Camp NaNoWriMo 2016

The Great WTF

Grace Barton

All right! It's almost time, peeps! Is everybody ready!? :D

I'm picking up where I left off on one book, so in terms of outline and research materials and such I should be set -- but I don't feel as ready as I did when I started this draft in November. I'm not sure why; could be just that I have a bunch of other things that I'm thinking of lately.

On the plus side, I'm not involved with any theatre production next month, so I'll have a lot more time than I have for one of these things before. This weekend is going to be busy for me, so I may not get much done right away, but I ought to be able to catch up after that.

Grace Barton

I'm not sure why; could be just that I have a bunch of other things that I'm thinking of lately.

Could very well be. If you have other things tugging at your mind it's harder to focus. I pushed myself to finish the game I was playing before Camp so that wouldn't be drawing my attention.

WinterWanderer

Good luck, everyone!!

I've written 249 words so far, in about an hour. :) Hoping I can keep it up and reach my word goal.

The Great WTF

In typical me fashion, I've been brainjacked by a cyberpunk dystopian story I haven't worked on in almost ten years so I'm scrambling to find all my old notes and readjust the story to all the changes I've made to it's predecessors. This is what I get for introducing my niblings to MegaMan X. <.<

I've also discovered that my handwriting in high school was awful, especially when it's squished in the margins of my sheet music and AP World History notes, and that my old AP History textbook is so whitewashed, full of errors, and generally patently full of shit that it kind of hurts.

Grace Barton

I'm up to 1.4k so far and plan to spend the evening writing. I'm usually quicker at the beginning and then slack off when other interests try to grab my attention.

My goal is only 20,000, though I might not reach is because I feel I won't have too much time. I already haven't written anything yet, and I still have homework to finish. But hopefully I get some words in today. Good luck everyone!

Grace Barton

At the end of Day 1 I got up to 4.3k. Not a bad start and a nice cushion to sit on. Now to make a start on today's goal. :)

Unfortunately, I got nothing done at all yesterday, and I'm way too tired to do any writing today. Hopefully I'll be able to make it up tomorrow.

I'm not sure why; could be just that I have a bunch of other things that I'm thinking of lately.

Could very well be. If you have other things tugging at your mind it's harder to focus. I pushed myself to finish the game I was playing before Camp so that wouldn't be drawing my attention.

Yeah, I'm in the middle of a few things, and then there are the things I would really like to be able to stop thinking about but can't.

The Great WTF

Welp, after pulling an unintentional 12 hour shift at work because the stupid newspaper put our sale ad out a week early, then doing an MTG tournament at my sister's shop, sleeping for two hours, and then going back to the shop for the midnight release party of Shadows Over Innistrad, I can safely say that I have gotten absolutely nothing done in my first day and a half of NaNo. ^_^ On the plus side, I won the midnight release tournament and now I have the whole day to myself to make an attempt at writing while my partner and brother are at a concert in Las Vegas.

One of my gaming friends works at the local sports bar and has talked his manager into setting up a little writer's nook for me so I have a place to go and write when I want to get away from home.

Grace Barton

Wow, it's only day 3 and I've already lost my motivation. :(

Good luck everyone!

I've been busy with life, so had completely forgotten this was coming. I wasn't sure yet if I wanted to try this, though, so I guess I'll just wait until July.

*makes note to self to think about that soon*

WinterWanderer

I've almost written 10,000 words so far. Which sounds great, but I'm quickly running out of ideas. I write my book in pieces, depending on what comes to my head first, so I've got scenes from all over the place - the beginning, the middle, and the end. And I'm trying to fill in all the gaps, but it's so hard to come up with the right material.

Not gonna give up, though! I want to win Camp with 50k words at least once in my lifetime :p

Grace Barton

I've almost written 10,000 words so far. Which sounds great, but I'm quickly running out of ideas. I write my book in pieces, depending on what comes to my head first, so I've got scenes from all over the place - the beginning, the middle, and the end. And I'm trying to fill in all the gaps, but it's so hard to come up with the right material.

Not gonna give up, though! I want to win Camp with 50k words at least once in my lifetime :P

You can do it! Just wing it and let your mind write whatever first enters your mind, and you'll find that when you go back there will be things that you can keep, and plenty to scrap. You can think more about whether it works or it doesn't afterwards.

So, real life got in the way and I haven't even started. My head isn't really in the right place for this right now, so I'll give this one a miss and try again next time. Good luck to everyone else!

