Sleeping Habits

marauders

Sleeping Habits  

12 members have voted

1. 1. When I sleep, it must be...

• Completely dark in my room. No light whatsoever.
    • Mostly dark; I leave a hall light on/use a night light for visibility purposes.
    • Like daylight, basically. I need ALL the light.
    • Other [I will explain in a comment.]
  2. 2. When I sleep, it must be...

• Completely silent.
    • Normal; I can fall asleep despite outside noises/neighbors/etc.
    • I need something playing; a podcast, nature noises, classical/instrumental music, etc.
    • Other [I will explain in a comment.]
  3. 3. When do you *usually* go to sleep on weekdays?

• Earlier than 9pm
    • 9pm-11pm
    • 11pm-1am
    • 1am-3am
    • Later than 3am
    • It varies. I will elaborate in my comment.
  4. 4. When do you *usually* go to sleep on weekends?

• Earlier than 9pm
    • 9pm-11pm
    • 11pm-1am
    • 1am-3am
    • Later than 3am
    • It varies. I will elaborate in my comment.
  5. 5. Would you consider yourself a morning person?

• Yes.
    • Sometimes.
    • No.
  6. 6. Do you take naps?

• Yes! I love naps.
    • Sometimes.
    • Only if I'm sick.
    • No. Naps are evil and they mess up my sleep schedule.

This poll is closed to new votes

Just curious!

I usually need my bedroom to be completely dark when I'm sleeping. I even own some blackout curtains, although I don't currently have them up. I do, however, need there to be some sort of noise; I tend to favor podcasts--currently, I listen to Sleep With Me--or apps that play rain/storm tracks.

Normally, I try to be in bed between 11pm-1am during the work week. It varies more on the weekend depending on whether or not I'm home/traveling, what I have planned, etc.

I don't really like naps, and I usually only take them when I'm sick/injured/have a headache/etc.

I am not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm not a night owl, either. I guess I'm an afternoon/early evening person; I usually hit my stride from around noon-6pm

Anthracite_Impreza

My sleep pattern at my house is different to that at my mam's house; here I go to sleep between 12 and 1 usually, at my mam's it's 1-3 (complete with different waking times). My mam's is basically a holiday.

I guess I committed myself to explain in my answer to the first one. I chose other because there is no way I must have it. I sleep in complete dark, I sleep with the streetlights shining through my window, and I often sleep outside at night at summer without anything kind of roof above me (which is light where I live). Basically I'm just not so strict with the lighting.

Bonus information: I also like to sleep with my bedroom door open :D

I think you should add a question about when you fall asleep - it would be interesting to see the difference between when people go to bed and when they fall asleep. I for one, go to bed around 10:30, but I always fall asleep well after 11:30.

I tend to have trouble getting to sleep. I need the room to be completely dark, and (while no longer absolutely necessary as it once was) it helps a great deal to have one of those surf-noise producing machines going. I usually get to bed around 2:00 AM, and if I'm lucky, I fall asleep relatively shortly thereafter. This doesn't vary much depending on the day of the week.

I can only take naps if I'm so sick that I basically have to. Otherwise, it is as far as I can tell impossible for me to do. They might be nice for all I know.

I don't bother with light switches here at home and have a 36W tube straight above my bed. - Since I'm hitting the bed pretty late and hate curtains / window blinds I'm ignoring regular daylight anyhow.

I'm usually OK with a bit of noise. I can sleep splendidly in some folks cars for example. Sometimes I enjoy soothing music on a low volume just above the PC fans, but thats more for the general mindset; I guess I could do without too.

