Valentine's day when you're single - suggestions?

WinterWanderer

WinterWanderer

Hey everyone!

So, every year on Valentine's Day, I try to do something to celebrate my single-ness (as opposed to wishing I had someone to celebrate with). It doesn't have to be something big; last year, I just watched netflix and ate ice cream with whipped cream.

I was wondering if anyone does anything similar? Or if you have any suggestions for good ways that single people could spend Valentine's day (either alone or with friends/family).

What do y'all think?

I might go spend a day with my camera and maybe go to the movies to see Deadpool during the evening.

Never really think about it personally, so it's a day like any other far as I go.

Still...if there are people you like being in touch with, any day is good for just doing 'stuff' together.

I'll probably do my usual and just treat it like any other day, which means playing video games after work and stuffing my face with chocolate (after I eat a very nutritious meal of course). No, seriously, almost everyday I eat chocolate, whether it's brownies, cake, cookies, or regular ole chocolate candy. I might have a chocolate addiction.

Just like any other weekend day for me. If I do decide to do anything special it might be bookshopping and/or a chocolate treat (but, like Chemic, I eat chocolate everyday; unless I'm really sick - and I shop for books lots of weekends).

Ever After, a huge bowl of Muddy Buddies (or called Puppy Chow . . . it's just Chex cereal liberally coated with a chocolate-peanut butter sauce and copious amounts of powder sugar), some comfy afghans, and me and my perpetually single sister cuddled together on the couch for night in. It's sort of a tradition by this point.

I'm going to tea with a small group of friends on the 13th. Should be fun!

Manic Pixie Dream Nerd

I normally buy all the chocolates from the supermarkets and such while they're discounted....indulge myself :lol:

Stole mine :P.

Well, this year my family has tickets to see The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime on Broadway that day, so I'm going to be in NYC seeing a play :D. Much more fun than having an SO *thumbs up*

I used to give all my friends valentines to celebrate, though. (Yes, even when I was in middle school and no teacher was forcing us to do it)

WinterWanderer

Just like any other weekend day for me. If I do decide to do anything special it might be bookshopping and/or a chocolate treat (but, like Chemic, I eat chocolate everyday; unless I'm really sick - and I shop for books lots of weekends).

Yesss a trip to the bookstore is a great idea

Midnight Star

To me it's just another day I celebrate being alive by playing video games, watching anime, and studying. Unfortunately I can't hang out with my friends that day.

I can appreciate holidays from a distance, but I don't really celebrate any of them. Just never feels right for me for some reason.

Truth and Lies

I tend to spend Valentine's Day helping my mother do something special for her boyfriend or vice versa. Otherwise, I may get yummy chocolate or stuffed animals from my family, but the day will proceed as per usual.

Yes, I vote bookstore.

Rainbow~Sprinkles

Grab some single friends and have a movie marathon. - Horror, tragedy, comedy etc.

Discount chocolate, the huge urge to dance in my apartment, a big enough selection of movies (horror marathon!), and since Valentine's Day is on Sunday this year, no school=no need to give a damn.

CaesiousSilver

Yes, I vote bookstore.

I also strongly support this idea! Maybe Valentine's Day for single aces can be Go-to-the-Bookstore Day. :D We deserve to treat ourselves. With books.

Other than that, without any kind of reminder I'll probably forget that it's supposed to be a big deal. I know I did last year. ^_^

Daniel John Sheaffer

Spend the day listening to music. Watch your favorite movie. Oh. And The Walking Dead season 6 continues on that day!

Work during the day, and flop on the sofa with a book and a beer in the evening, same as any other Sunday.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

Deadpool movie 110%

Blue Phoenix Ace

Netflix and chill, literally, not the hidden meaning. :) Deadpool will probably be fun too. I tend to stay away from my coupled friends on that day. I figure they are busy gettin' some.

During the day I'm just going to do my regular stuff like working out at the gym, going out for lunch, cafe, etc. Then my family and friends (singles and couples) are getting together in the evening to do hot pot. So basically we're going to stuff ourselves with delicious food and some drinking. Afterwards we'll probably get a couple of tables of mahjong going. Then maybe a movie on netflix. It's family day the following day so no need to sleep early! :D Can't wait!

SorryNotSorry

For me it will be just another day.

I've never thought about celebrating my single-ness LOL

Valentines for me is 'just another day', and I don't even go to the store the day after for half-price candy.

I found this online

You could volunteer at a homeless shelter, orphanage, or senior center and love on some of our society's forgotten. Take your parents out to dinner to thank them for their love that created you

I'm in a relationship right now, but I can't stand Valentines Day. Last year I spent the day ignoring my SO while watching Melodifestivalen (Swedish song contest) online, and the year before I celebrated breaking up with my ex by watching a movie and eating tangyuan (since it was Lantern Festival).

This year I'm probably going to watch Melodifestivalen again on the 13th, still ignoring my SO (since it's such an arbitrary day and overhyped commercially anyways)

I don't do anything. I don't really acknowledge it so Valentine's Day is just another normal day to me. It's a Sunday this year, so it will be spent lying on the sofa playing video games and probably doing some ironing.

Strategically plan my chocolate shopping for the next day as if they were Black Friday sales

CaesiousSilver

Strategically plan my chocolate shopping for the next day as if they were Black Friday sales

Ooh. I like the way you think. ;)

I just sit on the couch and watch anime.

i'm also planning on just chillin' alone. movie doesn't sound like such a bad idea, though... :)

I tend to stay away from my coupled friends on that day. I figure they are busy gettin' some.

good point. i usually avoid my single friends, since they're usually kinda sad and mopey. for me, it's a day to celebrate my singleness! :D

Archived