Characters you think might be asexual

improbability

improbability

I saw this thread, but the OP seemed to be asking for characters who were confirmed as ace in canon. Which, as we all know, are vanishingly rare.

I'll ask instead: what fictional characters can you think of who aren't explicitly confirmed to be ace, but seem like they might be?

I'll start: I think Adrian Monk is a sex-repulsed romantic asexual. He used to be married (his wife, Trudy, is dead before the series starts). There's one episode where he tells his therapist he's uncomfortable with hearing his neighbor having sex through the walls, and his therapist pushes him to talk about his sex life with Trudy. And Monk absolutely refuses. He literally sits there singing a song to avoid talking about it. He seems uncomfortable with sex at other times in the series, too. So my headcanon now is that he and Trudy had a loving but asexual relationship. And since

Trudy turns out to have had a child with another man before they were married

, it's also an example of a happy relationship between ace and non-ace partners.

Anyone else have any? (Let's not go there with Sherlock Holmes, in literary or BBC incarnations; I headcanon both as ace, but I know many people don't, and I'd rather see people come up with other examples than let that old debate take over the thread.)

I headcanon that Simon Seville from Alvin and the Chipmunks is ace, especially in the new reboot (Alvin!!! and the Chipmunks). I haven't seen the 80's or 60's version in a while, not since before I knew what asexuality was, so I can't necessarily say if I thought he was during those shows (though the new one does stay fairly true to the original, so possibly). In the new one, there's an episode where he's really freaking out about having to kiss a girl. On the cheek. :O He was literally about to drop out of a play for that. In other episodes, he seems a little oblivious to romantic situations or feelings, not automatically assuming romance is involved like Alvin does. When he does realize that a girl might like him, he's obviously really uncomfortable. He has also basically stated that he wants a girl to like him for his brain, not for a physical reason. I love Simon, and I would really love it if he was ace. :3

Uta and Suzuya from Tokyo Ghoul :3 also possibly Kaneki but considering his strange relationship with Rize, probably not?

These three just happen to be my favorite characters from this series so I guess them being asexual would just be another perk :P

There are a lot of Ace headcanons in the Steven Universe fandom, mainly for Peridot and stuff. I like the idea of Peridot being a romantic asexual (though all gems technically are asexual, but lets not get into that). I think Lapis is Ace Aro, but we need more screen time (when she isn't angry or scared) to see whats up.

I think Spencer Reid in Criminal Minds is Demiromantic Asexual (maybe Demisexual or somewhere in the Gray area). The only real relationship we've seen from him is the one with Maeve.

I headcanon Kevin from Welcome To Night Vale as a panromantic (flirty little devil) Ace or demisexual (hopefully we'll see more of him soon and can get a feel for post-Strex Kevin). Also, Carlos from WTNV - full Demi or sex positive Ace demiromantic.

Those are the first ones I could think of...

OO

Manga/Anime counts, right?

I really love Fairy Tail, so lets go!

Gajeel Redfox: demiromantic heterosexual

Rogue Cheney: Asexual Homoromantic

Gray Fullbuster: possibly Aromantic or Gray Aromantic (haha)

Kagura from Mermaid Heel: Asexual

Midnight/Macbeth: Asexual

Okay, I'm good. I would put evidence or something, but I can't access a lot of stuff on school computers.

Forest Spirit

Yes, definitely Spencer Reid!

The doctor seems ace or atleast grey-ace to me.

Kakashi and Itachi from the anime/manga Naruto maybe?!

Link from the legend of Zelda (even though I can't really think of any character from it who has shown sexual interests..)

In my mind: every character unless shown otherwise XD

I saw this thread, but the OP seemed to be asking for characters who were confirmed as ace in canon. Which, as we all know, are vanishingly rare.

I'll ask instead: what fictional characters can you think of who aren't explicitly confirmed to be ace, but seem like they might be?

I'll start: I think Adrian Monk is a sex-repulsed romantic asexual. He used to be married (his wife, Trudy, is dead before the series starts). There's one episode where he tells his therapist he's uncomfortable with hearing his neighbor having sex through the walls, and his therapist pushes him to talk about his sex life with Trudy. And Monk absolutely refuses. He literally sits there singing a song to avoid talking about it. He seems uncomfortable with sex at other times in the series, too. So my headcanon now is that he and Trudy had a loving but asexual relationship. And since

Trudy turns out to have had a child with another man before they were married

, it's also an example of a happy relationship between ace and non-ace partners.

Anyone else have any? (Let's not go there with Sherlock Holmes, in literary or BBC incarnations; I headcanon both as ace, but I know many people don't, and I'd rather see people come up with other examples than let that old debate take over the thread.)