TheLastStarCat

When I sleep I prefer it very dark, but I like to always know the time, so I have a dimly glowing digital clock

I don't really care about sounds, podcasts and music are great but I don't care enough to set something up. Too tired

Weekdays I go to bed around 10-10:30

Weekends depends on when I feel tired, but often 11-1

I can't take naps because I'm never tired enough during the day, or it's too bright

beautifulglider

To elaborate on my 'other' answer as far as silence vs sound, I sleep with a fan going in the summer and a white noise machine the rest of the year. My house has thin walls, so it helps to block out the sounds of others in the house who may still be up and about. Also, answering the 'morning person' question is so hard for me. I mean, I love the morning. My favorite--and usually most productive--time of day is between 10am and 2pm. But I'm extremely slow and reluctant to wake up. If you talk to me within an hour of when I grudgingly tumble out of bed, all you'll get is grunts and death-glares in response. I guess I'm a morning person but not a waking-up person? :rolleyes: :lol:

I usually can't sleep when I have things to do. I have so many random thoughts when my head hits the pillow that sleep is almost impossible. I just have to find something to relax my mind and afterwards (if another thought doesn't pop up) I can finally sleep. Hopefully....

WhenSummersGone

I'm afraid of the dark so there's a light on near my bed. I prefer silence, go to bed after 3 am, not a morning person and I'll take naps.

CaesiousSilver

I pretty much picked the 'elaborate' option for all of them, so... I guess I have to elaborate.

I'm terrible at sleeping regularly. Sometimes I feel like sleeping takes up too much time, so I'll just... forego it... for a while.

Light: Darkness is nice when I'm actually asleep, but it's never completely dark in my room due to things like the lights on my modem or the 'off' lights on my monitors (which flash on and off and are actually really god damn annoying... need to put tape over them or something <_<). Howeverrr, I often fall asleep while reading, which means my bedside lamp is on, so light clearly doesn't bother me that much. xD

Sound: Either total silence or low-volume music.

I... don't really want to get in to what time I go to sleep. There's no routine with me. Which is bad, I know, but I'm terrible at self-regulation when it comes to sleeping. D: So often I'm too caught up doing something that time just slips through my fingers and suddenly it's 7am. Happens most often with writing... or reading. Reading either sends me to sleep or keeps me awake. :mellow:

But I'm really good at 'accidental' naps. Like if I'm chillin in bed reading in the late afternoon. I do that a lot.

I wish I could take naps but with school and all I shouldn't have any time for naps. Besides, my Dad gets pissed off real bad if when my brother sleeps through dinner and I'm not trying that. I can only sleep when there's silence but my parents' radio switches off at 11pm, so I can't get to sleep until after then.

I sleep in almost complete dark and silence. Sometimes the darkness and silence bugs me, and I want to turn on the light or have some noise, but I never do. Music keeps me awake because I'll focus all my attention on that (humming the song if I know it, tapping my fingers to the beat, listening to the lyrics) instead of trying to sleep. Some nights I'll open my curtain a bit so I'll have some moonlight, but most days it's completely dark.

I have a bedtime for myself which is 1am, but I can never get off my computer/phone at that time so I always end up staying up until like 3ish or later. It's awful the next day, I feel like I'm just going to pass out in class, and I tell myself I'll go to bed earlier this time, but I do the exact same thing again! Every night!! Around the end of the week (Thursday usually) I have a crashing point where I'll go to bed at around 12 or earlier because I just can't keep my eyes open any longer.

I only take naps if I'm sick, or if I have an exam the next day. Chances are, I didn't get a good nights sleep the day before, and I know I won't have a good nights sleep that night either so I'll be falling asleep, and not focusing during my exam if I don't take that much needed nap.

I don't have lights on, but the external lighting in our neighbourhood is such that I can walk around in the middle of the night anyway so it's not completely dark.

Noise isn't a problem, if I'm tired I'll fall asleep. Being under the flightpath for Gatwick and next to a railway line you naturally filter noise out.

I usually go to bed around midnight and am awake before six, so I'm a morning person.

I only nap if sick, or I'd had to get up at silly o'clock.

