am curious

though i am understanding that asexualiy causes are not well known.

so i am wondering if it was my negative childhood that was a determinant.

Many asexuals who've had abuse in their childhoods are also concerned about whether that abuse caused their asexuality, or was a contributing factor. Most say that it wasn't, but whether or not you think your experiences were a contributing factor, they don't invalidate your orientation.

SpeedinThroughSpace

I had/have loving parents, a wonderful sister, and grew up in a household where sex was considered no taboo, but a simple part of the world. My parents have gay friends and openly speak up for gay rights. I grew up being told that sex is normal, but I never felt pressured to have it, either. I have never been abuse sexually by anyone. And yet I ponder if I'm ace.

Without any knowledge on psychology, I could imagine someone getting sex-replused due to an experience with abuse, but I don't think they'd completely stop being attracted to anyone.

I think it's kind of like when some people say someone being homosexual is down to 'wrong' upbringing. It is not. In fact. there is interesting research on how sexual orientation and gender identity may be down to brain structure (transgendered people's brain having the general 'layout' of their identified gender) and other physical reasons.

If you're curious:

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_transsexualism

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digit_ratio

It was found out that many homosexual people have digit ratios that are different from their gender's 'normal' values. There were also studies about hormone responses and the like, all of which point at there being actual physical reasons for someone's gender identity and sexual orientations. So, I think it would make sense to think of people being born the way they are, and that would go for asexual people as much as for everyone else.

SpeedinThroughSpace

I just meant to say there are many possible reasons, and that it doesn't have to be anything bad like abuse, that it (like many other things about a person), could really just be how they are born.

SpeedinThroughSpace

I just meant to say there are many possible reasons, and that it doesn't have to be anything bad like abuse, that it (like many other things about a person), could really just be how they are born.

No, you're good. I'm just leaving that reminder for the thread as a whole. It's a bit of a sensitive subject and there's a history of people making generalizations about asexuals this topic is brought up.

Phew. Didn't want to tick anyone off during the first two hours or so I'm here. ^_^