"Asexuals and Pansexuals" by [adjective][species]

House of Chimeras

House of Chimeras

[adjective][species] is a group of individuals who do an annual survey within the furry fandom. On the group's blog on their website where they sometime discuss aspects of their research and their plans for bettering their surveys, in September 2014 they posted about the prevalence of asexuals and pansexuals among those who took the survey.

That year's survey (The 2014 Furry Survey) found that about 5% of the responders identified as asexual and that the percentage did not vary with age or how long they had been in the fandom. However, despite being 5% of their data, they had originally overlooked that group when posting some their results previously.

"Asexuals are often invisible in conversations and analysis related to sexual identity because they are seen to be irrelevant to the topic at hand. This can cause them to be ignored altogether, which in turn can lead people to believe that they don’t exist."

[...]

"Recently, here on [adjective][species], we published a visualization that showed how species choice varies with sex, gender, and sexual orientation. Due to an early design decision, we didn’t show our data on asexuals. That was a mistake.

Our failure to present species data for asexuals is an example of erasure. Please accept my apology—the fault belongs to me, JM."

(The mention of "species" refers to the species chosen by a furry as their personal avatar or original character to portray themselves within the furry fandom.)

Here is a link - http://www.adjectivespecies.com/2014/09/22/asexuals-and-pansexuals/#more-1967

Interesting! This could either be some evidence that asexuals are more common than we previously gathered from the faulty info gathered in that UK study, or simply as they say - that asexuals are more prevalent in the furry community. We can't tell which, but it's interesting. There's a few different factors (such as the two I mentioned) that could be responsible for the number.

House of Chimeras

Interesting! This could either be some evidence that asexuals are more common than we previously gathered from the faulty info gathered in that UK study, or simply as they say - that asexuals are more prevalent in the furry community. We can't tell which, but it's interesting. There's a few different factors (such as the two I mentioned) that could be responsible for the number.

I would hazard to hypothesis that its just that asexuals are more are more prevalent in the furry community. While other surveys into the furry fandom have found similar higher than 1% numbers as well (one survey results example here - https://sites.google.com/site/anthropomorphicresearch/past-results/iarp-2014---3-fandom-project),overall the number of non-heterosexual orientations within the furry fandom is very high across the board compared to general public statistics basically. Which is very interesting unto itself as well.

That is a very well written article. Thank you for linking it.

Also I'm totally following the blog

Certainly interesting. Though it perhaps once again shows the problems with trying to determine just to what extent a certain population exists. Any statistical survey is limited by its questions and the depth there of, which then affects how rigorous the presentation is. Especially if either the option doesn't exist or there's a required field that needs to be filled when you don't actually have an answer to put there; if a data set is gathered with flaws of consideration it will also bias your results. Even if you do have the information...if you know what your audience is going to be interested in or understand, this may also bias your displayed results.

Though on the other side of it, perhaps the increased incidence of reportage stems from the fact that it's as part of a larger community group; if you're already comfortable with one kind of statement of self (anonymity being what it is) you've less to be potentially worried about 'coming out' as something more or less mundane by contrast.

Either way...interesting, though as the article notes...there's a lot of limitations for accessibility that likely factor in some manner or other on more specific studying.

Archived