Hipster?

Decaf

I was called a hipster yesterday, seemingly on the grounds that I have a beard, a man bag, and I listen to vinyl.
They are missing the point...I've been doing this since the 1970s :)

Sounds like you've been doing it since before it was cool.

Hipster has been around since the 1940s. It's older than you! Kids today...they think they invented hipsters. You could correct them and say that you're a hepcat. That would confuse them in an amusing way. Maybe lay some hepcat jive on them too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_(1940s_subculture)

Personally, my definition of Hipster is that it's a synonym for Poser, someone who only claims to like something while it's fashionable and/or claims to be a fan of something without actually knowing anything about it.

Example of the first type: The 1980s nostalgia you saw everywhere last decade has largely gone away, but the ones who were always fans are still there.

Example of the second type: People who claim to be "huge Disney fans" but praise Frozen for "spoofing" or "subverting" cliches, not being aware that Disney themselves have almost NEVER used those cliches completely straight to begin with (seriously, there's only one or two films in their entire history where you could honestly make the argument that they did).

I got called retro once as I liked pearl jam :-)

Ha-I still consider Pearl Jam as my most recent "new" band (1990) that I like.

I know what you guys mean about 'new' music. Some of the albums I think of as my more recent purchases are 15 years old :-)

'Hepcat' is a great word!

Who was it that called you a hipster?

I've been listening to vinyl records since the 70s too! I still listen to cassettes as well.

Ok a week or two ago out of the blue texted my friend in Boston-a long time PJ fan that I'd be interested in seeing them the next time they came around. As timing would have it he responded saying he was just entered into a drawing to get first crack at tix to the Fenway Park show in Aug. and to stay tuned. So today he texted me, he was picked. I was very excited. Then he texted that too many friend for amount of tix and I should get tix when they go on sale to general public. So basically equivalent to I won, but you didn't. I called him on it. We'll see. It's not easy trying to be a hipster.

I have records from the 50s through the 80s. My favorite eras are the 60s and 70s. I mostly prefer LP record albums. I have 45s for the hit songs I like when I don't care for the whole LP record. I like a variety of music, but my focus is mainly on classic rock and progressive rock.

Archived