What is your opinion on marriage?

SnowLady

Just curious what the majority of people here think about marriage lol.. Do you think marriage is a great idea? A dumb idea? Or???

WinterWanderer

I like the idea of marriage. Sharing is important in a relationship, and marriage is the ultimate commitment to share everything you have with someone else.

Would I actually get married? Dunno.

That's cool, I mean any marriage is, traditional, gay, lesbian, cetero, polyamory, asexual, cupioromantic, etc. It's nice when 2 or more persons want to spend their lives together and be a family.

I think its upto the people involved.

I am glad i never had no sex drive, so i am fine being alone and always will be.

But like i said, if people want to get married, thats fine with me, two gay people also. As long as those two are of consenting age, and both want it, fine. I see nout wrong with people wanting to be married, its there lifes.

But for me, i never wanted it, and never will. Just like being alone is my natural state, and will be till my death, i can understand why others need people.

I think the main reason for marriage, is that people did not want to die alone, as dying can be a horrible lonely thing probably. I see nout wrong with people wanting that bond with others, so that there last moments, are not alone, as its probably scary.

But like i said, i am staying alone for life, so i accepted long ago, i will be dying alone, and we all die of something, and many people do die alone. So what ever will be, will be on that.

Well about me, I'm unable to get married, where I live genderqueer persons can't get legally married or even marry in a church.

Anthracite_Impreza

*shrugs* Whatever floats your boat, neutral, live and let live.

Me personally, nah.

I'm about the same as above. If people feel like they really want to get married, than that's totally cool. But I can't ever really see myself getting married. A long term partnership, sure. But I would probably only get married for the taxes or if one of us needed the other's health insurance.

I'm all for people choosing whatever relationship they want with other people, whether it's romantic, practical, or both (usually is a combination). I like the idea of having a family that you chose, but I'm not personally interested in marriage. I don't want children and I'd much prefer a partner that was not financially dependent on me (at least not permanently), so I don't really see any personal benefit.

I like the idea of marriage in theory, but I think it depends on the people involved. I know that I could probably never be happily married, and there are probably others who would not benefit from being married, but for other people it can be a great thing.

To each their own. Personally, I'm actually pretty indifferent about marriage. For me, it would probably ultimately depend on my partner; if I were with someone I loved very much, and marriage was important to them, I would be fine getting married. If it wasn't something important to them, then I would also be fine not getting married.

I never could imagine myself as a married woman and it's still like that. When I was at my 20's I really couldn't understand why people want to get married when they know it's a risk. Now I can understand them but for myself, "why should I bring a stranger to my home and let him be in my bed!" (I know this kind of thought is odd, but it's what I feel about having a husband).

I'm indifferent, if people want to be married then they can be, regardless of gender/sex.

It's up to them if they want to, and I have no opinion in the matter (since I never have any intentions of being married).

Amphicoelias fragillimus

Same opinion as most people here. If the people involved both respect each other, love each other completely and are willing to spend their lives together; all props to them. For me personally? Not sure, haven't really thought about it.

Lord Jade Cross

Im with Snow on this one. A logistical (among other types) of nightmare, especially when the "Youre suppose to"'s fly.

I couldn't do it. I can't barely enjoy living with a roommate or keeping up with close friendships. There are a few benefits with getting married, the legal stuff, so I suppose if I could marry someone and we live in separate homes, and not feel an obligation to be in a close relationship, sign me up! But.... normally doesn't work that way for people. I'm just not even going to touch it.

Personally I don’t want to get married. Most people where I live associate it with religious and gender-based social norms, both of which I have exactly zero interest in being a part of.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, though. With the right partner I’m sure it’s a good thing overall. Also, married couples are favoured in the economy. Marriage as a concept predates recorded history in plenty of cultures, and as such comes a certain significance. Whichever way you'd like to consider that. The way I see it, if you feel the need to make an official and legally binding commitment to your partner - in a modern society - by all means have at it. To each their own.

Same here, I think marriage can be a good thing though I have strong opinions on the discrimination of non-hetero couples in my coutry. So, I have something against the conservative institution of mariage as it is practised I guess ?

For me personally ? Never, I could not share my personal space like that.

<bitterness>Expensive. :P Especially at the end. :P</bitterness>

I have a problem with marriage. There are many valuable types of relationships, and it's not right for the government to favor man+woman (or more recently, man-man/woman-woman). Why should this specific relationship be singled out for government benefits?

