Here's a scenario...

levelskid

If you were an asexual parent and suspected your child might be asexual as well and wanted to teach them more about it, how would you approach them?

Blue Phoenix Ace

It seems like when they normally do sex ed in school, you could then ask if they covered asexuality during the classes. If that time has already passed, then I think just being blunt might work best.

I agree with "DJ Erkenfresh" , But it depends on cultural conditions. Sex ed in school and Openness about sexual orientation is not the same in world. So my answer to your Q is, I'll see the conditions then I'll decide about it.

Hopefully by that time, asexuality will be commonly taught in schools for sex ed. I remember hearing a bit about asexuality in sex ed so I kind of expect it to be taught in the late 2020s (early 2030s?) or something. I don't know how I'd suspect a sexuality in a child, but I'd make sure they knew what LGBTQIA+ was. Or maybe labelling will be less common in younger generations?

If it counts I tried to talk to one of my younger friends (2 years younger) about the LGBTQIA+ movement, but she didn't really believe in bisexuality and thought being a lesbian was gross so I stopped talking about it to her. Looking back she didn't like the idea of sex either but by the time I was gonna talk about asexuality I was already uncomfortable with our conversation so I just stopped. Makes me kind of guilty though...

If I really strongly suspected that, I'd talk to my child and tell my experiences and feelings when I was younger. How and how much, it would depend on my child's age. But hopefully it could give them something to relate to so they won't feel alone and "abnormal".

• 6 months later...
cavalier080854

Does the child know that one or both parents are asexual? If not, then in the above scenario I would explain that I was asexual. Then you have opened a door for the child. That way you have put the ball in their court for any further discussions about their sexuality.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I think, in retrospect that my family were aces. Out of 9 brothers and sisters on my mother's side, I'm the only child! I had one maiden aunt, and 7 bachelor uncles....the other aunt was married but had no children. My mum was the only one who produced a child, me. Sex was never on the radar in my family.

As a result, my daughter is the last of our line. No wonder the ace of spades is the emblem of aro aces! Being the 'death card' it seems to wipe out families.

I also want to answer, in that my mother is AroAce (or somewhere in the grey area). Growing up, my parents never had what's stereotypically portrayed by sexual and romantic couples. So, when I was more exposed to American culture as I grew older, I was confused by all the dating and sex that teenagers usually seek out. My mom never used the words asexual or aromantic because the terms weren't popular until recently. I feel my father could be heterosexual aromantic but it's not for me to decide.

I turned out AroAce. I'm the only child so I guess no grandchildren for my parents.

I plan on educating my children about various sexualities from a young age, so I wouldn't need to worry about having to explain asexuality because I actually thought that they might be themselves.

But if I was in a situation where I didn't do that, and I thought they were . . . I guess it would depend on how old they were, for one thing. But I would probably just tell them about my own experiences. If they wwere asexual then great, and if they weren't then great.

No wonder the ace of spades is the emblem of aro aces! Being the 'death card' it seems to wipe out families.

Why is that line so fascinating to me. . . .

I think, in retrospect that my family were aces. Out of 9 brothers and sisters on my mother's side, I'm the only child! I had one maiden aunt, and 7 bachelor uncles....the other aunt was married but had no children. My mum was the only one who produced a child, me. Sex was never on the radar in my family.

As a result, my daughter is the last of our line. No wonder the ace of spades is the emblem of aro aces! Being the 'death card' it seems to wipe out families.

Very shocking. It reminds me a lot the family of my ex girlfriend.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I remember an incredibly ace moment when my daughter started taking an interest in sexual things when she was about 13...it wasn't so much anybody she was interested in that shocked me, but the fact she was interested at all! She couldn't see why I was so surprised!

I remember an incredibly ace moment when my daughter started taking an interest in sexual things when she was about 13...it wasn't so much anybody she was interested in that shocked me, but the fact she was interested at all! She couldn't see why I was so surprised!

I think that it's very similar to the family of my ex, my ex has 2 uncles and 3 aunts and of course her mother, from the all 6, only her mother married and had a daughter, and her husband divorced her after just 4 years of marriage and married another woman, I always supposed because they had almost no sex.

When the 6 brothers and sisters are together, they don't kiss, touch or do anything very warm. I can't explain it with words, but it's obvious that they are not interested in sex or even touch.

Archived