difficult than it really is, given that it is a personal inhibition that you want to overcoome.

boa

I'm a bit weird in this respect.

At school I was terrified of changing for sports - but we didn't have showers so it wasn't even total nudity, just down to underwear pretty much. But I used to have real panic attacks preceding it and sometimes I would pretend I'd forgotten my sports uniform and get a detention just to avoid it, or I'd get a toilet booth and do it there. This probably wasn't helped by guys in my class looking under the toilet door and laughing at me, or trying to reach in and "dack" me.

However after I finished school (and this probably had a lot to do with my identifying as gay too) I was a lot less modest. A lot of people got to see me topless or more :P However I've sort of gone to a healthy middle ground now.

However I still can't pee in a urinal even if there's one other guy there. You have no idea how difficult concerts become (especially when all the girls show up in the guys' loos and take all the stalls because the other girls are busy in their loos yakking to each other or doing whatever they do)

Actually, guys, did any of you ever have the experience at school that all the girls would disappear into the girls' loo for most of the lunch break?

At my school they weren't. I can't be completely sure though as I got laughed at for everything I did. Yes, that included using the washrooms more than twice daily.

i've been completely naked in 1 situation and it was incredibly awkward, terrible. i'm generally ok in pants and a sports bra or a large shirt and no pants, but less than that makes me nervous. of course, that just stems from self consciousness

one time i was wearing clothes and then my testicles fell off, it was loads of fun even though it hurt alot.....the moral of the story is don't ever wear clothes

one time i was wearing clothes and then my testicles fell off, it was loads of fun even though it hurt alot.....the moral of the story is don't ever wear clothes

whatever do you mean fell off??

Archived