I cannot stand light and I cannot sleep with a TV on or anything (if I'm really tired, while the sun is out with my curtains drawn). Additionally, noise isn't my favorite thing to hear when I'm trying to sleep either, however I like white noise (not TV, but the sound of rain is nice). I know I don't get the sleep I need during the weekdays, mostly 'cause of homework and i gotta get up at 6 AM. I normally go to bed at 1 - 3 AM. On the weekends i like to stay up all night to draw and such, but i also like to sleep, so depends.

And naps are the only thing keeping me sane.

I don't mind the light. Or the noise. If I'm tired, I will sleep and nothing can stop me. I usually go to sleep at 12am

Since I can go to bed at night or in the day, I don't mind much how bright it is although it's easier to sleep when it's dark. For noise however it must be silent or at least nearly. There's no "usual" time I do go to sleep. I used to take a lot of naps during my college years, but not now.

I've been a horrible insomniac for my entire life. I want to sleep but i just can't. I don't think it's anxiety, since i don't really feel anxiety about trying to sleep. It seems like i just get into a half-asleep state where i'm conscious and aware and yet also semi-dreaming and it is horrible and not refreshing at all.

So in order for me to sleep everything has to be exactly right....

Total darkness (dark room preferred, but since i work nights and sleep days i have to use an eye mask which is uncomfortable and makes it harder to sleep)

White noise is a necessity. any kind of really loud fan is the best. If i get stuck somewhere without a fan, there are certain songs that sometimes help if i play them over and over again on my ipod, but a fan is much more ideal. and not a quiet wimpy fan. it has to be loud.

I answered "it varies" for the time question because during my work week i sleep days (usually from about 11 am to 7 pm) but on weekends i tend to waver towards sleeping at night.

morning person? - meh, kinda. i do wake up a lot more alert than most people, despite not sleeping very well. i find the "awake" state much easier to summon than the "asleep" one if that makes sense. whether i could actually be considered a morning person depends on my work schedule, but i do wake up very easily.

Naps - tempting, but i try to avoid them because i can't fall asleep that quickly anyway to take a nap, and it just messes up my sleep schedule.

other things - medication is unfortunately another requirement for me to sleep (currently ambien, i also sometimes add an OTC sleep med on top of that to make it more effective). a familiar bed/room is important as well, door must be closed. i have a pre-bedtime routine i follow. and i hate thick pillows, the pillow has to be thin so my neck isn't bent too much. and something to hold onto (yeah i sleep with a stuffed animal, childish i know)...and i make my bed every day, but i untuck the sheets before going to bed because i hate the pressure on my feet....i like cotton sheets, and a top blanket that weighs a lot without being too hot is a must. and the room should be cold, about 55 degrees. and no other people in the bed or room. oh and pajamas....loose cotton pants and t-shirt and undies are a must. no bra, usually no socks. i dont know how some people can sleep naked...just nope, no can do. i also have to be laying in a position where none of my muscles feel engaged/tense.

I need light because my anxiety commonly goes haywire in the dark (arachnophobia). I can deal with sound, but I prefer silence.

I can sleep in basically any level of light, but what really gets me is noise. I need to be listening to music or a podcast or something, otherwise it'll take me ages to fall asleep.

I generally head to bed between 12am and 2am everyday. I have all night classes this semester and I'm not really a morning person so I sleep in a lot. I also take frequent naps on the weekends

Complete darkness.

I listen to music.

Whenever I feel sufficiently tired.

Again, whenever I feel sufficiently tired.

No. If it were up to me and if it were possible, I'd ban mornings.

I don't nap. Not because I hate them, but simply because I'm unable to.

Truth and Lies

When I sleep, it must be...

I can sleep with a lot of light or complete darkness or somewhere in between. Really, it doesn't affect me much unless it's harsh, bright light from a TV or something (say, a white screen on a close TV). Even then, I just roll the other way and close my eyes. Light conditions don't matter to me~.

