Hey, I'm new, posting in the Welcome Lounge. :)

SolitaireWitchWithCat

SolitaireWitchWithCat

Hi, I thought I'd just post here, no biggie, I'm an older aro ace actually, been that way forever (no questioning period, apart from some really hilarious dating during uni), and I'm both thrilled with my life and how it's gone, and with my place in it.

That being said, I am distinctly not 'out' to anyone in my family or social circle, which is of course my perfect choice, but it's led to some awkward situations for me! So I'm here to try and work out if I do want to come out to the people in my life (some of whom almost certainly expect something like this) or if I'm just going to figure out how to be a good member of the community while I get my footing. Thank-you to everyone for being here. :D

Hi! Welcome. I feel you on the awkward situations, I'm not out to many people either. Whichever you decide, I wish you luck, and everyone here will be more than willing to help out :D

Welcome to AVEN!

On the topic of coming out, while I think that every person who comes out helps ace visibility and acceptance, I think it is a very personal decision about a personal part of your life and you don't owe coming out to anyone. If you don't want to come out, that is a perfectly fine and that decisions should be respected. I feel that about all orientations and genders. Whatever you choose I believe will be the right decision for you.

Anyway, I hope you like it here and become a member of the community. There are some really nice people here! In the mean time, please enjoy some oh-so-asexy welcoming cake!

6933079785_d5f852e1d0_b_zpsxm2ffpkr.jpg

Welcome to AVEN! :cake: Thank you for sharing a bit about yourself with us! I'm glad that you made your way here. : ) There are members of all ages in this community. Also, coming out isn't easy to do...it's not necessary to do so either; only do it if you feel comfortable with it. I understand having awkward situations, though, when people aren't in the know. Just take your time...explore the site. There's a lot of wonderful advice and wonderful people that can relate to you. Best wishes, and I hope you enjoy being a member!

chocolate__fudge_1.jpg

Welcome! :cake: It's up to you whether you want to come out to anyone or not. If you want to, you should only when or if you're ready. Do you think the people you might come out to would be accepting? Just to be prepared, it could help to learn to counter the misconceptions (i.e: "It's just a phase", "You'll change when you meet the right person"), and point the other person to resources such as this site.

There are a lot of ways to contribute, and make friends here! I hope you have a good time here! :)

Hi and welcome! Thanks for your intro! This is a great place to make some new friends and feel supported too. I'm glad you joined and hope you love being part of this awesome community.!!! :)

Z38DhfH.jpg?1

As others have mentioned, coming out is a very personal decision and you should feel real comfortable about it...so your thought that settling in here for awhile first is a good idea! :)

welcome to AVEN!

thanks for your intro. nice to have you here! :cake::cake:

SolitaireWitchWithCat

Thank-you everyone, I've gotten cake, and cats, and confidence--I want to be a contributor in a good way!

I really do appreciate the help with coming out, even to close friends and family...it's not something I would do lightly, especially after all this time! But if and when I do, at least I can rely on AVEN being here to help explain things. I can be, well, a social babbler with stuff like this. I may just print out a nice business card with AVEN's info and hand it out with my 'please stop setting me up with people' requests from well-meaning people. :redface:

LOL! I am gonna eat so much cake hanging out here, I can feel it already. :lol:

Archived