Edmonton Pride

Morning Glory

Morning Glory

I just got into contact with someone from the Edmonton Pride group. I asked them about their views on Aces and any involvement in their future parade. I was given the reply that they recognize and appreciate our community, and that they made changes to their blogs to accommodate asexuals; like including helpful information. Then they inquiried as to what sort of participation I had in mind for the parade. It sounds like we may have a chance to get involved. There are forms to fill out for a float! And applications for vendors! They also told me that they would get back to me on any other possible ways to increase ace involvement, once they speak to their executive board. I plan on doing what I can to spread asexual awareness as well as education regarding asexuals. I also want to provide a chance for aces to meet, sell and/or purchase ace merchandise, and make an impact anyway they can. Is anyone interested???? I'm not so sure I can do much on my own.

(If this was mention anywhere, I apologize for my incompetency.)

Morning Glory

The EPFS Website: http://www.edmontonpride.ca/index.html

June 3-12

I'm currently checking out the parade application...

I've contacted a fair amount of people, but I'd still welcome ideas and suggestions from anyone, regardless of whether or not you will be attending. I'm open to hear from everyone. I'm also wondering what to do as a vendor... I'm thinking about investing in some materials and sell necklaces, as well as cupcakes/cookies/etc. I'm wondering if I should use the food as a giveaway for donations; those donations would be used for raising asexual awareness. I've never attempted something like this before... *ponders*

Oh! On another thread, I've also mentioned Jasper Pride

Lady Longshadow

I think some Pride Parade visibility would be fantastic.

One simple thematic idea would be to march in the parade dressed up like playing cards (ala Alice in Wonderland) except they would all be aces. I think a float shaped like a giant cake would also be fun, but much more resource intensive..

As for awareness raising; are there any good pemphlets that could be handed out?

Morning Glory

The thing is... I'd like to have at least 4 people in the parade and so far I just have myself and my friend (who said she'd like to dress as Sailor Saturn since she has purple, and I was thinking about wearing ace colours with my purple and black raccoon tail and ears, but our outfits may change if we decide on a theme.) also... As much as I'd love a float I'm not sure if I could pull it off; my resources might not be enough. If anything I might only be able to have someone volunteer to drive with us and let me deckout their vehicle. I was thinking about riding my asexy bike; I could pull a mini... Thingy. I could decorate that and fill it with hand outs and water bottles for the walkers. For the parade I'll need someone to be a marshall and a team leader, and it would also be helpful to have back-ups for them.

As for pemphlets... I made quite a lot that I meant to hand out but never did, but they're not that great... I'd like to remake them I think. And include additional things along with them...

Oh, this is great. I am, sadly, not actually 'out' to my family. One thing to not get discouraged, though: Even if you only get a few people, I assure you that that will still raise awareness. I mean, everyone would wonder what's going on with such a small float.

I can take a look at the pamphlets if you have them electronically, of course.

• 1 month later...
Avenite with the name

Are you still looking for people? Because I just recently came out, and I would love to be a part of the parade, I don't have tons of ace merch or anything, but if I get some thread I can make friendship bracelets with the ace flag color? I could also make cupcakes or something like that, just let me know if there's room or if there's anything I can do.

Morning Glory

Oh, this is great. I am, sadly, not actually 'out' to my family. One thing to not get discouraged, though: Even if you only get a few people, I assure you that that will still raise awareness. I mean, everyone would wonder what's going on with such a small float.

Sorry for the late reply Ficulnean! I'm glad to get your opinions and thoughts on all this! Your comment on the float was very uplifting; I was worried it would be pitiful but I had never thought of it that way. *sweats* course now I'm a bit nervous about it now! And about the pamphlets: they are not electronical but I can scan them for you. I'll try to do that tomorrow.

Are you still looking for people? Because I just recently came out, and I would love to be a part of the parade, I don't have tons of ace merch or anything, but if I get some thread I can make friendship bracelets with the ace flag color? I could also make cupcakes or something like that, just let me know if there's room or if there's anything I can do.

