Hi, I am Joe Parrish, ace candidate in the 2016 Elections

Joe the Stoic

Joe the Stoic

I was recently interviewed by Gay Star News about being an openly asexual candidate in the 2016 elections. Then user Kappamaki made a thread about it here. The admin Kelly messaged me on Facebook and mentioned in the thread that maybe I should join AVEN. I started getting more people following my campaign page on FB, so I thought it might actually be a good idea to join, and here I am. Thanks to both Kappamaki and Kelly.

So I've introduced myself. I guess I will let you guys take it from here.

Welcome to AVEN.

I look forward to reading everything you will accomplish now and in the future.

Have a beautiful day.

Welcome to AVEN. Someone posted an article here about you a few days ago, so thank you for reaching out to the community. I'm not in your state but goodluck with your campaign! Will be watching you.

Welcome Joe Parrish,

I had read the article done by Gay Star News and as a Political Science Major myself, I am extremely proud of both your candidacy and incorporating asexuality into your political identity. It is a bold move, however if successful it will be a significant step forward.

Hopefully I speak for most of AVEN right now, We wish you the best of luck in your election.

Hi, and Welcome to AVEN.

I admire your efforts to become politically active and work for a better future. In your state, Clay Aiken ran for U.S. Congress last year as openly gay and he was defeated. I wish you the best of luck in your political career. I believe your candidacy will help educate many more people that asexual people do, indeed exist, and that we have an organized community called AVEN.

If I could, I would vote for you, Joe.

Nea Rose Symphony

Hi Joe! So glad you could join us asexy aces! ^.^ I wish you luck in your political career; it would benefit both you and us aces as a whole

Hey, welcome to AVEN!

Good luck in your election, and thanks for bringing more awareness to people!

Also,

It’s like as if you’re taking a multiple choice test, and none of the answers are right, you’re going to assume one of the bubbles you fill in is the right one so you pick one.

Holy crap that's the perfect way to describe that feeling.

DannyFenton123

I saw an article about you in AVEN a few days ago; best of luck in your election and have a wonderful day!

Welcome to AVEN!

Sapphire Rose

Hello hello!

I am not one for politics, but I wish you the best of luck in the election :)

Dodecahedron314

Welcome to AVEN! I'm glad you've been able to do so much in terms of both politics and visibility, and if I lived in North Carolina, you'd have my vote!

Hi Joe!

Welcome to AVEN! :cake: I read that interview a few days ago after seeing it on Tumblr and I think it's pretty cool that you're promoting ace visibility. Good luck with your campaign!

What got you interested in becoming involved in the government? What do you plan to accomplish if you do get elected? What is your end goal? Congress? President?

I do like that your main focus seems to be education. I see almost everyone talk about it, but it's never anything more than "we need better schools" or "we need a better system." I live in Michigan, very near Detroit. On the way to and from work everyday, I hear no end to the teacher "sick-outs". Detroit schools are incredibly awful. The better ones do exist, but they are usually the charter schools or the private religious based institutions. The majority of public schools are low on funding, outdated on books and technology, or may not even have what they need in the first place. Some of the buldings are run down, or in violent neighborhoods. Kids have to walk through violent neighborhoods to get to them. And so on. So I get it. the problem's bad. But teachers skiving off work to protest really doesn't seem to make it better. Their kids are going to fall behind, because the schools have had to close one some days. This affects parents too, because the ones that work now have to find other solutions for their kid. Most cant afford childcare, and most cant easily take them to work with them. Yet when you look at a few years ago, a similar issue happened. Teachers were on strike, which led to school closings and Detroit having to extend classes into the summer. Nothing ever got solved then, and I don't think it will now. And no one seems to want to do anything other than make the "sick-outs" illegal. It's alright to have that discussion too, but that's not going to solve the massive issue of Detroit's failing school systems. They should really be having THAT discussion first. Maybe if they did, the teachers would be more inclined to go back to work, because they know that someone actually cares.

I don't know what schools are like in your district that you're running for. Honestly, they are probably a little better off than Detroit. But I get it, and I really appreciate, as a citizen, that you're talking about education. If you get elected, I'd even be more interested in any action you'll take. Which leads to this. What is the current situation in your state, and how do you want to take action or change it? What are you going to do about it if you can?

Joe the Stoic

What got you interested in becoming involved in the government? What do you plan to accomplish if you do get elected? What is your end goal? Congress? President?