A lot of times I kinda roll my eyes at headcanons here but I think you're right about Monk. He's at LEAST super sex repulsed.

mardakaisson

I headcanon Ruby Rose from RWBY as an aro ace

I think it's the perfect time to go and show this extensive list of Doctor Who quotes, which is being constantly updated as the OP keeps reading books. There are so many that by now it's not even a headcanon, spent literally more than half a hour reading all of them.

Also: Rey and Luke from Star Wars are aroace.

Dodecahedron314

I headcanon Kevin from Welcome To Night Vale as a panromantic (flirty little devil) Ace or demisexual (hopefully we'll see more of him soon and can get a feel for post-Strex Kevin). Also, Carlos from WTNV - full Demi or sex positive Ace demiromantic.

I fully support demi Carlos, I've had that headcanon for him for as long as I can remember (haven't thought of Kevin, though, interesting possibility). It kinda bugged me that in one of the more recent episodes where Maureen said she "wasn't interested in boys" that everyone immediately took that to mean that she's lesbian--I immediately jumped on that as her being aroace. I've also seen it posited somewhere on the Internet that the whole reason The Registry of Middle School Crushes happened was because Janice is possibly arospec, which I think is certainly plausible. And I'm sure once I read the novel I'll have at least one more ace headcanon to add to the list--I have the ability to extract evidence of asexuality from pretty much anything.

Hmm, other things...pretty much all the characters from one of my favorite webcomics, Todd Allison and the Petunia Violet, can easily be read as somewhere on the ace spectrum, with the exception of Cyril and possibly Dylan, although I could also definitely see Dylan being panromantic ace, in the same way that Kevin from WTNV could be. I also have a very strong feeling that Antimony Carver, the main character of Gunnerkrigg Court is aroace. Also, there's one webcomic I read with a canon ace character!!! That would be Supernormal Step.

I also have a very strong feeling that Antimony Carver, the main character of Gunnerkrigg Court is aroace.

That's interesting. I always had the impression that Annie is, perhaps subconsciously, in love with Kat.

Dodecahedron314

I also have a very strong feeling that Antimony Carver, the main character of Gunnerkrigg Court is aroace.

That's interesting. I always had the impression that Annie is, perhaps subconsciously, in love with Kat.

I think it was definitely possible to interpret it as that for a while, but perhaps more from Kat's side, and (spoilers with white text, highlight to read) perhaps only to sort of set up the relationship between Kat and Paz by subtly introducing the idea of Kat not being straight, if that makes sense. I always read Annie and Kat's relationship as being more of a best friend one, possibly even going into the queerplatonic realm at this point, but not romantic, although I could see where you could get that in some of the earlier chapters (I was really worried that that would happen for a while there, so Kat and Paz was kind of a relief for me.) So yes, I think in the beginning it was kind of ambiguous, but in later chapters I think she's portrayed as leaning more toward aroace.

sk8ergrandma

I head cannon katniss everdeen as ace and the doctor from doctor who as demiromantic ace

Forest Spirit

Sidenote: I only found out about (my) asexuality a bit more than a year ago and it's always very cool to find out that the reason why I loved certain (ace) characters so much and was able to relate to them very well is because we have something in common. Things make so much more sense now <3

I think it was definitely possible to interpret it as that for a while, but perhaps more from Kat's side, and (spoilers with white text, highlight to read) perhaps only to sort of set up the relationship between Kat and Paz by subtly introducing the idea of Kat not being straight, if that makes sense. I always read Annie and Kat's relationship as being more of a best friend one, possibly even going into the queerplatonic realm at this point, but not romantic, although I could see where you could get that in some of the earlier chapters (I was really worried that that would happen for a while there, so Kat and Paz was kind of a relief for me.) So yes, I think in the beginning it was kind of ambiguous, but in later chapters I think she's portrayed as leaning more toward aroace.

I can see what you mean with that. When (spoilers) Kat and Paz's relationship first developed and Annie was upset, I thought it might be because she'd hoped it would be her instead of Paz, but it could also be that she has QPR-type feelings for Kat and was afraid the new romance would get in the way of their friendship. (end spoilers)

Sheldon Cooper on Big Bang Theory. Even though for Amy's birthday, Sheldon agreed to have sex with her, it hasn't happened again since. I think he would be one who would have sex to please Amy, but definitely could live without it.

I have another one: Amelia Folch from El ministerio del tiempo. I headcanon her as ace romantic or demiromantic.

• 2 weeks later...
LunarEclipse*

Gilligan from Gilligan's Island.