Grace Barton

Other hobbies are now trying to distract me... *sigh*

The Great WTF

I've written my entire novel... in my head. I haven't had time to sit down and actually type anything all week. Hoping I can get caught up this afternoon once I get done at work.

I made, or I guess the characters made as this was entirely NOT my idea, the decision to have an asexual relationship form out of having "asexual trying to cure herself" sex. I'm not sure how that happened, but it's cute so I'm gonna roll with it.

Oh, no, I missed the start date! It was April 1, right? Darn! I didn't know AVEN was into this. And just when I won my first and only NaNoWriMo last November with 52.5K words in 29 days, and as a new member who'd only created the account the day before the start date with a never-before-written story. (Talk about a serious challenge with little planning ahead!) I was going to do half that this time, a novella, since it just makes more sense to me to look at the challenge as a lite version, so about 25K. I can start a story with no problem. It's just whether I have enough time to reach 25K eleven days late. :(

Oh, and if anyone's interested, my username at both NaNoWriMo and Camp NaNoWriMo is fkfeliz, my author name. :)

WinterWanderer

Noooo! Well, if you do decide to try and start, we'll be cheering for you!!

I haven't written all weekend, and now I'm... not quite behind, but not where I should be, either. *sigh* And I have absolutely no idea what to write today.

Grace Barton

I am behind. -_- I just have no motivation. My brain wants to do other things and won't cooperate.

Never mind! I went ahead and started the challenge with a "what the heck" mentality, setting it at a target of 25K words. It was well after midnight when I started, so I'm technically still on my first day. I reached 1,219 words last night, which resulted in two full MS Word pages, and I'll continue shortly. It's a young adult ace romance of six main characters, not all POV, just the ace heroine and her ace love interest, and two of the six are aro-aces with a squish of their own. I'll post the first chapter on there as an excerpt, which I'm almost finished with.

The good thing about these challenges is that they really encourage you to write and prevent any possible writer's block, at least to me, anyway. This is my second challenge total, and NaNoWriMo has been a blessing. I love it.

Good luck to all of you! Hang in there! We can do it! Let's not give up! :D

Edit: I reached 1,613 words on day eleven, my first day. First chapter + images now available at http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/136963-a-coral-lake-aven-exclusive-look-details-book-cover-two-concept-drawings-first-chapter-draft/

WinterWanderer

It's Day 12 here and i'm slowly falling more and more behind. Hoping to find some inspiration and write more today.

fiorya: I haven't continued yet after finishing the first chapter, so I'm still at 1,613 words of 25K. However, I can relate to falling behind. After all, I started this challenge on day eleven, so I was already behind. But then again, maybe it's your word count? Have you tried lowering it? I admit it's so tough to keep at this daily. What I did with the November challenge was that if I missed a day, I doubled up the next day. That worked so well, despite how difficult it was, but it may not work for others. Hang in there!

The past few days have been so incredibly busy, so I have barely written anything. I probably won't drop our or anything, but I am expecting not much by the end of the month.

I'm roughly 4k behind schedule, but so far this Camp has gone much smoother than previous ones, haha. It feels like weekends were made to catch up on your writing. :D

I feel like a big hypocrite for acting like a cheerleader and encouraging others not to give up. I'm still at 1,613 of 25K words, no change since the 11th when I started. That's five days of nothing. I need to change that. Maybe today, if I can force myself to write more. I didn't have this problem with the November challenge, and that was double the word goal with no changeable goal. But then again, I also started on the first of the month, while I didn't this month. Maybe that makes a difference with motivation. Or maybe it was because it was my first challenge, and there was the whole novelty factor. Who knows?

I'm new to the forums and was not expecting a Camp NaNo thread, and yet here it is. tumblr_m3e0qjfD411qf290m.gif (My username is also yuuen on both NaNo sites. NaNo | Camp)

I'm at 11,706 words out of my 25,000 goal! Shouldn't be too hard to catch up to where I need to be tonight. I wrote 50k in November on my novel and I'm trying to get more of it finished. I'm not sure 25k more will finish it off completely, but I think it'll bring me pretty close to the end. How exciting. I'm the type who starts projects and never finishes them. So to see this novel, which I started the idea for maybe fifteen plus years ago, finally materializing in this way is just mega exciting. tumblr_inline_mkqs52a42T1qz4rgp.gif

I did nanowrimo in 2010... finished it. Only time I've ever done it... oh dear

That was the first year I won! Haha. Can always jump in this year if you're feeling inclined.

Archived