Camp NaNoWriMo 2016

The Great WTF

The Great WTF

CNW_Participant.jpg

It's March 1st, so you know what that means. Time to start getting ready for Camp NaNoWriMo.

Come on in, take a seat, don't forget to drop off your pen name at registration if you want cabin mates. The coffee and tea are in the corner, feel free to make use of the espresso machine, cloaks and daggers can be found under your chairs/futons/various comfy sitting places. Don't forget to drop off your spare plot bunnies in the plot bunny corral outside. They tend to breed uncontrollably when left unsupervised.

Now, if you don't mind, I'll be over here trying to sort my plot bunnies into something that can be used as a single novel.

WinterWanderer

Can't wait! I'm going to be adding onto my fantasy novel project from last camp. I'm at about 31k words right now.

My username is elainemaine if anyone wants to be cabinmates :)

*pours a cup of coffee and takes a seat on a futon*

I've never done Camp NaNoWriMo, only doing NaNoWriMo on my own and not online. What's involved?

The Great WTF

I've never done Camp NaNoWriMo, only doing NaNoWriMo on my own and not online. What's involved?

It's essential NaNoWriMo Lite. You can set your own word count goal, have the option of being put in 12 person supportive/idea sharing groups called cabins, and generally have a little more flexibility in what you're allowed to do.

Personally, I'm re-writing my project from last April. Again. <.< I don't know why, but I cannot fucking settle on a version of this thing that I like. It's been redone like eight times since I started it in high school.

whimsical_dragon

Set up my project today, and started a private cabin for my writing group. :) We're ready.

I'll probably be really busy with college, but it can't hurt to try! My nanowrimo name is coy_earth. :3

I'm too busy with college for even Camp NaNoWriMo. I'm cheering you all on though!

Oddball-Meo

I always want to try this but I'm very secretive and shy when it comes to my stories and this always deters me. Can other people read your story? Do I have to write it online?

The Great WTF

I always want to try this but I'm very secretive and shy when it comes to my stories and this always deters me. Can other people read your story? Do I have to write it online?

No. No one reads what you write unless you choose to share it.
Oddball-Meo

No. No one reads what you write unless you choose to share it.

I see. Thank you for answering :).

Grace Barton

You don't write it online, and no one need ever see what you're writing. When it comes to validating your word count you will need to copy/paste your words into a box that will do an automated word count to confirm you've finished, but it doesn't store your words or show them to anyone else.

I'd highly recommend you giving Camp a go, especially if you're looking for some extra motivation/challenge. You can choose if you want to be sorted into 'cabins' (basically mini-forums with a small group of writers across the globe), or write on your own. Again, I'd recommend the cabins. I've made some of my best writing friends in the Camp cabins, and we make our own cabin each year so we can always write together. You don't need to share what you're writing, but seeing other people writing and increasing their word counts can be very motivating.

Why not give it a shot? You can always drop out if you don't like it or decide it's not for you. And you might make some awesome writing friends in the process! Not to mention get the motivation to get your story going, or even finished! :D

Edit: Oh, uh, yeah, I'm Camp this year. Forgot to mention that. And yes, I'm still revising the same novel. I'm hoping to finish revising what I've currently got and then spend Camp writing up and revising the new ending. Then maybe I can actually look at publishing the darn thing. :D

Oddball-Meo

You don't write it online, and no one need ever see what you're writing. When it comes to validating your word count you will need to copy/paste your words into a box that will do an automated word count to confirm you've finished, but it doesn't store your words or show them to anyone else.

I'd highly recommend you giving Camp a go, especially if you're looking for some extra motivation/challenge. You can choose if you want to be sorted into 'cabins' (basically mini-forums with a small group of writers across the globe), or write on your own. Again, I'd recommend the cabins. I've made some of my best writing friends in the Camp cabins, and we make our own cabin each year so we can always write together. You don't need to share what you're writing, but seeing other people writing and increasing their word counts can be very motivating.

Why not give it a shot? You can always drop out if you don't like it or decide it's not for you. And you might make some awesome writing friends in the process! Not to mention get the motivation to get your story going, or even finished! :D

Edit: Oh, uh, yeah, I'm Camp this year. Forgot to mention that. And yes, I'm still revising the same novel. I'm hoping to finish revising what I've currently got and then spend Camp writing up and revising the new ending. Then maybe I can actually look at publishing the darn thing. :D

Thank you for the reply. It does sound like fun and my biggest weakness is motivation so I would love to join the camp. When does it start and end? Are there official dates?

Grace Barton

Thank you for the reply. It does sound like fun and my biggest weakness is motivation so I would love to join the camp. When does it start and end? Are there official dates?

Camp runs twice a year, both in April and July. So basically from the beginning to the end of the month. They start assigning cabins a couple of weeks before it starts so writers can get to know each other a bit beforehand, so it's a good idea to sign up now. You won't be assigned to a cabin unless you've created your project on the site (basically just saying what kind of novel you're writing).