Noise levels matter a bit more to me when I sleep, sort of. I'm more comfortable sleeping with noise, such as quiet music or people talking (most recently, I listen to Totalbiscuit and Jesse Cox play Terraria~ :>). However, I can sleep just as well without any sound. I just... I'm good at sleeping. XD

When do you usually go to sleep on weekdays?

It really varies. Some days I have classes, some I don't, some days my classes start earlier or later. I almost never go to sleep before midnight, and after that it can vary anywhere from one in the morning to four.

When do you usually go to sleep on weekends?

It... also varies. I have a class on Sunday, but it's not too early, so I still may stay up rather late. I just go to sleep when I want to.

Would you consider yourself a morning person?

Not... really. >.>; My family accuses me of being a zombie in the morning. I mean, I'll get up if I need to get up, but I like sleeping, a lot, so I'd prefer to laze around in bed for twelve hours.

Do you take naps?

Sometimes. The problem is, I don't like napping where people can walk in on me (say, living room), but if I nap on my bed, it won't be just a nap, it will be a literal cat nap where I wake up fourteen hours later wondering what happened... eh heh.

I live in the city so the sky is always a bit lit, not completely dark. By i need my door closed and the fish tank light off. I like to keep my eyes open while i lay there and if its dark, its almost like having my eyes closed.

I've got a clock with ocean noises :wub:

When do you usually go to sleep on weekdays?

About 2:30-3:30 am

When do you usually go to sleep on weekends?

uhm 2:30-3:30 am

Would you consider yourself a morning person?

Yup! if I get up at 6 or 7 I find that I have more energy and feel better throughout the day.

Do you take naps?

Naps make me feel like I'll vomit when i wake up from them

I sleep with it mostly dark. I have a blue light to counteract the yellows at night for my depression. (It's great!) I turn that off when I'm about to fall asleep and there's always something playing - movie or show and sometimes a relaxation video or audiobook. That provides the perfect amount of light for sleeping. I usually go to bed around 8 and fall asleep 9-11 on all days of the week. I've grown to love naps. I'm often fatigued so they help. I was a night owl for 22.5 years until about 9 months ago. My sleeping habits changed drastically on its own. I used to go to bed in the am and wake up in the pm. Now I'm an early bird. I've always loved mornings but now I can actually enjoy them. So I'm usually a morning person.

inactive12345

No noise, no lights, period. (Living in a big city or sharing bedrooms are torture for me).

I aim to get to bed around 10 on weekdays, and on weekends I tend to get bored with the party/internet/novel/whatever else I'm doing at about midnight, so I'll go to bed then.

I'm not naturally a morning person, but I start work at about 7:30am so I just adapted to it. *shrugs*

No light. I like to have a fan running. But it has to be constant it can't have a ticking or change pitches or anything. I can go to sleep anywhere between 8PM and 11PM any night of the week. I don't consider myself a morning person because I'm never happy having to wake up early but I also wake up easily and get out of bed no problem. And I only nap when I'm sick.

No light. Not even glows coming from an alarm clock or a glow in the dark remote. I even got blackout curtains to help keep out any lights from outside, and a sleep mask when I was in college where we weren't allowed to have curtains, just the cheap plastic shades. Everything has to be silent too, unless it's a constant noise, like a fan. If someone is in the other room and talking, I can't go to sleep (I have really sharp hearing).

I usually go to bed around midnight on weekdays, so I can get about 7 hours of sleep (I prefer more, but there's no way I'm going to bed before midnight unless I'm sick). On weekends, I won't go to bed until sometimes 3am and, before I had a job, I'd sleep whenever because I have non-24 hour sleep cycle, meaning my days are slightly longer. I'd go to bed around midnight, next day it'd be 2am, the next 4am, and so forth. When I have a set schedule (job) it usually keeps it at bay, but still leaves me in a grumpy mood in the morning. I used to take naps all the time in college when I had morning classes (only time they were available) but after I started scheduling afternoon classes only, I didn't need to take naps anymore. Now I can't take a nap if I wanted to because, well, work. Baaaaah.

Archived