I do like that your main focus seems to be education. I see almost everyone talk about it, but it's never anything more than "we need better schools" or "we need a better system." I live in Michigan, very near Detroit. On the way to and from work everyday, I hear no end to the teacher "sick-outs". Detroit schools are incredibly awful. The better ones do exist, but they are usually the charter schools or the private religious based institutions. The majority of public schools are low on funding, outdated on books and technology, or may not even have what they need in the first place. Some of the buldings are run down, or in violent neighborhoods. Kids have to walk through violent neighborhoods to get to them. And so on. So I get it. the problem's bad. But teachers skiving off work to protest really doesn't seem to make it better. Their kids are going to fall behind, because the schools have had to close one some days. This affects parents too, because the ones that work now have to find other solutions for their kid. Most cant afford childcare, and most cant easily take them to work with them. Yet when you look at a few years ago, a similar issue happened. Teachers were on strike, which led to school closings and Detroit having to extend classes into the summer. Nothing ever got solved then, and I don't think it will now. And no one seems to want to do anything other than make the "sick-outs" illegal. It's alright to have that discussion too, but that's not going to solve the massive issue of Detroit's failing school systems. They should really be having THAT discussion first. Maybe if they did, the teachers would be more inclined to go back to work, because they know that someone actually cares.

I don't know what schools are like in your district that you're running for. Honestly, they are probably a little better off than Detroit. But I get it, and I really appreciate, as a citizen, that you're talking about education. If you get elected, I'd even be more interested in any action you'll take. Which leads to this. What is the current situation in your state, and how do you want to take action or change it? What are you going to do about it if you can?

I decided I wanted to be involved in politics when I was 14. I was outraged over the Iraq War and at President Bush for causing hundreds of thousands of deaths and ruining the lives of millions more, all based on a bag of lies so that he and his buddies could carry on with war profiteering. I made the decision then that I would devote my life to becoming a politician and preventing such atrocities from happening again, at home or overseas.

Well, NC's education system is ranked 44th in the nation (we used to be 27th before the Republicans took over), so if we are better than Detroit/Michigan, it isn't by much. It's shocking that Governor McCrory and his lackies thought that they could slash teacher's benefits and education funding in general and think that a good result would come out. A sound education system is the foundation of a healthy republic. Eisenhower invested in the nation's schools in the 50s, which churned out not only skilled workers but a better class of citizens. Consequently, the 50s and 60s were a prosperous time for us. Somewhere along the way, Republicans have lost sight of what made our country great under a Republican president such as Eisenhower. If the GOP won't bring back their own values to the policy table, then I'll bring them back as a Democrat. I'll fight for putting more money into schools and better compenstaion for teachers, because teachers deserve it, and our state is losing teachers as a result of this Republican administation. Not that I blame the teachers. Who wants to make a career out of having to buy paper and other school supplies just so you can do your job? Who spends money to go to work?

Welcome to AVEN! :cake: Thank you for joining! I did read that article before. Wow, that's so cool you decided to join. : ) I agree that Kelly and Kappa are awesome people...hooray for them bringing you to this community! Best wishes with your campaign and all! And I hope you enjoy being a member~

chocolate-fudge-cake.jpg

Welcome! :cake: Like many people here, I found out about you from that news article when it was linked here. It takes a lot of courage to come out as an openly asexual candidate, and I'm glad that you've been encouraged to join! I wish you the best with your campaign!

Ahoy-hoy Joe, welcome to Aven!

I don't even share the same hemisphere as yourself and I must confess you have my attention. Politics in the US have a global influence so I'm always watching events fold out from the sidelines. The platform upon which you stand politically is one near and dear to my heart. I won't claim that Australia (as a whole) has a horrific education system. I did however have the misfortune of attending a high school that certainly left much to be desired (regular drug busts by police, violence, systemic bullying, poor supplies and services, outdated / near dangerous faculties).

On a personal level, the more exposure and understanding of Asexuality, the better I believe. Best of luck in the now, the near future and into the long term.

-PJ

Nea Rose Symphony

Upon being elected to office how will you promote ace visibility?

Joe the Stoic

Upon being elected to office how will you promote ace visibility?

First thing I would do is check the state sex ed currculum and then introduce legislation to make sure it is up-to-date about asexuxality.

Nea Rose Symphony

Sweet! That would definitely help your state's education. Perhaps even encouraging other states to do the same

Joe the Stoic

Sweet! That would definitely help your state's education. Perhaps even encouraging other states to do the same

Yeah. States often have that sort of domino effect on each other like that. Massachusetts is probably the reason why we have gay marriage nationally now and not later.

Nea Rose Symphony

Really? I did not know that about Massachusetts having that effect on the USA. Anyways, I hope the day comes when I'd be able to come out to anyone and they'd actually know of it instead of wondering what I'm talking about

DannyFenton123

Sounds awesome to me! I'd love to have a more diverse sex education introduced... Or at the very least, a sex education. But my state ranks 47th, so I don't know if it's better anywhere else.

Hello! I'm not in your state, but welcome and good luck!

welcome to AVEN! nice to have you here. wish you very very good luck to elections :cake::cake:

Welcome to AVEN, Joe! Good luck with your campaign. :cake:

Archived