And yes, Spencer Reid from Criminal minds. (I always thought of him as aroace but after the Maeve thing, I guess he could be heteroromantic ace? His relationship with Maeve completely convinced me of his asexuality though.)

I agree about the doctor…especially 11.

Katniss everdeen and daryl dixon are good ones I hadn't thought of that... but I definitely see it! Also I see the Doctor as demi for sure.

Hiro from Heroes comes across as a romantic ace to me, but I haven't watched the show enough to know if that changes later on

Jack Skellington

Tuffnut Thorston from how to train your dragon

I'm not a huge Naruto fan but from what I watched of the show Sasuke seemed ace to me

MyDogsSpots

I like to think of Dumbledore as ace. I know JK Rowling has said that he was homosexual, but the only relationship she ever mentions him having was with Grindelwald when they were both teenagers.

Sheldon Cooper on Big Bang Theory. Even though for Amy's birthday, Sheldon agreed to have sex with her, it hasn't happened again since. I think he would be one who would have sex to please Amy, but definitely could live without it.

I can't remember if he ever talks about it in the show, but he definitely seems it. And after the birthday sex he says "that was more enjoyable than I had anticipated" and then rolls over and goes to sleep. Perhaps he's closer to a Gray-A, just because over time he warmed up to it but only with Amy? (I guess that would depend on if their intercourse becomes more frequent?) IDK, but it's an interesting thought, and it would be interesting if the writers addressed it at all.

EggplantWitch

Steven Universe has already been brought up, but I can't believe Greg didn't get mentioned! My favourite episode of SU is 'We Need To Talk' because of how much it reeks of asexuality. It's too hard to explain in a way that people who don't watch the show would understand (and you should all watch it, by the way), but the moral of the episode is 'talking is more important than sex' (or more important than the show's metaphor for sex), and even if a relationship contains no sex that doesn't mean it's less important than one which does. I've seen a lot of TV shows and movies and I've read a lot of books, and Greg Universe is by far the best asexual representation I've ever seen even if the word 'asexual' never gets brought up.

improbability

OK, I know I started this thread for headcanons rather than canon ace characters. But I was just catching up on Archie comics, and in the recent Jughead #4 it's confirmed that Jughead is asexual! Yay for canon ace representation!

Son Goku from Dragon Ball is a candidate. Like the guy is married with two kids, sure, but also doesn't explicitly show sexual (or romantic) interest in anybody. (Well, some anime filler may suggest romantic with his wife, just a tad. The scene where he wakes up after the heart virus.)

In early Dragon Ball he is also shown not to have any interest in women (which Roshi comments on) and when shown a photograph comparing two women (one attractive according to Roshi and one not), he stated he liked both. That said, again, he was 12 at the time (even though he and everyone else thought he was 14), and Saiyans age and develop more slowly than humans anyway. But hey, that leaves plenty of room for headcanons and interpretations!

I personally headcanon him as demiromantic demisexual. *le shrug*

improbability

Could I ask what 'headcanon' means?

Thanks x

Headcanon means "The writers never actually said or implied this, but they've never said it isn't true either, and I secretly like to think it is."

So to use my examples above: Adrian Monk being a romantic asexual is my headcanon, so whenever I watch Monk, I'm watching through a lens of believing that's something I know about Monk, even though the show has never said so. That's going to color my perception of episodes where Monk has a love interest, or talks about his relationship with his late wife.

On the other hand, Jughead being asexual isn't a headcanon; it's canon, because the text of the story has confirmed that it's true. So that's now something that all readers see as part of their perception of Jughead, not just one person's speculation.

I like to believe that Ginko from Mushishi is asexual, and possibly even aromantic, even if the show's focus is not about those things. He never shows an interest for anyone that he meets, which I know is because he can't stay around one place for too long, but I can definitely see it. He never seems to show a yearning for getting married or seems particularly sad about it.

Same with Kino from Kino's Journey. I headcanon Kino as nonbinary at least a little, they don't really seem big on labels anyway, and they're not really interested in anyone they come across in a sexual or romantic way. They do become fond of people they meet at times, but it's always platonic.

This is probably silly, but I headcanon Pashmina from Hamtaro as aromantic, and well they're hamsters in a kid's show so sex isn't going to be mentioned. The other girl hamsters all swoon over their crushes but Pashmina isn't into anyone romantically at any point, even when new characters are introduced later. In the dub she said something like "not being interested in stinky boys" and it could be seen as a childish kinda thing, but if a lot of the hamsters are all falling in love with each other and she doesn't seem interested or even wishing for it, I can see her being aro for sure! Heck, even Penelope, the youngest hamster, gets a crush at one point. So I'm wondering if the "she's young" thing doesn't really hold water for her disinterest in romance.

Archived