What it means (for me) to be asexual

MacAran

A lot of my close friends, although they've been really accepting, have had trouble wrapping their head around what I mean when I say "I'm asexual." I've found myself saying things where I've either actually, or mentally added "that's what it means for me to be Asexual. Example: Today I was explaining something to one of my friends who was talking about having sex dreams, and I said that any thing remotely like a sex dream I've ever had was more of an abstract, make-out kinda thing than really sex, because sex as an idea intrigues me a little bit, but as a physical act it kinda wierds me out and puts me off, "and that's what it means to me to be an asexual." Of course the specifics are going to be different from person to person, so I thought it might be nice to have a place to share those things if anyone wanted to. Either things you've explained to others that sort of sum up what being an Ace means for you, or just a line you think that really explains how you feel, even if you've never actually had to use it to explain to someone.

It means for me that I don't desire sex. I don't hate it. I will probably have it. I wouldn't be against having it. I just don't crave it much.

Blue Phoenix Ace

I typed up the web page in my signature and plopped it on Facebook for all to see. It doesn't go much into the emotional aspects of asexuality though, such as feeling like an outsider. It's more like an introduction, explaining what it is.

I may do future blog posts about the emotional parts, but you can also find plenty of Ace blogs out there that talk about such things. You could create a list of links and email them for people to (probably) ignore.

Archived