I am most definitely still looking for people! Though I'm getting wonderful support here on AVEN, I'm still alone at the frontlines (so to say). It was starting to look like I'll be alone on the parade, and I was trying to figure out how I could ride my bike and pass out fliers and other such things. I was actually hoping for friendship bracelets! I was gonna get my little sister to make some too~ I still want to make cupcakes but I'm worried I won't have time for it. Any sort of help is always appreciated! I'd love to have you join me! :3

Recently I picked up some clay. It'll be my first time trying to craft anything like this but I'm excited for the results! I'll be mixing up the ace colours and adding some effects. If it all works out I'll be getting pendants that are a swirl of purple, black, white and silver. Each one is going to be different. And I plan on making some of them have additional effects, like transparent or glow-in-the-dark aspects mixed in as well. I've decided to fashion them in a way so they can be used as either a necklace, bracelet, keychain, whathaveyou. I just hope they turn out nicely. If they do I'm hoping I can make romantic orientation charms too! It'll be made to be able to hook onto the ace pendant. I'm hoping to also make additional accessories for them as well. Basically I'd like to set it up so you can mix and match and make your own jewelry. :3

I also recall seeing a video on Bottled Pride. I'm hoping I can make those as well! Then I started wondering if I should make it a "do it yourself fun project". It's simple enough...

*mutters* how can I add pictures... Oh hang on!

k0fubq.jpg

(Geesuz! I still don't know how to make the picture smaller...)

I made this a while ago at (and with the charms and beads from) a store. I bought the charms so I could make more necklaces that I can sell at the Pride Festival. :3

Oh, my god. Don't make that picture smaller. It's beautiful!

Avenite with the name

Yeah, that is gorgeous! And I would love to help out with the parade, I can also ask some people at my school's gsa if they want to get involved, and I can definitely make some bracelets and treats. I just hope we get a good number of people to show up.

Morning Glory

Oh, my god. Don't make that picture smaller. It's beautiful!

Awwwww~! You guys are making me blush~! =^^=

Yeah, that is gorgeous! And I would love to help out with the parade, I can also ask some people at my school's gsa if they want to get involved, and I can definitely make some bracelets and treats. I just hope we get a good number of people to show up.

Gsa? Are the also asexual (just curious)? More people would be helpful, especially since I'm not sure how many are needed to be in the parade. I know they want people to marshal and all that... I also might need someone to watch the booth, during the parade, I'm not sure yet.
Avenite with the name

Yeah, the group is kind of supposed to be all-inclusive, it's just easier to call it a gsa cause that's more recognized. And yeah, more people is always nice, I was going to ask next week, because we have a presentation on body positivity, so there should be more people than normal. I'm also trying to find as many people as I can outside of school, it just takes some time. iwill try to post again when I have more people interested, and am trying to track down some good thread for friendship bracelets, so I'll try to report back when there's more to say.

Morning Glory

*flails* i can't figure out how to upload a file, so... i'll just try to put my leaflets up as images instead..

2z5ncp4.jpg11v14lx.jpg2rz49he.jpg

14bnuh.jpg16m25hi.jpg2466l8h.jpg

There. Sorry about the delay, as well as the poor quality. This is my first asexual awareness leaflet and I expect that my next one will be better. Also... The order of the pictures is sort of off. ^^;

Morning Glory

This is an excellent pamphlet Morning Glory!

Awww~! Thank you~! I wasn't so sure. Rereading it, I noticed I had a few spelling mistakes and a few things could've been worded better. I was also thinking I might've put too much in there; pamphlets seem to be better as a short and sweet kind of deal.

As for awareness raising; are there any good pemphlets that could be handed out?

Lady Longshadow? Ficulnean? What do you guys think of the pamphlet?

Also! I finished the first "prototype" bracelet that I'd like to be selling at the Pride Festival.

nfppp3.jpg308kzdd.jpg

Delete account please

oooo, I like the style of this bracelet. Very good!All our flag colours too(clapping wildly☺)

Hey, I have a few clarity of writing issues, but no problems at all with the material. You for sure have all the right sections covered. (In example, on the page about AVEN, the 'two distinct goals', there should be a comma after asexuality so the 'and' between acceptance and discussion doesn't make it seem like those are the two goals and then confuse the reader.)

I just realized that this is obviously a scanned document and that pointing these out may or may not be useful, based on if this is a prototype. If it is a prototype, want to PM me the plain text and I can make a few edits?

I like the two graphics you used by the way; They work very well in grayscale.

Avenite with the name

Yeah, the pamphlet and the bracelets look really awesome! How did you make the bracelets like that? I'd love to help make more. Also, I've talked to people at my school, and one of my friends said they can probably come, and I made a post about it in the Facebook group, so we should be hearing from more people soon! So far, this sounds like it will be a lot of fun, I can't wait!