The Great WTF

I just found out that my brother/beta reader/main source of NaNo motivation might be getting into a new relationship soon. I don't know much about the woman other than the fact that they've been attracted to each other for years and actually had to stop spending time together for fear of her cheating in her husband.

Well, she just dumped the husband and if there's one thing my brother excels at, it's jumping into stupid rebound relationships with women that inevitably drag him away from the rest of our family for months until he gets his head out of her breasts. -_- Yay. It took two years to get rid of the last one and I wasn't even allowed to hug him in that time after she found out we're not bio siblings. If they start dating before April, I'm going to he in trouble.

I participated in Nanowrimo for the first time this past November so I think im going to give this a go. I'm Meag9600 over there too :)

I'm going for it. This is the first year in a long time when I haven't had a lot going on in April, and I didn't manage to finish the novel I was working on back in November, so this should be a good kick to finally work on it again. Despite telling myself I was going to keep going with it, I've been distracted by a lot of other things, so setting a concrete goal like that always helps me.

I'm still Remmirath over there.

If anyone wants to be cabin mates my pen and is Bbauthor2

I know I'm a little late to the party in registering but I can not wait for Camp to start!

It's going to be awesome, and hopefully I'll actually get the parts of my novel done that I'm hoping will!

Grace Barton

If anyone wants to be cabin mates my pen and is Bbauthor2

I know I'm a little late to the party in registering but I can not wait for Camp to start!

It's going to be awesome, and hopefully I'll actually get the parts of my novel done that I'm hoping will!

It is never too late to register! (Well, unless you register on April 30th or something... then you are a bit late...)

Go for the gold! Heck, why not write the parts you want to during Camp and do the rest after? Is it a new novel or a redraft?

Also, what is everyone's word goals for Camp? I was going to stick with 50k but as I have a lot going on right now I may drop it to 30k just to give myself a fighting chance and not overdo myself like I usually do.

I'm going with 50,000, because I think that ought to be roughly how much I have left to write. Maybe it'll be less, but I'd rather go it that way than the other, since it's more of a motivational punch this way. I'm definitely going to have to do some trimming later on what I've already written anyhow, so I'm not worrying overly much about word count at this point.

The Great WTF

I'm going to aim for 50k just because I feel like being masochistic like that.

Grace Barton

@TheGreatWTF Are you going to do a list of everyone's usernames again?

The Great WTF

Yep ^_^ I just haven't had the time. I submitted my thesis last week and I've been busy with wrapup and final details. (It got accepted this morning!)

Truth and Lies

Oof, yeah... I am not able to piece together a plot well enough to write a long story on any of my ideas. If only, if only...

That being said, just throwing this out here, but I really enjoying editing and am decent at it (in the grammar/structure/spelling department, at least), so if anyone would ever like a second pair of eyes, I would be happy to oblige! ^_^

Grace Barton

Wish NaNoWriMo included potential non-fiction.

I never even noticed they didn't have non-fiction as a category! Maybe it's worth submitting feedback to the site suggesting they add it as a category, if not for April then for the July camp?

Oof, yeah... I am not able to piece together a plot well enough to write a long story on any of my ideas. If only, if only...

That being said, just throwing this out here, but I really enjoying editing and am decent at it (in the grammar/structure/spelling department, at least), so if anyone would ever like a second pair of eyes, I would be happy to oblige! ^_^

You can always write a group of short stories? :D

Also, that is very tempting. Most research I've done on preparing a novel to be submitted to an agent advises it is beta-read by another reader for that kind of thing. I've always been hesitant though because I get very anxious that they're just going to tell me how rubbish it is. :\

Truth and Lies

You can always write a group of short stories? :D

Also, that is very tempting. Most research I've done on preparing a novel to be submitted to an agent advises it is beta-read by another reader for that kind of thing. I've always been hesitant though because I get very anxious that they're just going to tell me how rubbish it is. :\

My short stories are veeeeery short. xD And my actual, honestly good writing comes very rarely and I feel I would end up with a stack of immensely depressing stories because that's what my mind always conjures up.

My critiquing, as I said, is mostly based around the technicalities of writing. The grammar, the spelling, the sentence structure. Whatever else I can point out just depends, I suppose. Sometimes I can note incongruities within a story itself and sometimes I can't.

I may sometimes be blunt with pointing out mistakes, but I try not to be harsh about it. Certainly, I would not bash someone's writing which they have put love and thought in to. That is reserved for my own writing. ^^;

I definitely know all about feeling anxiety over sharing my stories, so I can empathize with you. ^_^ So, if you like to take up my offer, feel free to! If not, that's okay, as well. Whatever you'd like to do.

I've decided I'm going to have a go at this. I've not tried writing anything for about a decade, but what's the worst that can happen? :D

Username is the same over there if anyone's interested :)

Archived