Meet the first US politician to come out as asexual

Kappamaki

Joe_Parrish.jpg

Meet Joe Parrish. He’s like any other 24-year-old political science graduate at the start of his career.

Except for one thing; he’s coming out as asexual –meaning he feels no sexual attraction – in order to fight for visibility.

If this young Bernie Sanders fan, former private in the National Guard and Harry Potter nerd wins office, it will be another step forward for sexual minorities for the USA.

GSN sat down with Joe, who is running as a Democratic candidate for Granville County and Person County in the North Carolina House of Representatives, about his campaign, the changes he’d like to see and his asexual-ish family.

Full Article: http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/first-asexual-politician/#gs.null

This would be awesome if we had some representation in the government! Unfortunately I'm not American (nor am I old enough to vote) but best of luck to the States in the elections.

How is he a politician?

what do you mean? if you're asking what his political background is, he's running for a position in the north carolina house of representatives.

Ooh, that's mega-awesome! Having an asexual politician will definitely help us, and I'm glad that he's decided to come out for visibility's sake. :)

(It's a good plus that he's a fellow Potter nerd XD)

While it may help for visibility, it does not mean they are qualified to run and be decent in office. I ain't voting for someone just because I am like them. I will only vote for someone, if I know what they can do for my country and that's it. I do not care what gender, orientation, religion etc.

How is he a politician?

If you want to get technical. All Admods/ PT members who were elected in are politicians. As well as anyone that has ever run in an AVEN election. Anyone that has ever competed for a position of representation voted by democratic means is a politician.

Now; what are the rules to enter as a candidate? It varies depending on the contest; if this 24 year old is throwing his hat into the voting box then he is certainly a politician with the United States Government.

How is he a politician?

what do you mean? if you're asking what his political background is, he's running for a position in the north carolina house of representatives.
Yeah I see :blush: For some reason I didn't Read the last paragrafen, only the two first :redface:

How is he a politician?

If you want to get technical. All Admods/ PT members who were elected in are politicians. As well as anyone that has ever run in an AVEN election. Anyone that has ever competed for a position of representation voted by democratic means is a politician.

Now; what are the rules to enter as a candidate? It varies depending on the contest; if this 24 year old is throwing his hat into the voting box then he is certainly a politician with the United States Government.

About AVEN, sorry for breaking your bubble; but no.

How is he a politician?

Yeah I see :blush: For some reason I didn't Read the last paragrafen, only the two first :redface:

:) yeah, they didn't make it super clear that he was running for anything in the article itself, either!

That seems good for asexual visibility. :cake: to Joe Parrish.

Perhaps he can join AVEN. :)

Is that his house? It looks like something from the 1600s and even more authentic than my house. I would love to see it.

While it may help for visibility, it does not mean they are qualified to run and be decent in office. I ain't voting for someone just because I am like them. I will only vote for someone, if I know what they can do for my country and that's it. I do not care what gender, orientation, religion etc.

We seem to be opposites on the political spectrum, but I couldn't have agreed more with this post. In truth, your asexuality really shouldn't be a topic, like religion or any of it. Just what you can and will do and how well you will do it.

Joe the Stoic

We seem to be opposites on the political spectrum, but I couldn't have agreed more with this post. In truth, your asexuality really shouldn't be a topic, like religion or any of it. Just what you can and will do and how well you will do it.

I agree. Like I hinted at in the article, I am not trying to run as the asexual guy. I am trying to run as the jobs-and-education guy. I doubt I will even mentioned being asexual in my district unless specifically asked. It has nothing to do with policy, but I did bring it up to r/asexuality because it might interest them. That led to the interview with GSN, which led me here.

Welcome to AVEN, Joe! :cake:

Thanks!

If I had your poster sir I would put it up in my room

Also if I was American I'd tots vote for you

Archived