Morning Glory

oooo, I like the style of this bracelet. Very good!All our flag colours too(clapping wildly☺)

I'm glad you like it! I'm getting worried about my merchandise to be honest. ^^; to me it feels like amature arts and crafts projects.

Hey, I have a few clarity of writing issues, but no problems at all with the material. You for sure have all the right sections covered. (In example, on the page about AVEN, the 'two distinct goals', there should be a comma after asexuality so the 'and' between acceptance and discussion doesn't make it seem like those are the two goals and then confuse the reader.)

I just realized that this is obviously a scanned document and that pointing these out may or may not be useful, based on if this is a prototype. If it is a prototype, want to PM me the plain text and I can make a few edits?

I like the two graphics you used by the way; They work very well in grayscale.

Heheh... Yeah, I already made like... 100 or so copies. So it's not like I can fix them now (I really should have put the text up here for critique and suggestions and such first... Oh well). But i wouldn't say it's too late. Cause this advice is helpful for the next time I go to make them. So thank you~! Also I'm glad the pictures turned out so nicely. I did make the effort to find the best ones suitable for greyscale (though i actually pondered over the idea of highlighting certain parts with purple. ^^; I quickly scrapped that idea when I realized how much work it'd be).

Yeah, the pamphlet and the bracelets look really awesome! How did you make the bracelets like that? I'd love to help make more. Also, I've talked to people at my school, and one of my friends said they can probably come, and I made a post about it in the Facebook group, so we should be hearing from more people soon! So far, this sounds like it will be a lot of fun, I can't wait!

Thank you! I learned how to make the bracelets from Pinterest actually. :3 there are tons of amazing ideas on there! Here's the link. *wiggles in excitement* oh~! I'm so glad we're getting more people! :3 thanks for your help in recruiting others! I can't believe I never thought to go on FB.

Hi, I saw your post on the Facebook group. My friend and I would love to march with you! Let us know if we can do anything to help.

8D glad to have you and your friend! I'll be sure to keep you posted! :3
  • 2 weeks later...
Avenite with the name

I think the merch and stuff is coming along pretty well, I tried out the friendship bracelets the way you showed, and I think I've got the hang of it, so I can make lots of those, and I can also work on some posters and tshirt designs, I'll post them here when I have a plan of some sort, and I found a bunch of recipes for color full cakes and treats and things that we could have just for fun, or for the vendor. Also, the Facebook page said something about waivers for the parade? Is that something we need? This seems to be coming along nicely, it should be fun!

Morning Glory

I think the merch and stuff is coming along pretty well, I tried out the friendship bracelets the way you showed, and I think I've got the hang of it, so I can make lots of those, and I can also work on some posters and tshirt designs, I'll post them here when I have a plan of some sort, and I found a bunch of recipes for color full cakes and treats and things that we could have just for fun, or for the vendor. Also, the Facebook page said something about waivers for the parade? Is that something we need? This seems to be coming along nicely, it should be fun!

Excellent! I was thinking of posters and t-shirts as well! For the poster I was thinking of turning it into one of those display boards. For the t-shirts I was thinking of getting a white shirt and using purple and black tie-dye, but I never tried it before and I'm a bit hesitant. I'll leave the desserts up to you! :3 I was thinking of selling them at the booth, but with no fixed price, just a donation. And yes we will need to fill out the waivers (I was gonna mention it next month), but I'll look into it more. I think I should contact that guy soon; though he said he'd message me when he heard back from the executive board. When I get the chance, I'll go back and look over the information on their site (hopefully tomorrow).

I came across a lot of stuff online that I think we can use to help us make fliers, posters, display boards, etc.

23h1tlu.jpg

ifdi8g.jpg

350o292.jpg

2ecqd8p.jpg

15czi20.jpg

Also these might be useful:

6qz8td.png

213me4p.png

dh8ax.png

It is coming along very well it seems. :3 I'm getting excited.