See these sites for more thoughts:

http://www.againstequality.org/about/marriage/

http://www.beyondmarriage.org/

Siimo van der fietspad

I ought to discriminate here between marriage and actual wedding ceremonies:

Nothing wrong with marriage per se, I'm sure it makes couples feel good and probably gives their relationship a boost. I'd personally only get married if there were tax advantages or to get citizenship, and it would be little more than a quick trip to the registrar's office.

Weddings... well, I do like weddings for one reason: they're great business (I'm a musician and couples will happily throw stupid amounts of money at employing me and my mates to make some pleasant noises all evening. Usually free food and booze too). Obviously repeat trade is pretty rare.

Other than that...well, at worst a wedding is a cripplingly expensive, cloyingly sentimental, environmentally destructive, tedious, exhausting and grindingly slow set of ceremonial gestures and conspicuous consumption that's increasingly pointless now that most allosexuals have been at it since their first date anyway. I seem to have a talent for sniffing out the subtle tension between relatives miffed that they've been shunted down the table order or who had a less expensive whatever at their own luvvy girl's big day. And it's rather uncomfortable for anybody not hooked up; everything seems based around being in couples from the seating plan to the dancing. Better experiences have included nice dinners and some free drinks.

Also, however nice it all seems at the time, I can never help thinking 'you know, statistically, there is a fair chance that within fifteen years this will all implode into an ugly carcass of shouting and child custody lawyers'.

For others? Don't care. Go ahead and marry someone, go ahead and marry five someones I really don't care as it's not my business.

For myself? Eh, very poor history in my family. Basically everyone in the last generation of my family has been married two to five times and it always ends...messily.

El-not-so-ace

I would love to get married with someone. Even with the prelevance of divorces, I really believe in trying to make a marriage work so I really want to marry my soulmate one day. :)

Ace of Amethysts

I ought to discriminate here between marriage and actual wedding ceremonies:

Nothing wrong with marriage per se, I'm sure it makes couples feel good and probably gives their relationship a boost. I'd personally only get married if there were tax advantages or to get citizenship, and it would be little more than a quick trip to the registrar's office.

Weddings... well, I do like weddings for one reason: they're great business (I'm a musician and couples will happily throw stupid amounts of money at employing me and my mates to make some pleasant noises all evening. Usually free food and booze too). Obviously repeat trade is pretty rare.

Other than that...well, at worst a wedding is a cripplingly expensive, cloyingly sentimental, environmentally destructive, tedious, exhausting and grindingly slow set of ceremonial gestures and conspicuous consumption that's increasingly pointless now that most allosexuals have been at it since their first date anyway. I seem to have a talent for sniffing out the subtle tension between relatives miffed that they've been shunted down the table order or who had a less expensive whatever at their own luvvy girl's big day. And it's rather uncomfortable for anybody not hooked up; everything seems based around being in couples from the seating plan to the dancing. Better experiences have included nice dinners and some free drinks.

Also, however nice it all seems at the time, I can never help thinking 'you know, statistically, there is a fair chance that within fifteen years this will all implode into an ugly carcass of shouting and child custody lawyers'.

Agreed with all of this. Marriage on its own is perfectly fine, but weddings are just costly, tiring and horribly singulist (prejudiced/biased against single people) wastes of space.

Somewhat obsolete, but you can still give it meaning as to how much you'll share your property/raise kids in that environment.

Salted Karamel

I like the idea of marriage but I don't know if I could ever find someone I could be in a marriage with.

Marriage from the way I see it is... interesting. I'm not against it, I'm more so personally against the actual wedding part (I think it's a waste of money), and besides, it's supposed to be about both the people in the marriage making a commitment to each other, is it not? Not like the entire world needs to know about it.

Would I get married? Probably, just without the wedding bit (government benefits yo!)

If 2 people want to get married I see that as their choice (straight or gay, doesn't matter)

As for me getting married, no thanks...its not something I'm interested in.

(I'll end up being single forever anyway so its a question I don't ever have to worry about coming up)

I believe marriage is a good thing in that it gives people who really care about each other a chance to live together and be legally connected, as well as it can be easier to raise children when you have that kind of ties (not that there aren't other ways).

I think the problem comes when society decides that is what is expected of people, because there are many people who would be much happier not married, and so for them their is no reason they should have to ever get married.

I personally have kind of just imagined marrying my best friend for a lot of my life, because up until recently I didn't even realize that wasn't how marriages normally worked. So basically I kind of think about marriage as officially associating yourself with a companion who you love who keeps you company and who you can support each other.

Archived