Asexual having Sex dreams

Modern.

So I identify as Asexual I have for a while but last night I had a dream I was having sex with a friend now I just feel weird about everything and awkward around her. Does this mean I'm not actually asexual? What's going on?

Nope, happened to me quite a lot for a while (with more friends, casual acquaintances, imaginary characters, etc. than I care to admit), still ace. What it does sound like, however, is that you are libidinous, and it is likely the dreams will recur occasionally.

Dreams are just dreams. They may be telling you something, but most of the time they mean nothing. I dreamt one time I had sex with my friend. He's gay. I never thought about him sexually, and never had after the dream aswell.

I dream about killing people and getting killed but does that mean I'm a murderer or I'm going to become a murderer?

but if you were to trust the Freudian, Jungian, and Perlsian theories .. that'd be unfortunate. It could be your fears coming into play and other unconscious desires.

or you could look at as random brain activity being interpreted by the brain stem.

I've had 'sexy' dreams. They have been few and far between and mostly awkward, especially when I've woken up (I apologize if this is TMI) sticky and vaguely nauseous. Which is apparently as close to sexually aroused as I get. (I'm going to assume that that majority of humans do not experience nausea as a result of erotic thoughts. If so, that would totally suck.)

I think it's a tiny, tiny bit of libidinousness hidden deep in my brain and occasionally being like, "But...you're not reproducing the species? Why are all the other body parts going along with this?!? It's madness, I'm taking over--"

Sadly for that teeny part of my reptile brain, erotic dreams about fruit, trees, Batman, or Faith from Buffy don't actually help me to pass on my genetic material.

I certainly don't think that having these dreams makes me not asexual. They are usually just as weird as, and sometimes contiguous with, my 'normal' non-sexy dreams which have featured everything from fish-zombies to tiki gods to being lost in a waterpark with shopping carts to going undercover with catering to defeat Lord Voldemort and his telepathically controlled Velociraptors.

I don't think dreaming about it makes me likely to combat Lord Voldemort or have sexy times with Batman (or in your case your friend) so I wouldn't be concerned.

It's fully possible that sex dreams aren't a sign of libidinous tendencies either. People usually have sex dream about two categories of people:

1: People they are intensely attracted to.

2: People they have a deep sens of trust for.

As an example of the second, it's pretty common for people to have sex dreams about their therapist, or a doctor they see for a serious chronic illness. You don't have to have any kind of physical or romantic attraction to these people for that to happen, it's just the brains amalgamating different types of trust. Even if it were true that you were attracted to your friend, it sounds like it makes you uncomfortable to think of physical intimacy with them. What you actually want to do, in the sober light of day, is the only thing that "means" anything of significance.

Archived