Morning Glory

Yo,

Never did any marching before. Not really sure how I feel about it. But I will track this post and think about it :)

Awesome! :3
Avenite with the name

ok, i have two poster designs done, and im trying to put photos of them on here, hopefully it works

im just going to post the picture urls, so maybe you can put them in the search box and see, cause i give up on trying to post photos

first poster:

blob:https%3A//mail.google.com/c4d308c5-3c53-47d6-99b8-1d5d287eb618

second poster:

blob:https%3A//mail.google.com/43238a20-8cfb-4bc6-90be-ce8f305724eb

also, i kind of overestimated how much time id have, so i can't make the friendship bracelets or too many more posters, but i can probably still make the treats and a few more posters

• 2 weeks later...
Morning Glory

ok, i have two poster designs done, and im trying to put photos of them on here, hopefully it works

im just going to post the picture urls, so maybe you can put them in the search box and see, cause i give up on trying to post photos

first poster:

blob:https%3A//mail.google.com/c4d308c5-3c53-47d6-99b8-

second poster:

blob:https%3A//mail.google.com/43238a20-8cfb-4bc6-90be-

also, i kind of overestimated how much time id have, so i can't make the friendship bracelets or too many more posters, but i can probably still make the treats and a few more posters

Unfortunately... I can't see the pictures. I've also had a difficult time uploading stuff. When I want to show pictures I go to tinypic.com

And it's all good. I've been too busy to do much of anything. Work kept calling me in. I'd like to say I'll be able to get things done soon but whenever I said that I jinxed myself, so I won't say it this time.

Now for my progress... I've managed to make a few pendants. This is probably the best of the bunch so far:

1z6uzrr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Morning Glory

Oh gawd! I had a feeling this day would sneak up on me and it looks like it has!

Okay people we gotta put our noses to the grindstone! It's crunch time! I've contacted a Pride representative, and I'll see what we can do but I'm hoping we can still march and set up a booth. I'm gonna see how well I can make a tie-dye shirt and if it turns out nicely, maybe we can wear them in the parade. What do you guys think? (I also saw something I might want to do. A shirt that said: "ask me about asexuality.") I'll try to finish the merch. What shall we do for the pamphlets and display board? I'll start looking for any banner options, and hopefully we can get one (looks like it'll be too late for a flag order, but maybe next year). If I can get us a banner, what should be on it?

Morning Glory

... Okay. So the Pride representative who I contacted in Febuary never got back to me. When I reached out to them a few days ago, I didn't get a response until today. Apparently everything is already set up and changes/adjustments can't be made now. So no booth, and no section in the parade...

But I still intend to spread awareness!

I purchased a customized ace flag and I was invited to join another group. ISMSS: Institute for Sexual Minority Studies and Services. I believe it's a group from U of A. I'm going to wear our colours, and see what I can do about handing out pamphlets and selling merchandise. If anyone else still wants to march, please tell me and I'll see if it's possible for anyone else to join.

I'm sorry, everyone. I've failed to do a very good job. I will learn from this and do better next time...

That's too bad, though it doesn't sound like it's your fault. I'd love to march with you if it is possible, but I'm also OK with keeping an eye out for you when I watch the parade. Thanks for taking the time to try and push this through.

Oh, that update is . . . actually, I'll be looking more into that group you mentioned. You've already been really informative, and I think that since you've done this it will only get easier from here on out. So, it's not all sad bad news. (Funny fact, a relative of mine invited me to march in that pride pradesh for entirely different reasons. I said no.Becayse, if there had been an asexulity group, despite not being out, I'd be too excited to see it to not just head right on over. Ironic fact?)

Morning Glory

That's too bad, though it doesn't sound like it's your fault. I'd love to march with you if it is possible, but I'm also OK with keeping an eye out for you when I watch the parade. Thanks for taking the time to try and push this through.

Thank you, Voculae. I'm aware that it's not all my fault, but I'm sure i could've done more. But like I said: I will learn from this and do better next time. About marching: I texted my friend and he sent me an e-mail address. I'll PM it to you (figure it would be best to take out the "middle-man/person".) that person would know and hopefully be able to figure something out for you. :3

Oh, that update is . . . actually, I'll be looking more into that group you mentioned. You've already been really informative, and I think that since you've done this it will only get easier from here on out. So, it's not all sad bad news. (Funny fact, a relative of mine invited me to march in that pride pradesh for entirely different reasons. I said no.Becayse, if there had been an asexulity group, despite not being out, I'd be too excited to see it to not just head right on over. Ironic fact?)

Thank you, Ficulnean. I'm sure you're right about it getting easier from this point on. I've already learned quite a bit and the experience (points) I've gotten is definitely helping me in getting better at spreading awareness. I've also been gaining more confidence and getting a lot of ideas. (That is quite funny. :3 in an ironic sort of way.) also! My singing instructor suggested that i spread awareness during Canada Day as well; a colleague of hers is doing what he can for the LGBTQA+ community and he may be able to help me out somehow... But~ I'll have to wait and see how things work out. ^^;

Archived